Dune Collection

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Dune Collection

Post by Omphalos »

Every time that I find a nice hardbound copy of Dune in a bookstore I buy it, so I can give it away and spread the word about Dune. Over the years I must have given away fifty to fifty-five copies. Here's what I have in "stock" now. The leather-bound are mind, and the pb is my reader.

What do you do to spread the word about Dune?

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Robspierre

Re: Dune Collection

Post by Robspierre »

I have three or four paperbacks of the first three books in my box of books for the classroom.

Rob
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

I can't count the paperback copies of Dune i've given away, maybe in the fifties...

For about a year, my oldest two grandchildren shared my home and Dune was the first bedtime book I read to them. I wish I hadn't lost track of the picture Tammy drew of Pauls test with the Gom Jabbar.

When applicable, i'd quote Dune at work and sometimes that'd lead to my 'lending' out another copy.
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

I'm constantly lending Dune to people. I think my copy had probably been through about 20 reads over the years. Everyone loves it, but they usually stop midway through Children of Dune. :|
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Omphalos wrote:What do you do to spread the word about Dune?
I buy every used copy I come across. When I've used the book in my Lit. classes, I give them to the students when we are finished.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

My girlfriend still has my copy of Dune. Meanwhile, she finished "Nights in Rodanthe." So, I had to put it in her butt last night. And, you'll notice I'm no longer listed as being "In a Relationship" on my Facebook page. :(
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Tell her it was an accident.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Aquila ka-Hecate

Post by Aquila ka-Hecate »

merkin muffley wrote:My girlfriend still has my copy of Dune. Meanwhile, she finished "Nights in Rodanthe." So, I had to put it in her butt last night. And, you'll notice I'm no longer listed as being "In a Relationship" on my Facebook page. :(
Which one, Merk? Dune or Nights in Rodanthe ?
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

:lol:
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

maybe fifteen years ago or so, I took paperbacks of the first 2 books and tore the covers off and used some
stiff cardstock and gorilla glue and made a single, James A. Michner-sized single volume, and did the same
with Children & God-emperor ... I cut out the titles and artwork from the original covers and glued them to
the cardstock covers and covered that with wide heavy-duty clear craft-tape ...

the Dune edition was one of the movie-tie-ins and the Messiah was a larger than usual reprint - don't know from
when, I'll have to look - the Children and God-emperor were smaller print; the end result was two sturdily-bound
thick volumes of almost exactly the same size ... convenient- I remember taking those two books on trips, they
were compact & portable .... they're still on a bookshelf in the library, I'll dig them out sometime and get a photo,
if I can find that fucking camera - I may just have to break-down and buy a new one, tho, I haven't seen that
camera in atleast a year or so ...

and like Omph, I found that hardback edition on sale somewhere a while back, like $10 apiece or something, and bought
about 20 of them; given most of them to older teens and young adults - I don't see the point in encouraging a child
under 15 to read Dune - I don't care how smart the child thinks it is, they're not smart enough to understand it ... and
giving Dune to a 15 year old boy to read for the first time has the advantage of prefacing the story by telling the kid that
this story begins when Paul Atreides is 15 ...
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Ive given most of mine to adults. But my goddaughter is getting of an age where she can appreciate it. Maybe in a year or two for her.

Id like to see those book covers of yours. I'm imagining, like, prison cigarette-cardboard type folk art.

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

actually, yes, very similar, and that's where I got the idea -

about 1990 I started getting involved in some of the fledgling "Innocence Projects" that were just starting up -
I had gotten really riled up and incensed at the reluctance of "The Authorities" to use new DNA techniques in
the investigation of old cases, especially the ones involving Capital Sentences ... they no fucking problem at
all using the technology to convict people in new cases, but in old cases where there may have always
been questions about actual guilt, and now there were different types of of DNA things that probably should be
investigated, especially before killing a potentially innocent man, and double-especially if the case was still in
the Appeal process, well .... they just didn't have the money and budget and time and blah-blah-bullshit ....

one Warden actually told me to my face, "Wahll, now, them there DNA-whatchacallits, hell, they ain't all that ak'rut no-ways ..."

this was a genuinely walking-stupid-fuck, BTW, opening the door for me to say, "Really, Warden. Is that really so?"
and rattling off a list of recent convictions based on DNA, some as flimsy as partial-matches on cigarette-butts found near
the Scene Of The Crime ...

that activism led to contact with some of the kids doing some of the leg-work, but the really interesting part came when I
began hanging around with prison chaplains and getting access thru them to facilities in Texas, Arkansas and Louisiana ...
part of it was the legal bullshit but part (if not most) of it was also just regular historical research for me - I got to spend
a whole lotta time on the Grounds and in the buildings at the Tucker Plantation in Arkansas (the basis for some for most of
the story told in the movie "Brubaker") and the Angola Farm in Lousiana, f'instance.

and as a re-enactor who like to make as much of my stuff as I can from on-hand material, the inventiveness, craftsmanship,
and skill of the convicts was really inspirational - the book idea I got directly from TDC inmates, after a rule limiting the number
of books a convict could have in his box was passed - they never said how big those five books you were allowed to have
could be ....(got the wide clear craft-tape idea from them, too, it was one of the items allowed for "hobbycraft" - that stuff is
fucking excellent for a number of applications ...)

