UK census April 27

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Pitchstone

UK census April 27

Post by Pitchstone »

This is only really relevant to residents in the United Kingdom but we have a census looming and I just found something out today that made me think.

There is a big push for people to state their nationality as "Cornish" in the census. There are many reasons for this which I won’t go into but it made me think about the previous census and my own replies at that time.

I recall that during the last census a campaign ran urging returners to list “Jedi” as thier religion and it gathered a lot of momentum. Partly this was as a backlash to being asked the question in the first place (in the UK it is an offence not to complete a census form in full or to deface it) but it also ran as a kind of "viral" joke (a long time before the viral internet phenomenon). Now lets be honest, as an atheist replying “Jedi” seemed the perfect snub, a decent mix of humour and biting my thumb at the authorities.

What I missed at the time and until now was that in doing so I and thousands upon thousands of others may have actually changed things that affect us directly since for one thing the results of the census dictate how government funding money is allocated. I won’t go into it but you can trawl around the t’internet from here>>REDACTED BY Omphalos

It’s a shame as this time I was going to fill in my form with lots of Dune references, I may try to sneak a few in “cryptically” but we shall see…….
Sev

Re: UK census April 27

Post by Sev »

Mine arrived yesterday morning, ripped it open, saw it was 32 pages, threw it away in disgust...
Freakzilla - "Apparently we can only aspire to be the 13th biggest Dune fan since we are not family or in the HLP."

Byron - "Are you trying to irk me?"
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Elaborate spam or just a fucking weird first post? :shock:
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Smells like spam to me, what with the unrelated URL and all. Definitely not a bot though. I think I'm going to delete that URL, then we'll see if this person is here to discuss Dune or spread the word about something else.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

This should probably go in the conspiracy thread.

Ya see - The UK government has paid £150M to Lockheed Martin (the famously corrupt weapons manufacturer) to conduct the census this year. As an American company, LM is required by the Partiot Act to share any information it holds with the US intelligence services, who can the distribute it as they see fit.

Canada also used LM for their census... The NWO is here.

(If you believe everything people post on Facebook)

(... itself an admitted CIA front)

(... probably)

:o
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Heeeeeeey! Maybe the era of Manifest Destiny truly is not over yet!

Airstrip One, here we come!

Goodnight Golden Path!
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

Sev wrote:Mine arrived yesterday morning, ripped it open, saw it was 32 pages, threw it away in disgust...

Are you serious?! Ours was like one large sheet folded into four pages. It took maybe 10 to 15 mins to complete the whole thing and that was only because of trying to decide how to answer the race question.
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I always write my ethnicity as caucasian, but my place of ethnic origin as Africa... hey, they're the ones that asked!
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I used to work in a free legal clinic during my last two years of law school. We used to have all kinds of people come in who filled in "Original" in their ethnicity/race (we tracked for that because we were run with state funds). It was never the whites, and rarely the African Americans; usually it was those of mixed origin. Still have not figured out what that means, but we apparently have a lot of Originals in Sacramento.

Goodnight Golden Path!
A Thing of Eternity

I just figure if they want to ask where my ethnicity traces back to in the last couple hundred years, why not a couple thousand? Tens of thousands? Hundreds of thousands?

I'm Ethiopian.

(I never got shit about it either, so I'm going to keep doing it. I think we can pretty much write in whatever we want... well, until someone tells me otherwise!...

... who am I kidding, that'll just make me want to do it even more to make my point!)
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

For race I usually put "human".
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

Best question was "How well do you speak English" with "Not at all" as an option.
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Freakzilla wrote:For race I usually put "human".
Sex?

"Often."

Another classic ...
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Sev

Post by Sev »

Now that I've actually looked at it, it's only 32 pages if you have 6 people in the house - I get away with only the first 10 pages.
Best question is:
17 - This question is intentionally left blank -->go to 18

:? :crazy:
Freakzilla - "Apparently we can only aspire to be the 13th biggest Dune fan since we are not family or in the HLP."

Byron - "Are you trying to irk me?"
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Sev wrote:Now that I've actually looked at it, it's only 32 pages if you have 6 people in the house - I get away with only the first 10 pages.
Best question is:

Tests your willingness to follow pointless government direction. :)
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

SadisticCynic wrote:
Sev wrote:Now that I've actually looked at it, it's only 32 pages if you have 6 people in the house - I get away with only the first 10 pages.
Best question is:

Tests your willingness to follow pointless government direction. :)
If you hold it up to the light you can see they've watermarked the actual question into the paper.

Answer it correctly and you have a job-for-life at MI5... answer it wrongly and you become the victim of a tragic "accident" :shock:
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

I got my copy today - it says March 27th, not April.

They seem to have found ways to dodge classic answers, e.g. they ask 'What is your sex?' instead of 'Sex?' thus avoiding 'Yes please!'. Also they ask 'How would you describe your national identity?' which sort of dodges the answer Human, although you can select Other and enter what you want.

(Damnit Sev, I thought you were telling the truth! I'm a little disappointed now. :P )
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
A Thing of Eternity

I just try as hard to fuck with it as I can while staying within the law.