"Mystery" missile launch seen off LA coast

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Shaitan

Re: "Mystery" missile launch seen off LA coast

Post by Shaitan »

Yeah, Janes is definitely the authority on this stuff. I was thinking solid propellant too because of the "billowing" but didn't want to over-reach in terms of trying to guess every detail.

What I don't get, is that if we're right and this is a Chinese or NK sub-launched ballistic missile (SLBM), why the fuck pull this stunt? What does it really gain them? If they have the capability to sneak to within 35 miles of LA and fire off an SLBM salvo, why show their cards except for an actual attack? If they're going to do something so public, why not then announce that they've done so?

If they wanted this to be an example to the government but not necessarily announced to the public, there are any number of other ways they could have done it.

Honestly, I just can't come up with an explanation for this whole thing that makes any sense to me at all. I also can't quite get the evidence we have (which is bizarrely cut short; I'd like to see the whole ten-minute raw video, if there is one) to jibe with the explanation we've been handed that it's just a plane seen from an odd angle or some shit.

It's a real brain-twister. Like a Purple Nurple for the mind.
"When the going gets weird, the Weird turn Pro." -Hunter S. Thompson
"Man, a guy gets drunk *once* and it's all anyone remembers..." -HBJ
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

say dude, you right up there in the post above me ... look, I know I ramble on alot and post alot of "tl;dr" shit,
but once in a while, you oughta try reading it ... all of you ... I've been around awhile, I've seen some shit ....
and about 95% of the time, I know EXACTLY what the fuck I'm talking about .....

I gave my little history lesson on why the public thinks what it does about "UFOs" - this ain't my opinion,
it's exactly what fucking happened .... I wrote that to EXTRAPOLATE the point -
I, The SandRider, wrote: what this incident was, and there no other rational, plausible explanation for it,
was an accidental launch of a missile from either a US Navy submarine or other warship;
I, The SandRider, also wrote: so the Company Line shifted to "there are no UFOs and those who believe in them or think they have
seen one are mentally unstable"; the press at the time was instructed to follow this line - and still do to
this day ...

#4) the American military and Federal Government have had 60 years now of experience with using the "UFO denial" technique, so much
so that it's employed on a hundred different levels every day; they are very good at it - the blanket denial it was a American missile, or
a missile at all, the pro-offering of an implausible solution (an airplane) and the dismissal of critics of that solution, and the quiet tacit
approval of the China-Sub rumor, are all hallmarks of the propaganda technique ....
Then, in today's hometown newspaper, my little shitheel editors wrote: OUR OPINION: Best explanation least entertaining

The principle of Occam’s razor says that the simplest explanation of a phenomenon is most likely the correct one, and it is arrived at by shaving away extraneous assumptions. The more variables — as in the proposition of visitors from outer space — the more unlikely.

We saw that at work last week when a California news crew saw and took video of what appeared to be the exhaust trail of a missile launched in the vicinity of Los Angeles. And the video was indeed spectacular.

Pentagon officials were deluged with inquiries; after all, they’re supposed to be on top of this sort of thing.

The Navy and Air Force said they hadn’t launched a missile, and the North American Aerospace Defense Command said neither had any other country.

That led to some splendid speculation. For example, California conspiracist Colleen Thomas said the missile was an ICBM aimed at Iran launched from Los Angeles harbor, but that it had never arrived because it was intercepted by the Pleidians, who are in league with the reptilians among us, who, in addition to killing and eating us, are responsible for communism and Nazism. It gets complicated, but Thomas has videos all over the Internet to explain it to you.

Regrettably, simpler explanations prevailed.

“There is no evidence to suggest that this is anything else other than a condensation trail from an aircraft,” said a Pentagon spokesman, Col. Dave Lapan.

The contrail was dramatically lit by a setting sun, and because it was an unusually clear day it gave the optical illusion of rising. And whatever caused the contrail, likely a civilian airliner, was moving dramatically slower than a rocket.

But many were reluctant to settle for a simple and obvious explanation. In exasperation, John Pike of GlobalSecurity.org told The Washington Post, “This thing is so obviously an airplane contrail, and yet apparently all the king’s horses and all the king’s men can’t find someone to stand up and say it.”

That’s the trouble with Occam’s razor. It takes the romance and mystery out of interesting patterns of high-altitude water vapor.

in 1974 I got arrested and my head busted in for carry a sign that said Tonkin Gulf "Incident" Was A Lie

guess who knew what the fuck he was talking about way back then, too ?
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

So where did the "missile" come down?

AFAIK those things aren't powerful enough to achieve a stable orbit, and "what goes up...."

So where is it?
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

SandChigger wrote:So where did the "missile" come down?

AFAIK those things aren't powerful enough to achieve a stable orbit, and "what goes up...."

So where is it?
Burned up in re-entry probably.

I'm with Sandrider on this. If it's a missle it's a US missile, and was a fuckup.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:So where did the "missile" come down?

