Post by Tleszer »

:laughing:

Nice explanation, Amp!
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Re: KJA in London Friday 4th Feb 2011

Post by SandChigger »

TheDukester wrote:Let's count the number of happy people in this photo ...
Is that where he was having to sign 500 books in 50 minutes? (And somehow got it done, because, you know, he's always on time?) ;)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Ampoliros wrote:"Critical darlings" is the term Keith uses to describe people who actually craft their writing and win all the awards with their measly one book while his yearly half-dozen are produced on-time and hit the bestseller lists and have probably never even made it onto a short list for a prize of any seriousness.
I know who he uses it to describe, it just seems like a meaningless combination of words. Does he mean that Mieville and the others are critical of him, he is critical of them, or that their works are critically acclaimed while his aren't? That's what I was trying to ask. :)

(Also, I'm sorry if its blindingly obvious and I'm not getting it; that happens sometimes... :oops: )
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I've always assumed he meant that those (better) writers are the darlings of the critics...

:think:

Which when you think about it, doesn't really make a lot of sense, does it? :shock:

:laughing-rolling:
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Critical Darlings = the go-to "favorites" of the literary critics. I'm sure Keith sees it as some kind of popularity contest and that the award committees just don't respect the level of his craft (newsflash! they don't!). It really burns his hide that 'quality' wins all the awards over quantity, especially because he refuses to even deal with the 'quality' issue.

He honestly believes that he is a better writer because he publishes more books 'on-time'.

Sorry Kev, but we'll never hear the words "And the Hugo goes to And Kevin J Anderson!"
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Not unless he really gets down to work.

Who knows, all these years of dictahiking may have given him the lower jaw strength and stamina needed... :think:
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

well after reading (most) of the prologue to Hellhole, I'd only say he's getting worse, faster.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

OK, now I get it. :)

What a wonderful guy.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Ampoliros wrote:It really burns his hide that 'quality' wins all the awards over quantity, especially because he refuses to even deal with the 'quality' issue.

He honestly believes that he is a better writer because he publishes more books 'on-time'.
It's even worse that that. He honestly think that critics *assume* his books are crap because he writes so many of them. As far as he's concerned, he *does* write quality books - just look at how well they sell - but critics won't give him a chance because they're prejudiced against his incredible professionalism, his hard-working can-do attitude, and his refusal to be a writer's-block-ridden prima donna.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

SandChigger wrote:Is that where he was having to sign 500 books in 50 minutes?
Possibly. It looks like an Anderson-esque assembly line, don't it? :lol:

(The thought bubble for the woman in the front: "How did I get mixed up with this pompous hack and his hellish harpy of a wife?")
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

After not a single crowd shot at any previous book signing or SuperDuper Dictahiker's Workshop, we get this:

... at a panel in the UK, with Hamilton, Mieville, and Baxter. Gee, I wonder if Keith was the drawcard?

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

And Jabecca right there in the front where she can bodyblock—with extreme prejudice!—anyone daring to heckle KJA. :lol:
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Ampoliros wrote:well after reading (most) of the prologue to Hellhole, I'd only say he's getting worse, faster.
Remember when he wqs describing 7 Suns as "my masterpiece?" dumb ass just don't get it.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
lotek

Post by lotek »

I guess he knows there are people out there dumb enough to take his word on it.
Spice is the worm's gonads.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

SandChigger wrote:And Jabecca right there in the front where she can bodyblock—with extreme prejudice!—anyone daring to heckle KJA. :lol:
I wonder who her +1 was, someone with the sense to be AWOL. So not a close friend then.
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

inhuien wrote:
SandChigger wrote:And Jabecca right there in the front where she can bodyblock—with extreme prejudice!—anyone daring to heckle KJA. :lol:
I wonder who her +1 was, someone with the sense to be AWOL. So not a close friend then.
She is her own +1.

Oh, snap!
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

:lol: :clap:

Very nice, merkin. Very nice.

HBJ
- Carl Sagan

- Iain Banks