so also, from time to time, I'll throw out my opinion or something about the way the "corrections industry" works,
and that's why - I got heavily involved in the activism for awhile, and still have contact with a number of convicts -
I'm not soft on them, I've done stupid shit my whole life and done enough county lock-up and drunk-tank time to
have a taste of the life; most of those men are shitheels and professional fuck-ups that are where they need to
be for the time-being; I'm also a believer in Truth and Playing By Your Own Fucking Rule You Hypocritical Bastards
and in treating human beings like human beings .... and the vast, vast majority of convicts are going to be released
some time, I think it'd be prudent to try to train those men in some real, applicable skills, and try to help to understand
how to function in "society" and give them some hope for a better life, instead of making them more pissed off and
anti-social and insane than they already are, and then letting out with an agenda of revenge ...

but fuck, that's just me .... an' everbody knows I'm an idiot ...
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

:clap:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Shaitan

Post by Shaitan »

:clap: :clap: :clap:
SandRider wrote:actually, yes, very similar, and that's where I got the idea -

about 1990 I started getting involved in some of the fledgling "Innocence Projects" that were just starting up -
I had gotten really riled up and incensed at the reluctance of "The Authorities" to use new DNA techniques in
the investigation of old cases, especially the ones involving Capital Sentences ... they no fucking problem at
all using the technology to convict people in new cases, but in old cases where there may have always
been questions about actual guilt, and now there were different types of of DNA things that probably should be
investigated, especially before killing a potentially innocent man, and double-especially if the case was still in
the Appeal process, well .... they just didn't have the money and budget and time and blah-blah-bullshit ....

one Warden actually told me to my face, "Wahll, now, them there DNA-whatchacallits, hell, they ain't all that ak'rut no-ways ..."

this was a genuinely walking-stupid-fuck, BTW, opening the door for me to say, "Really, Warden. Is that really so?"
and rattling off a list of recent convictions based on DNA, some as flimsy as partial-matches on cigarette-butts found near
the Scene Of The Crime ...

that activism led to contact with some of the kids doing some of the leg-work, but the really interesting part came when I
began hanging around with prison chaplains and getting access thru them to facilities in Texas, Arkansas and Louisiana ...
part of it was the legal bullshit but part (if not most) of it was also just regular historical research for me - I got to spend
a whole lotta time on the Grounds and in the buildings at the Tucker Plantation in Arkansas (the basis for some for most of
the story told in the movie "Brubaker") and the Angola Farm in Lousiana, f'instance.

and as a re-enactor who like to make as much of my stuff as I can from on-hand material, the inventiveness, craftsmanship,
and skill of the convicts was really inspirational - the book idea I got directly from TDC inmates, after a rule limiting the number
of books a convict could have in his box was passed - they never said how big those five books you were allowed to have
could be ....(got the wide clear craft-tape idea from them, too, it was one of the items allowed for "hobbycraft" - that stuff is
fucking excellent for a number of applications ...)

so also, from time to time, I'll throw out my opinion or something about the way the "corrections industry" works,
and that's why - I got heavily involved in the activism for awhile, and still have contact with a number of convicts -
I'm not soft on them, I've done stupid shit my whole life and done enough county lock-up and drunk-tank time to
have a taste of the life; most of those men are shitheels and professional fuck-ups that are where they need to
be for the time-being; I'm also a believer in Truth and Playing By Your Own Fucking Rule You Hypocritical Bastards
and in treating human beings like human beings .... and the vast, vast majority of convicts are going to be released
some time, I think it'd be prudent to try to train those men in some real, applicable skills, and try to help to understand
how to function in "society" and give them some hope for a better life, instead of making them more pissed off and
anti-social and insane than they already are, and then letting out with an agenda of revenge ...

but fuck, that's just me .... an' everbody knows I'm an idiot ...
Definitely a topic that gets far too little attention. Of all the bullshit our culture tolerates, "justice" is right up there at the top.
"When the going gets weird, the Weird turn Pro." -Hunter S. Thompson
"Man, a guy gets drunk *once* and it's all anyone remembers..." -HBJ
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

If only we had a class of rehabilitators that was as rabid as the warehousers.

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

more off-topic, and I might expand on this later,
but from what I've seen, what DOES work and THE ONLY
thing that works is Vocational-Technical training (Vo-tech)

if anybody's interested in hearing about that, remind me later ...
I just got back from Liendo Plantation this afternoon & I'm one
tired Lil' Confederate General ...
ImageImage

merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

Now she's reading something called "Twice Kissed" by Lisa Jackson. The tagline is "The only good twin is a dead twin."
Apjak

Post by Apjak »

Back on topic... sort of. I've been thinking that the OH should start stamping copies of Dune like the Gideons.

Also, some sort of pasted page insert that we could leave in the McDune. Kinda like how the kiddo's Manga has a page that says "warning this is the back of the book", because it Japanese and so forth. Except our would read, "Warning this book is crap, and if you read it without regularly vomiting then you run the risk of becoming a total fuckwit, assuming that you weren't one before.
I don't think the author should make the reader do that much work - Kevin J. Anderson
We think we've updated 'Dune' for a modern readership without dumbing it down.- Brian Herbert
There’s an unwritten compact between you and the reader. If someone enters a bookstore and sets down hard earned money(energy) for your book, you owe that person some entertainment and as much more as you can give. - Frank Herbert