NFL

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

ErasOmnius

Re: Playoffs?! (NFL)

Post by ErasOmnius »

Wow. Didn't expect it to be 45-16. Long game. Oh well, Lions and the Falcons as Wild Cards.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Now we have to play the Saints AGAIN in the first round of the playoffs.

:cry:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Sandwurm88
Not Soleman

Post by Sandwurm88 »

Agreed about the Packers chick.

And the Saints are looking unstoppable at home, I think they'd beat the Pack in a shoot-out there...but the road is a different story.

And Freak, your Falcons didn't seem to take too kindly to Brees passing late in the game to get the yards in a season passin record:

from Sportsline.com-
Respect? The Falcons players didn't see it that way. Nor did much of their staff.

The players I talked to all thought it was classless.

"No need for that," one player said. "It came on our watch, but it didn't have to come that way. We won't forget it."

Payton said he talked to Smith about the decision after the game, and also addressed some of the Falcons players about why he went for the record with the score what it was that late in the game.

The word I got out of the Falcons locker room was the only player he talked to about it was quarterback Matt Ryan.

"He didn't talk to me," Falcons corner Dunta Robinson said.

"I'm with Dunta," safety William Moore said.

A handful of other defensive players said they had no contact with Payton either.

"We weren't trying to run up the score or anything," Brees said,

Maybe not, but the Falcons sure didn't like it.
It's true that Brees does have another game to break the record, so I can definitely see where they're coming from. I think Tom Brady will also break the Marino record next week. Super Bowl is looking like Packers or Saints, unless the Ravens suddenly find a consistent offense, the Patriots find a defense that can stop a nosebleed, or someone in the NFC pulls out a shocker. The Falcons might have a chance after this kind of defeat.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

In Brees and Payton's defense, it was a nationally televised game and an opportunity for everyone to share in the record breaking.

That's OK, hopefully the Falcons will get some payback in two weeks.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Bill Maher on Twitter wrote:#TimTebow bad! And on Xmas Eve! Somewhere ... Satan is tebowing, saying to Hitler "Hey, Buffalo’s killing them,
:snooty:
~Pink Snowman
Sandwurm88
Not Soleman

Post by Sandwurm88 »

The playoffs are set, y'all.

Wild-Card Weekend Match-Ups:

CIN@HOU
DET@NO
ATL@NYG
PIT@DEN

My predictions:

Houston, 42-35
New Orleans, 48-28
New York Giants, 28-24
Pittsburgh, 20-10
Apjak

Post by Apjak »

With Detroit's defense healthy and un-suspended, there is no way that NO is putting up 48 points, even though they'll probably still win.
I don't think the author should make the reader do that much work - Kevin J. Anderson
We think we've updated 'Dune' for a modern readership without dumbing it down.- Brian Herbert
There’s an unwritten compact between you and the reader. If someone enters a bookstore and sets down hard earned money(energy) for your book, you owe that person some entertainment and as much more as you can give. - Frank Herbert
Crysknife

Post by Crysknife »

9ers baby! With that defense they can beat anyone. Low scoring games but they will be in it till the end.
Sandwurm88
Not Soleman

Post by Sandwurm88 »

That New Orleans offense is unstoppable at home, Apjak. Detroit played well, but still, they could've had 52 easily at the end there...hopefully they and the Packers beat each other up so bad in the NFC championship. Or the 49ers could even pull something off, because the Saints away from the Superdome is a whole different team. We'll see if the SF defense is good enough. They haven't faced an explosive offense like what the Saints have so far this season, so this will be an interesting one. Really the only two offenses that could get close to matching NO point-for-point would be Green Bay and maybe New England.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Almost time for the Falcons to get knocked out of the playoffs...
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Atlanta's two-point total was the first such score in NFL playoff history and only the seventh in any game since the AFL-NFL merger.

It was the first time a team's safety was its only score since 1993 when the Cincinnati Bengals lost to the New England Patriots, 7-2.

Only 34 other times in NFL history has a team scored a total of two points in a game. Most of those games took place before 1940. In five of them, the winning team scored two points. The first 2-0 game was between the Akron Pros and Buffalo All-Americans. The final time it happened, in 1938, the teams were slightly better known: The Chicago Bears defeated the Green Bay Packers, 2-0.

The highest-scoring two-point game was in 1972. The San Francisco 49ers defeated the New Orleans Saints, 37-2.

The 1922 Chicago Cardinals scored four points in a loss to the Racine Legion. It was the only such point total in the record books.

Only one two-point score has been duplicated in modern NFL history. In 1972, the Steelers beat the Chargers 24-2. Eight years later, New England beat Buffalo by the same score. The final in Sunday's wild-card game? 24-2.

:oops:
~Pink Snowman
trang

Post by trang »

and then there were eight...

Tebow vs Steelers...what can ya say..unexpected but the Denver defense held big ben on last drive.

Falcons vs giants....disappointed in falcons, wanted to see more from them.

NO vs Lions... Lions had many opportunities and just didn't take advantage.. NO adjusted and rolled in second half.

Texans vs Bengals... T. Dalton was not playing well, texans defense was pretty good.

Divisional playoffs...

NO At 49ers....gonna be dam good game, but see NO coming out on top, even with road win statistics against them 28-14.

Giants At Packers...I think with the bye, rest, and home field, packers will smoke giants 38-14

Denver at Patriots.... Same result as week 15, Pats 43... Denver... 21

Texans at Ravens.....Ravens are hard to predict, but will go with prevailing wisdom.. Ravens 21..Texans 10.

Conference champions ships

Ravens at Patriots... Patriots smoke Ravens.. 36-16
NO at Packers.... Just a bloody shoot out.. Packers 42-NO 38

Super Bowl....

Patriots VS Packers...... another shootout... Patriots take it 44-41

If God intervens on tebows behalf...

Superbowl...
Denver vs 49ers Denver 21.. 49ers 16

I could be wrong, more than likely Considerably wrong, but fun to predict.
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

ErasOmnius

Post by ErasOmnius »

Good-bye Lions. Good-bye Falcons.

Maybe next year.
Apjak

Post by Apjak »

Apjak wrote:With Detroit's defense healthy and un-suspended, there is no way that NO is putting up 48 points, even though they'll probably still win.
I don't prognosticate often, I'll just say that technically I was accurate, but the spirit of my prediction was so wrong.
I don't think the author should make the reader do that much work - Kevin J. Anderson
We think we've updated 'Dune' for a modern readership without dumbing it down.- Brian Herbert
There’s an unwritten compact between you and the reader. If someone enters a bookstore and sets down hard earned money(energy) for your book, you owe that person some entertainment and as much more as you can give. - Frank Herbert
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I'm not too upset over the Falcons loss, even if they'd managed to beat the Giants the wouldn't get past Green Bay.

I think they have all the tools now, though.

"Maybe next year" is right.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Tebow had 316 yards passing and averaged 31.6 yards per pass in Sunday's game.

~Pink Snowman
ErasOmnius

Post by ErasOmnius »

Freakzilla wrote:Tebow had 316 yards passing and averaged 31.6 yards per pass in Sunday's game.

That is a bit too much even for ME.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

ErasOmnius wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:Tebow had 316 yards passing and averaged 31.6 yards per pass in Sunday's game.

That is a bit too much even for ME.
Too much of a COINCIDENCE? :P
~Pink Snowman
Crysknife

Post by Crysknife »

If God wins out Denver vs. 49ers? Well seeing that Urban Meyer IS god, that could very well happen.....2 Meyer QBs going at it!
Sandwurm88
Not Soleman

Post by Sandwurm88 »

In continuing what Freakzilla got started on...

Besides throwing for 316 yards, and 31.6 yards a pass...

The rating for the Steelers-Broncos game was, you guessed it, 31.6. and of course, Ben Roethlisberger threw the game's only interception, a pivotal play for the Broncos in shifting the momentum of the game on...third down with sixteen yards to go. 3rd and 16. And the first names of four of the field officials included Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. The winning reception was from Tebow to a guy born on December 25th.

Kinda cool, I guess. The Pats will smash them Saturday so Denver fans should enjoy this while they got it. Congrats Denver fans, but Big Ben was injured pretty badly, and Pittsburgh was missing their leading tackler. And two of their three starting defensive linemen.
Crysknife

Post by Crysknife »

Sandwurm88 wrote:In continuing what Freakzilla got started on...

Besides throwing for 316 yards, and 31.6 yards a pass...

The rating for the Steelers-Broncos game was, you guessed it, 31.6. and of course, Ben Roethlisberger threw the game's only interception, a pivotal play for the Broncos in shifting the momentum of the game on...third down with sixteen yards to go. 3rd and 16. And the first names of four of the field officials included Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. The winning reception was from Tebow to a guy born on December 25th.

Kinda cool, I guess. The Pats will smash them Saturday so Denver fans should enjoy this while they got it. Congrats Denver fans, but Big Ben was injured pretty badly, and Pittsburgh was missing their leading tackler. And two of their three starting defensive linemen.
Maybe he is the second coming of Jesus! Had to Facebook that.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SF/NO should be a good game.

Denver is going to get beat like a step-child by NE.
~Pink Snowman
Sandwurm88
Not Soleman

Post by Sandwurm88 »

^^^Agreed on both accounts. NO will probably win their game...I'd guarantee it if they were in the Dome. SF has a strong defense and a convincing record, but they don't have it in them to compete with the Saints offense, I don't think. They keep it close early, but pretty soon the game will become field goals vs. touchdowns and the Saints will get it done.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Who dat?

:lol:

What a game!
~Pink Snowman