So where is it?
Splashdown. The Navy has it.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

SandChigger wrote:
Kojiro wrote:I've seen plenty of Chinese eat those.
OH MY GAWD! NOT OUR ALIEN MOON SQUID FRIENDS?! :angry-screaming:

Yeah, well, considering that the Chinese eat literally EVERYTHING, that is again not saying much. ;)
Moon squid tastes like chicken.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

SandRider wrote:Image
Clearly faked. The Haunebu II is much smaller than that, and never *landed*; the anti-grav kept it aloft at all times.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

merkin muffley wrote:Moon squid tastes like chicken.
I wondered if you'd weigh in on this one, once you got back from DELIVERANCE-Lande. :P

Of course, everything tastes like chicken.

Just not the same kind of chicken.

Or particularly healthy chicken. :D
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/featur ... trail.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.
Shaitan

Post by Shaitan »

Was checking this out....note that this contrail does comport fairly well with flight 808 from Hawaii, but it stands out from the surrounding air traffic quite a bit. I suppose that could explain why the trail looked so "thick."
"When the going gets weird, the Weird turn Pro." -Hunter S. Thompson
"Man, a guy gets drunk *once* and it's all anyone remembers..." -HBJ
Kojiro

Post by Kojiro »

And yet it takes the Pentagon hours to figure out it was a "plane." It only takes a few minutes to pull up and look at flight patterns; they shouldn't be shrugging their shoulders for hours before finally coming up with a half-assed answer. Take note the scientist admits he "can't prove" that it was a "plane." I'm still trusting Jane's on this. The propellant looks nothing like a jet contrail.
Has not religion claimed a patent on creation for all of these millennia?
-The Tleilaxu Question,
from Muad'dib Speaks
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

"NI HAO! NI HAO! WOMEN HAOCHI! WOMEN HEN HAOCHI BA!"

They come in peace.

I come in thick smelly gobs.
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

It's a COOKBOOK!!!
:angry-screaming:
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

I ain't no expert on contrails and cirrus clouds and such;
I am an expert on spotting snafu US military behavior,
and the MOs of ensuing cover-ups - & this is it ....

"Desert Storm Syndrome" was caused when US Army Rangers mis-identified
the labeling on a large number of containers in a large number of bunkers in southern
Iraq, dating from the Iran-Iraq war - knowing that the army was not going to be able
to stay in Southern Iraq for long, the order was given to blow-up these bunkers &
their contents - the mis-identified containers were various, still unidentified chemical
weapon components, mostly likely inert or no longer suitable for deployment in mortars,
but still dangerous chemicals ....

the Rangers ran thru these bunkers as quickly as they found them, gathering documents
and intelligence items &etc, marked the bunkers "weapons caches" and moved on; army
combat engineers came behind, did not inspect the bunkers, planted demo and destroyed
the bunkers .... releasing the chemicals in the smoke and dust ...

the result was the denial of the symptoms of "Desert Storm Syndrome" for 20 years now ....

for a number of obvious reasons, all applicable to the current situation -

> the army is not going to admit they ordered the engineers to blow up the bunkers
that contained chemical weapons (US made chemicals, given to the Iraqis during
their war with Iran) that dosed thousands of US army personnel and thus admit
liability for the resulting problems .... (hello, Agent Orange ...)

> the army could not blame the obvious symptoms of chemical weapon exposure on
any incidents related to the fighting; if the Iraqis had deployed chemical weapons
against US troops, that opens up a whole 'nother can of worms- treaty violations and
so forth, violations that would have demanded a response from the US government that
they weren't willing to take (SecDef Cheny: "No-one wants to invade and occupy Iraq ...");

if the chemical exposure was caused by US deployment of weapons during the fighting,
accidental or otherwise, that's back to square one ... a situation that cannot be dealt
with truthfully ...

&etc. &etc. &etc.

y'all know I'm not a believer in "big government conspiracy" ... 9/11 was an inside job and bullshit like that ...
I'm on the side of "the government ain't that smart to hold together such a conspiracy", and it's not ... but this is not that ...
this is Cover Your Ass on a grand scale - everyone involved is on the same team ... "Well, shit no, we can't admit that"

it's like the press agreeing not to run photos of FDR in his wheelchair or looking the other way when JFK ran all the hookers
thru the Oval Office .... is it a "conspiracy" ? well, yes, in the technical sense ... but the press saw it as the government did,
a matter of national security ... as this is ... no-one needs the Navy admitting it lost control of a big-ass missile ...

I did get a kick out of NASA scientists using this opportunity to drop "global warming" into the conversation again, tho ...

and for those of you who missed it before, my opinion is that "global warming" is a semi-legitimate phenomenon mo'better called
"climate change" and may in fact be affected by CO2 emissions and so forth; but the interesting point is how the whole thing was
started by a small handful of NASA scientists during funding hearings on a series on satellites to study the "ozone hole", now a
well-understood natural occurrence that's been happening since the earth got an atmosphere - yet, I believe Australian school
children are still required by law to wear sun bonnets ...
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

merkin muffley wrote:It's a COOKBOOK!!!
:angry-screaming:
Not when I get done with it, it won't be! ;)
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

Ew!
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I made Mandy say Ew! :dance: