Non-entity Anderson

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Sev

Non-entity Anderson

Post by Sev »

Just been looking at an article on "Writers of the Future" in which Keith described it as 'an American Idol for writers' :crazy: Yeah, whatever, Keith.

Anyway, a portion of the article made me laugh:

Well-known contest judges include multiple Nebula and Hugo Award winners and finalists such as Kevin J. Anderson, Orson Scott Card, Anne McCaffrey, Larry Niven, Jerry Pournelle, Tim Powers, Robert Sawyer, Robert Silverberg, K.D. Wentworth .

I wondered why they had to add the '...and finalists' bit in there, before I realised...Keith hasn't won ANYTHING.

So, after a totting up of wins and nominations of Hugo's and Nebula's, we get:

Robert Silverberg - 9 wins, 50 nominations
Larry Niven - 6 wins, 27 nominations
Orson Scott Card - 6 wins, 25 nominations
Robert Sawyer - 2 wins, 15 nominations
Anne McCaffrey - 2 wins, 10 nominations
Jerry Pournelle - 10 nominations
K.D.Wentworth (who?) - 4 nominations
Tim Powers - 3 nominations

and lastly
Kevin J. Anderson - 1 nomination :lol:

Tim Powers is only so far down as most of his work is classified as Fantasy (he's won 2 World Fantasy Awards for starters).

Kevin recently described himself, rather laughably, as 'one of the most popular authors writing SF today" - but as the above shows all too clearly he's nothing more than a cheap hack - and as far as being among the pantheon of great SF writers is concerned, he's absolutely nowhere, a total non-entity.
Freakzilla - "Apparently we can only aspire to be the 13th biggest Dune fan since we are not family or in the HLP."

Byron - "Are you trying to irk me?"
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: Non-entity Anderson

Post by Freakzilla »

As we've said before, being popular doesn't mean you're GOOD.

Thus, McDune.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

TheHack said he is a big name in SF .... Kevin James Anderson is a big name ... regarding the number of letters that is, compare it to Plato and you see the difference immediatley. :shock:
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

For a big name he isn't that well known, i've asked around with little result.
Asimov, Adams, Gibson, and Anderson. People who knew some or all of the first three didn't know the fourth, except for one fellow who, I think, confused Poul with kevin.
I expect a preeq could argue about fairness and sample size, not that I care, my ten or so have satisfied my curiosity.
Give it a try, ask a few waiters or bartenders or students or random people at the book store.
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Right, it will depend on the sample size and group.

Keith will score reasonably well with the Star Wars crowd of a certain age group (remember, he hasn't been invited to work in Lucas' playground since the late '90s), with the preek crowd (of course), and with SF completists (those horrible people who will buy anything bearing a certain logo).

But that's about it. The casual fan — the guy who can remember Asimov and Heinlein and maybe a couple of others — will not have heard of him at all. The fan who keeps up with the genre but has a bit of taste might know him as "that guy who will put his name on anything." The discerning fan will either have not heard of him at all or will laugh out loud when he is mentioned.

Keith's desperate attempts at validation and acceptance only serve to make him a bigger laughingstock.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

That's pretty much my point.
I chose those authors for age and genre, thinking a big name would be well known even if someone hadn't read his work. For example, i'm not interested in the opinion of someone who hasn't heard of Asimov- it's like how everyone knows Einstien but not everyone knows Feynman. If someone knows Feynman, they might know Alan Guth. The majority of people knew one or two authors, the one that said yes to KJA really seemed to be confusing him with Poul Anderson.
I know i'll never win an argument with a preeq based on this crap, but for my own reasons (maybe kja is well known and i'm mistaken) I asked around and found what I expected; in the well known catagory, kja has a falsely inflated self image. We can talk about where to set the bar for famous all you want, kevin doesn't rate in the same level as well known authors.

Odd thing, a couple of guys mentioned Chris Paolini- without asking! In your face kieth! :lol: A kid with one trilogy whose success is based on a tour of school appearences has more street cred than the master of others sandboxes!
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
lotek

Post by lotek »

being popular to idiots is easy ;
the hack chose easy and now he wants the recognition people like Frank got... for their hard work, dedication and respect for their readers !!!!!

Spice is the worm's gonads.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Sev wrote:Kevin recently described himself, rather laughably, as 'one of the most popular authors writing SF today" - but as the above shows all too clearly he's nothing more than a cheap hack - and as far as being among the pantheon of great SF writers is concerned, he's absolutely nowhere, a total non-entity.
And that's why it's so VITAL that his pals in the circle-jerk club (Suckers, Fuckers, Wankers, and Assholes) gift him a Nebula ASAP. He'll finally be free of the stigma of being THE MAN WITH ONLY NOMINATIONS AND FAN AWARDS.

