Television Shows you are watching on TV or DVD now.

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Re: Television Shows you are watching on TV or DVD now.

Post by Omphalos »

I did watch Westworld. I really liked it. But I thought the big mid-season reveal was pretty fucking obvious. I called it in episode 2.

My daughter and I have been watching Stranger Things together. Pretty good. I hear that OA is really good too. I started the first episode about a week or so and thought the first 1/2 hour was pretty formulaic, so I dropped it. But people have been raving since then, so once we are done with Stranger Things I am sure that Binx and I will watch OA next.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Iron fist.
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

Ripper Street on Netflix
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

inhuien wrote:Iron fist.
I watched the first few Iron Fist episodes too. Those Marvel/Netflix shows are pretty damn good.

Goodnight Golden Path!
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Ampoliros wrote:Also, I don't care how good the chicken soup is in Game of Thrones, it can't cure sepsis.

Oh, can't it?????

http://pilotonline.com/news/local/healt ... 04196.html

Goodnight Golden Path!
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Hulu has released the first episodes of a series based on Margaret Atwood's The handmaids tale and I think it is freaking awesome! I have read the book over thirty years ago and am almost desperate to read it again just because of these series. This is a need to watch series!
Last edited by Serkanner on 06 May 2017 14:21, edited 1 time in total.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I recently watched Twin Peaks. What a bunch of nonsense. I hope new series explains some of that shit.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Serkanner wrote:Hulu has released the first episodes of a series based on Margaret Atwood's The handmaids tale and I think it is freaking awesome! I have read the book over thirty years ago and am almost desperate to read it again just because of these series. This is a need to watch series!
Totally agree. I have seen the first two episodes and thought they were really well done. So far they have done a fantastic job of capturing Offred's submission to power and her very subtle deviancy. The movie from the 90's was a bit more revolutionary in tone than the book was, though it was well done too. makes me want to reread also.

any idea when more episodes are getting put up? I was hoping they would just throw it all up there for a binge-fest, but no such luck.

Goodnight Golden Path!
Naib

Post by Naib »

I case you haven't seen it yet, I can't recommend Detectorists highly enough. The series finished recently on BBC, but a couple of the series are on Netflix.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Naib wrote:I case you haven't seen it yet, I can't recommend Detectorists highly enough. The series finished recently on BBC, but a couple of the series are on Netflix.
The metal detector guys? That is right up my alley, but I have not watched it yet. Someday.

Goodnight Golden Path!
Naib

Post by Naib »

Omphalos wrote:
Naib wrote:I case you haven't seen it yet, I can't recommend Detectorists highly enough. The series finished recently on BBC, but a couple of the series are on Netflix.
The metal detector guys? That is right up my alley, but I have not watched it yet. Someday.
You won't be disappointed.
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

A four part mini-series has been made of China Miéville's "the city and the city", which is one of my all time favourite books. The series is broadvasted by BBC 2 on Fridays. Later today I will watch the first episode. Much hype!

and wrote a Dune Novel."
Naib

Post by Naib »

All four episodes are available to watch right now online.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p061bd ... des/player
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Naib wrote:All four episodes are available to watch right now online.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p061bd ... des/player
(officially)That stream can only be watched from the UK. I do have other means to get it though, so thanks for the heads-up.

and wrote a Dune Novel."
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

I heard about that and I'm excited as well. I'll see if I can easily get to watch it later. For now, I only have internet at work. :sad-bored:

Let's hope it's not a fail.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

As we emerge from the moist depths of Sacramento's rainy season, I again put my remote control down and go into the sunlight. More sun = more time outside, but I have watched a bunch of shit this winter. Right now I am in the middle of season 1 of Person of Interest. It's formulaic and lazily-written at times, and the tech is rarely explained, but I dig it. The characters are great, and for the first time, EVER, I actually like Jim Cavaizel. His boring-ass personality actually fits his character well in this one. I will admit I was expecting a bit more from Jonathan Nolan, but its enough to keep me in my seat before bed some nights.

