Smellhole Notes.

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Kojiro

Re: Smellhole Notes.

Post by Kojiro »

Ampoliros wrote:Claudia Black? What does she have to do with KJA?
She was playing the character in question in said Pitch Black scene.
Has not religion claimed a patent on creation for all of these millennia?
-The Tleilaxu Question,
from Muad'dib Speaks
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Yeah yeah yeah! You're right. That had slipped my mind.

If she'd just stayed down... :doh:

That's a fantastic movie. Loves it much. Watches it every time it's on. :dance:

(Dammit, Amp, beautiful 'Bian friends?! :lol: )
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

Ampoliros wrote: "The seismic upheaval knocked some of the lava boulders that had been piled up in incomprehensible defensive formations."
-what? no, seriously, WHAT?
Can't they find someone to proofread their shit who knows what big words mean? That's ridiculous.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

SandChigger wrote:Has someone mentioned the famous palindrome Able was I ere I saw Elba yet? ;)
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

:lol:

Nice. Thanks!
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

That was hilarious and amazing.

(I must admit it wasn't until I got halfway through the song that I realized they were all palindromes. I had to rewind and pause more than once :) )

It's not a palindrome! The palindrome of Bolton would be Notlob!

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

A "review" of the audiobook version:
http://www.sfcrowsnest.com/articles/boo ... -16112.php

Rob
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

They have indeed produced a very exciting book! It has an electric story, involved with human passion full of conflict and emotion.
If by exciting, you mean they end sentences with exclamation points because the text itself leaves nothing to suggest excitement! Electric story, if by electric you mean the static storms that do plenty of damage to the set and nothing to the substance, plot, characters, or other parts of the set left out in the middle of the storm! Human passion? Conflict? Emotion? Well, I guess since this is a review of an AUDIOBOOK read by a professional actor, his portayal might have added something that wasn't in the text. Did you consider that? Barely.
Now to the book itself. It's basically a story of class struggle between the rich and the less well off.
If by less well off you mean Minor Nobles. Do you mean the poor? Name one poor character. I can think of three. Now name one poor character that survives the first book. I can think of one, and she's not exactly poor at the end of the book. Tiber is a minor noble. Sophie is a very well off businesswoman. Christophe is a fallen noble that falls right into managing one of the most important excavations in the galaxy. Antonia is the only one who might qualify...but oh yes, she's also from a well-off family. There is not one single character from the book that actually comes from the lower class. On a planet that is meant to show rustic struggles of human expansion into the unfriendly galaxy the characters feast on wine & steaks.
The leader of this group of planets is a mean and nasty old woman called Diadem Michella Duchenet. Holding onto power with an insidious grip, she may appear to some as a nice old lady but the truth is somewhat different. She is ruthless and manipulative.
Funny, that's almost exactly how she's described in the book. Did I say described? I mean told. We're also told she's spry for her age, enough that she not only still plays sonic-polo, she's still of a competitive quality at it.

The irony of this book is that KJA has created a universe more unbelievable than the 'advances' or 'exotics' that it shows. What does it show of a science fiction author who creates a method of space travel that we can prove impossible and illogical with today's scientific knowledge?
Sev

Post by Sev »

After reading the very first sentence of that, so-called, review...
Rod McDud wrote:One has only to think of the ‘Dune’ books and the names of the authors Brian Herbert and Kevin J Anderson immediately come to mind.
...I came to the conclusion that 'Rod the Review' was a total fucking idiot - so closed the tab and read something else instead.
Freakzilla - "Apparently we can only aspire to be the 13th biggest Dune fan since we are not family or in the HLP."

Byron - "Are you trying to irk me?"
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

man, I hate myself for doing this ... but .... WTF is "sonic-polo" ?
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Well it's created by KJA, and played by evil old women who are really actually quite spry, played on half-giraffe, half-horse creatures called thorses. You see, its the extra t a the beginning which makes it especially sciency-fictiony. They run ultrafast, even on the small court.
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Ampoliros wrote:... played on half-giraffe, half-horse creatures called thorses.
You *must* have made that up.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

This landscape reminded him of Caladan's lush gardens and made him wonder what
had become of the verdant planet where the Atreides had lived for so many
generations before coming to Dune. He could identify narrow roads, market roads
with a scattered traffic of vehicles drawn by six-legged animals which he
guessed were thorses. Moneo had said that thorses tailored to the needs of such
a landscape were the main work beasts not only here but throughout the Empire.

~GEoD
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

:oops:

Sometimes I should just step away from the keyboard.

HBJ
- Carl Sagan

- Iain Banks
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

The giraffe part is made up.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

:oops:

I'm sorry my friends, but I did text pictures of my massive manhood to a woman who isn't my wif...er

wait, wrong board for that admission

I'm sorry my friends, Thorses were from GEoD. HORPS were what I was looking for.

They don't have six legs. They are ultra-fast They:
Please give me a Hugo wrote:looked like a cross between a horse and a giraffe...horps could manage tremendous speeds even across the short distances of the sonic-ballfield.
can't you just see them thundering across the screen in glorious CGI?
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

okay .... WTF is a "sonic-ballfield" ?
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Please give me a Hugo wrote:looked like a cross between a horse and a giraffe...horps could manage tremendous speeds even across the short distances of the sonic-ballfield.
Holy Maker, that's shitty shit. :roll:

Um... given the morphological similarities between horses and giraffes to begin with... what the fuck exactly is that supposed to mean? I mean... huh?

And, um... why is "managing" tremendous speeds across short distances seen as something special? It's impressive in acceleration terms, I guess? Otherwise, achieving and maintaining ultra speeds across long distances would impress me more. :snooty:
Ampoliros wrote:can't you just see them thundering across the screen in glorious CGI?
No.

But you know he did. ;)

(Wanna bet they're based on the horses in Avatar? ;) )
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SandChigger wrote:(Wanna bet they're based on the horses in Avatar? ;) )
I immediately thought of GEoD when I saw those.
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I think I was deliberately trying NOT to think of Dune as I watched it. ;)

But good point. I don't recall anyone bringing up the thorses back during all the [I'm thinking of a word that I say as "hickack" but I'm pretty sure it's not standard English. Anyone?] comparing Avatar and Dune.

Does that mean that most people really haven't read as far as GEoD?! :(

Edit: That reminds me: what ever happened to Harry Buttcrack and his Raging Hardon for Lynch & his movie? :?
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SandChigger wrote:But good point. I don't recall anyone bringing up the thorses back during all the [I'm thinking of a word that I say as "hickack" but I'm pretty sure it's not standard English. Anyone?] comparing Avatar and Dune.
I did: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1993&p=73889&hilit=thorses#p73889" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Does that mean that most people really haven't read as far as GEoD?! :(
I don't think so, it's a vague, one line reference.
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Freakzilla wrote:
SandChigger wrote:But good point. I don't recall anyone bringing up the thorses back during all the [I'm thinking of a word that I say as "hickack" but I'm pretty sure it's not standard English. Anyone?] comparing Avatar and Dune.
I did: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1993&p=73889&hilit=thorses#p73889" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yes, but in this case you don't count. :P
I don't think so, it's a vague, one line reference.
Good point! :clap: :dance:
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I would guess though, that the further you go into the series fewer have read those than the early ones.

Like Brian Herbert and KJA. :wink:
~Pink Snowman
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

I have such a bizarre ordering to my mind, I wasn't even thinking of GEoD when I wrote that, yet thorses popped up. Perhaps it had been filed under "The Hack stole this from Dune" but got lost in the in box.