:laughing-rolling:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

SandChigger wrote:
Sev wrote:Kevin recently described himself, rather laughably, as 'one of the most popular authors writing SF today" - but as the above shows all too clearly he's nothing more than a cheap hack - and as far as being among the pantheon of great SF writers is concerned, he's absolutely nowhere, a total non-entity.
And that's why it's so VITAL that his pals in the circle-jerk club (Suckers, Fuckers, Wankers, and Assholes) gift him a Nebula ASAP. He'll finally be free of the stigma of being THE MAN WITH ONLY NOMINATIONS AND FAN AWARDS.

:laughing-rolling:
One thing he could do if he really wants fans and to win an award would be to write a really good book instead of the shit he insists on publishing now. If he wants more advice, he knows where to find me.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Nekhrun wrote:One thing he could do if he really wants fans and to win an award would be to write a really good book ...
You radical!
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

TheDukester wrote:
Nekhrun wrote:One thing he could do if he really wants fans and to win an award would be to write a really good book ...
You radical!
I'm planning a seminar for the Fall.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Kojiro

Post by Kojiro »

D Pope wrote: Odd thing, a couple of guys mentioned Chris Paolini- without asking! In your face kieth! :lol: A kid with one trilogy whose success is based on a tour of school appearences has more street cred than the master of others sandboxes!
Kevin's welcome to master my sandbox; my cats have been filling it up rather rapidly in recent weeks.
Has not religion claimed a patent on creation for all of these millennia?
-The Tleilaxu Question,
from Muad'dib Speaks
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

With all the success and accolades brought about by releasing the 'sisterhood,' i'm beginning to wonder
if the Jihad has won. All the preeq arguments here and at amazon about haters and reading for enjoyment
seem to have left OH-ers standing alone. Not even the KJASF took much interest in defending nu-mcDune.

14evin still has a book or two under contract, is it too early to declare victory? Does preeq memory last long
enough for them to know they've been beaten?

edit; my google search of 'Dune Forum' shows that the official site is still
more popular than "New Dune forum!!! - Syfy Forums" and "Arrakeen."
:lol:
-Omphalos
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

D Pope wrote:...is it too early to declare victory? Does preeq memory last long
enough for them to know they've been beaten?
No to both.

Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

We won when Kevin J Anderson was allowed to write in the Dune universe.

Of course, he was still allowed to write in the universe, but nothing he has written has been worthy of anything but contempt, and it all proves how he should never be allowed to write in a serious universe.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
lotek

Post by lotek »

I reckon he'd manage to fuck up even a stupid universe.
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

http://sf-fantasy.suvudu.com/2011/03/vi ... erson.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Where did the idea for Hellhole come from?
"...(Brian & I)... have written some ten thousand pages in the Dune universe at various times and it was time to take the training wheels off."
2:30-2:45

Brian does seem to be wanting to bring 14evin to heel. Almost funny.
-Omphalos
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Just going from your quote, why did they use Dune as only training? :doh:
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
lotek

Post by lotek »

SadisticCynic wrote:Just going from your quote, why did they use Dune as only training? :doh:

good point.

(yes, it's exactly what it looks like)
lotek

Post by lotek »

Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

maybe we should start calling them Smug & the Raisin.

maybe White Raisin...then Keith would need a modifier:

Ultra-smug & the White Raisin.

(Hmm, does Brian look more like a White Raisin or a Soggy Cracker?
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
lotek

Post by lotek »

he looks like a White Raisin on top of a Soggy Cracker (yes I copypasted this, because I'm lazy... but also I typed this which is way more letters)
imageshack link : http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/7894/torqy.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edit to Add : thank you urban dictionnary for ruining my cracker ^^
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

SadisticCynic wrote:Just going from your quote, why did they use Dune as only training? :doh:
I think it's a fine self-audit of their 'best efforts.'
-Omphalos
Mr. Teg

Post by Mr. Teg »

lotek wrote:he looks like a White Raisin on top of a Soggy Cracker (yes I copypasted this, because I'm lazy... but also I typed this which is way more letters)
Now Jabecca gonna eat him!
CHOAM
Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile, Narf!
Brian, Kevin & Byron :? :cylon101: :roll: The HLP
lotek

Post by lotek »