My daughter insisted I binge watch with her all of Law & Order: SVU. We are on season 6 (of like, 28 or something?), which is when it was good. Not sure I could last to the end of this one w/o the warmth of this shared experience.

I caught up with The Expanse too. I really dig that one. My early SF experiences circled around Niven's Known Space stories, and this show absolutely takes me back.

I am also saving The Walking Dead until next Sunday, when it ends and I can binge.

One other broadcast TV show I actually go into was The Colony. It's a little Lost-like, which makes sense given that its made by some of their producers and actors. I watched it several months ago and forgot to comment here.

Goodnight Golden Path!
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I like The Expanse too.

I've been watching The Terror, since I read the book. Not nearly as good so far.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Freakzilla wrote:The Man in the High Tower

I now suspect everyone is a Nazi.
Found this after paging through this thread randomly.

Truer words, and whatnot.

Goodnight Golden Path!
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

Long long time since I popped in. TV is sort of a slippery critter to get your head around these days. We cut the cord over 2 years and haven't looked back since. Anyway, there's a lot of content out there that is so much better than anything the networks are offering, it's hard to get dialed in sometimes. That said, mark me down as an "Aye!" for The Expanse. It's nice to find something that hasn't been completely watered down. It's okay, TV creator people, we can handle complex and messy! I've also been watching The Crown and Peaky Blinders on Netflix. Love me some costume drama shit. I've seen the first season of Stranger Things, but not the second. Like it. Would LOVE to watch Handmaid's Tale, but don't have Hulu. Might have to pick it up for just that. There was also another Elizabeth Moss show called Top of the Lake, where she plays a New Zealand cop/detective that was really good, don't know what happened to it.

So...Lost in Space? Anyone? I'm like 3 eps in and still haven't decided. I mean, it's good, but not grippingly good. Should I keep going?

I picked up Starz! for the American Gods adaptation. You can't go wrong with Ian McShane, but this show sort of slipped sideways a little. I may watch the second season.

Aaaand that's about it for TV. Oh, yeah, Game of Thrones, duh. But seeing as the show is aligning with GRRM's writing pace, I'll proceed as if it's not coming back. Until it does.
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
Naib

Post by Naib »

Been watching a few old favourites again:

Prime Suspect. Helen Mirren is absolutely captivating in this series. And to be honest she hasn't changed all that much.
Rumpole of the Bailey. I love this show. Leo McKern is brilliant as Rumpole as is the writing.
All Creatures Great and Small. I nearly became a vet because of this programme. James Herriot (Alf Wight) portrays rural Yorkshire brilliantly and the cast is wonderful.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Spicelon wrote:Long long time since I popped in.
Welcome back!
Spicelon wrote:So...Lost in Space? Anyone? I'm like 3 eps in and still haven't decided. I mean, it's good, but not grippingly good. Should I keep going?
I just finished the first season. I'm not crazy about the character changes they've made to West and Dr. Smith, nor Smith's casting choice. I think some of the science was questionable. But overall I think it was enjoyable and well produced.
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I watched all of Lost in Space. It was pretty good. Parker Posey is so good at playing villains that are completely fucked in the head.

Goodnight Golden Path!
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Spicelon wrote:There was also another Elizabeth Moss show called Top of the Lake, where she plays a New Zealand cop/detective that was really good, don't know what happened to it.
Was that one of those The-Dead-Have-Come-Back-And-That-Creates-Emotional-Ambiguity-type of shows? There seem to be several of those out there now. I prefer it when they just try to eat your brains.

Goodnight Golden Path!
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

I watched through Fawlty Towers recently. My god that's some good writing. I'd seen episodes before, but not all of them.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

SadisticCynic wrote:I watched through Fawlty Towers recently. My god that's some good writing. I'd seen episodes before, but not all of them.
Huge fan here of Fawlty Towers. Have seen all episodes numerous times. "I know nothing"

and wrote a Dune Novel."