Worst "SyFy" Movie Ever

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Sandwurm88
Not Soleman

Worst "SyFy" Movie Ever

Post by Sandwurm88 »

Which is worse, Plan 9 From Outer Space, or Battlefield Earth?

Or other, but I highly doubt you can find a movie worse than these two. Plan 9 from Outer Space is my favorite, the special effects are hilariously awful and the plot is flimsier than the worst KJA monstrosity.
Serkanner
Administrator

Re: Worst "SyFy" Movie Ever

Post by Serkanner »

NOTHING is worse than a KJA monstrosity!!!!
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

Niether! The ALL TIME WORST SCI FI STINKER OF A MOVIE goes to the 1986 post apocalyptic classic Roller Blade! Run, don't walk, to get your copy today! It'll pay for it's self the first time you wager,'my movie is worse than yours!"

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUTFJtKU ... re=related[/youtube]

the concept:
In this post apocalyptic world anyone walking is an easy target. You must skate or die!
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Holy gods that was amazing.
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

D Pope wrote:Niether! The ALL TIME WORST SCI FI STINKER OF A MOVIE goes to the 1986 post apocalyptic classic Roller Blade! Run, don't walk, to get your copy today! It'll pay for it's self the first time you wager,'my movie is worse than yours!"

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUTFJtKU ... re=related[/youtube]

the concept:
In this post apocalyptic world anyone walking is an easy target. You must skate or die!
Brilliant!!!
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xb7c9AuT ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRG6o8kK ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is all I can find on youtube, like the Chigger said- sometimes a thing is so collossally bad it's amusing.
If anyone can find the scene where the mother superior, in her red, pointy, hat and wheel chair, explains that when she was young people skated for fun, that scene embodies the movie.
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
SpacemanSpiff

Post by SpacemanSpiff »

The thing about Plan 9, Although it is colossally bad, The guy who made it Ed Wood Jr. was famous for really bad movies. He really thought he was making a good film and he did it out of his love for movies at least based on what I know about him. 'SyFy' just makes bad movies cause they're too cheap and don't know enough about real SF to make good ones
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Yeah, it's so bad it's GOOD. In a bad way. :lol:

Battlefield Earth was just... John Travolta with a massive hard-on for Hubbard. And instead of having the common decency to disappear into the bathroom for a few minutes, he proceeded to whip it out and stroke it in front of the camera for 118 minutes. And then doesn't deliver a money-shot at the end.

Unbelievably bad. Comparing the two is a bit dim, actually.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Personally I cannot stand to watch Plan 9. It's just so awfully stupid that I cannot abide it.

Battlefield Earth is so cheezy that I personally cannot stay away from it. I really hope that when I do upgrade, somebody has gone to the trouble of making a blu-ray. I loved it so much, if I won the lottery I'd rehire everyone and tell them to make films of the other 2/3 of the book. Maybe I'd be the only one to go, but I'd be in heaven.

KERBANGO!

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

What was it 'Rider told Greenbutt? ... Sometimes you just ain't right. :?
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:What was it 'Rider told Greenbutt? ... Sometimes you just ain't right. :?
All bets are off when it comes to movies. Dude, SF movies are supposed to be shitty. Battlefield Earth is a superlative example.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
reverendmotherQ.

Post by reverendmotherQ. »

I used to be a fan of Starship Troopers when I was ten. Then my dad pointed out it's based on a Heinlein book and how its unrecognizable from the original. Then he proceeded to comment on how the military protocol was ruined and I couldn't ever watch it again without his voice popping in reminding me of the film's errors.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Troopers was pretty bad, about all it had in common with the book was it's name, and the name of it's main character.
Sandwurm88
Not Soleman

Post by Sandwurm88 »

That skatepunk movie was pretty funny.

Thanks to SandChigger for getting in the mandatory insult-- it's okay, I can take it better than most!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Yes, I should think your sensitivity to stimulus is lessened if you're still dulling your mind by tokin'. We'll have to smack you around a little harder from now on. "Wake up! Wake up now!" It's obvious you kinda enjoy that sort of thing, too... ;)
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

I haven't seen Battlefield Earth in years, but I own it on VHS and enjoyed it when I was younger. I read the book around the same time in about three nights and thought it was much better, which isn't saying too much. It's hilariously self-indulgent.

The difference between Battlefield Earth and SyFy movies is that Battlefield Earth actually had a budget and was trying to be good while SyFy movies are limited and just strive for the best weekend time-killer they can manage.

Also, can't leave out trivia! The movie was reported by Franchise Films as having a $75 million budget but really had a $44 million budget because FF was big on fraud.

And the original screenwriter (fired because Travolta wanted to take over) disowned the movie and accepted his Razzie, even going so far as to write an apology to anyone that saw it! :lol:
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

The screenwriter's apology was awesome. I really want to see Battlefield Earth again, after all of this talk. All I can really remember is Travolta saying: "Now he will select his favorite food... it's a rat!?"

And I remember them saying "leverage" a lot, and thinking, "That is some Scientology bullshit."
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Redstar wrote:I haven't seen Battlefield Earth in years, but I own it on VHS
:shock:

My god... you're much braver than I could have imagined, admitting something like that. :clap:
and enjoyed it when I was younger.
Youthful ignorance is only a valid excuse for some things. :naughty:
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

SandChigger wrote:
Redstar wrote:I haven't seen Battlefield Earth in years, but I own it on VHS
:shock:

My god... you're much braver than I could have imagined, admitting something like that. :clap:
I own the 20th anniversary hardcover edition too. :lol:

It's my "Let's see how quickly I can read a shitty 1,000 page book book." (I have to tell you, the technobabble makes it hard, but I press on)
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

I think we hit on this a year or so ago, but Battlefield Earth is hardly the worst book in the world. It's actually quite fun, in its own loopy-ass way.

It also points to an interesting difference between Hubbard and Anderthrob. When he was on his game and actually trying, Hubbard could write a bit; that will never, ever be the case for Keith. It's the difference between having some talent and natural aptitude for a given subject ... and having none whatsoever.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.