For those of you in Atlanta...

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

For those of you in Atlanta...

Post by Omphalos »

I think there are a few of you here. My cousin owns a restaurant there that sounds pretty good. Jahan, the owner, is half Persian, and runs a Mexican/Persian fusion restaurant. People seem to love it. I personally cannot wait to go myself, but being in CA makes that kind of tough.

Here's a coupon that he's running lately:

http://www.webates.com/sheik-burritos-n-kabobs/97" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Take some pics if you go. I miss my cousin a lot.

Omph

Sheik Burritos n Kabobs; http://www.sheikburritos.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1877 Piedmont Avenue NE
Atlanta, GA 30324
404-815-0227

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
A Thing of Eternity

Re: For those of you in Atlanta...

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I don't think I've had Persian food... I'll bet it melds with Mexican mighty fine though!
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

It's awesome stuff. I grew up eating it a lot. There don't seem to be too many places for it here in the west though. When my cousins came out here to Sacramento they were dying to eat a restaurant in Sacramento that they had seen advertisements for on the Persian Channel back in Washington DC. Kind of odd that they would advertise a local Sac business all over the country, but others tell me that there are few cities that have real Persian food restaurants in them, and that ad draws a lot of Persian people to Sacramento.

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

(Do they intentionally use "Persian" to distance themselves from the negative connotations of "Iranian"?)
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

Omphalos wrote:I think there are a few of you here. My cousin owns a restaurant there that sounds pretty good. Jahan, the owner, is half Persian, and runs a Mexican/Persian fusion restaurant. People seem to love it. I personally cannot wait to go myself, but being in CA makes that kind of tough.
Did you hear the one about the Chineese/German restaurant? A half hour after eating there, you feel like taking over the world...
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:(Do they intentionally use "Persian" to distance themselves from the negative connotations of "Iranian"?)
Absolutely. All of my Persian family and friends do that, and have for decades.

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Cool enough. :)
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:Cool enough. :)
I may have jumped the gun on that. They do it for that reason, but the more important reason is to distance themselves culturally from the folks that run the place now. That regieme has few Persian cultural attribites to it. As in, that is a Moslem culture, not a Persian one.

Goodnight Golden Path!
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Next time I go through town I'll check it out. Sounds interesting.
No longer will the kind people of the south struggle to find a decent meal at an indecent hour! No longer will fast-food be synonymous with unhealthy dog-food! No longer will gourmet food take hours of your time, max out your credit card, or require you to wear a shirt and tie!

Our mission is to consistently guarantee affordable, tasty, healthy, quality food in quantity at every meal. We will do this using fresh, local, organic products cooked in a slow-food method and sold in a uniquely upbeat fast-food manner. EAT… says The Chic Sheik!!!
:D
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

DOG STYLE: $7-$10
Your entrée efficiently served in a BURRITO BOWL
NICE! :lol:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Apjak

Post by Apjak »

I dated a girl whose folks were from Iran. That had to have been over 10 years ago. They called themselves Persian. I just liked hearing her speak in Farsi with her grandmother. Because she was US born and raised, her English had no accent.
I don't think the author should make the reader do that much work - Kevin J. Anderson
We think we've updated 'Dune' for a modern readership without dumbing it down.- Brian Herbert
There’s an unwritten compact between you and the reader. If someone enters a bookstore and sets down hard earned money(energy) for your book, you owe that person some entertainment and as much more as you can give. - Frank Herbert
lotek

Post by lotek »

Omphalos wrote:
SandChigger wrote:(Do they intentionally use "Persian" to distance themselves from the negative connotations of "Iranian"?)
Absolutely. All of my Persian family and friends do that, and have for decades.
my uncle is from Iran but I dunno what he calls himself(his mum knew the time of the Shah, when you could buy opium from the chemist btw)

My cousin calls himself of Persian descent but I call him an Arab to piss him off.
Spice is the worm's gonads.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

there's an Iranian guy in town I'm decent friends with, he was in Austin at the UT in 79, took advantage of the situation and told
the State Department he was an anti-Islamist & such and they gave him a US passport ... he's been here long enough now, and is enough
of a character to've developed a fantastic Tommy Lee Jones West Texas drawl ... he calls himself "persian" because I ain't no
goddamn Ay-rab, you shitheel squarehead ...

he also does several dead-on mexican accents from landed gentry Ah no, senor, you may not bed my daughter. However, there are
many goats in the barn of which you may have your choice.
to pissed-off cholo Hey esse, you got beef, esse ?

his "natural" speaking voice has quite a WT drawl ... I'll bet he thinks Persian-Mexican food's a great idea ... probably just some
of the stuff he cooks at home ...
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008