What College did y'all go to?

    Non-dune discussion

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

User avatar
SadisticCynic
Posts: 2045
Joined: 07 Apr 2009 09:28
Location: In Time or in Space?

Re: What College did y'all go to?

Postby SadisticCynic » 30 Sep 2010 16:58

Ok, that's a bit clearer now, thanks. :)
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity

User avatar
SadisticCynic
Posts: 2045
Joined: 07 Apr 2009 09:28
Location: In Time or in Space?

Re: What College did y'all go to?

Postby SadisticCynic » 30 Sep 2010 17:10

Right, I should have done this before I asked:

In many other countries, including the United Kingdom, undergraduate students are normally required to concentrate on one subject throughout their degree, so the concept of a "major" is not relevant. Instead, the choice of degree and subject determines the entire course of study, and courses not relevant to their degree subject cannot be taken. However, some UK universities require that students study the first year course material from three degree schemes, although this is rare. UK Students choose their degree subjects when they apply to attend university at the beginning of their final year at school (age 17/18). University applications are usually approved directly by the academic department that teaches the degree, so the offer of a potential place is valid only for that particular subject degree.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academic_major

Therein lies the confusion. :)
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity

User avatar
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
Posts: 18239
Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Contact:

Re: What College did y'all go to?

Postby Freakzilla » 30 Sep 2010 17:39

People here just take classes untill they have enough credits for something.
Image
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman

User avatar
Spicelon
Posts: 703
Joined: 30 Mar 2008 23:31

Re: What College did y'all go to?

Postby Spicelon » 30 Sep 2010 18:20

I've attempted some many credit hours that I can no longer receive some college loans, if you can believe that!

I have over 20 hours of college math and about 12 hours of engineering physics, and I don't use any of it!
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.

User avatar
A Thing of Eternity
Posts: 6090
Joined: 08 Apr 2008 15:35
Location: Calgary Alberta

Re: What College did y'all go to?

Postby A Thing of Eternity » 30 Sep 2010 18:34

Major is what gets written on your degree to distinguish you from the people who took 8 million classes that have nothing to do with each other, and as as such not actually well educated in any particular area (AKA - me, if I ever finish my 20 year degree :wink: ).
Image

User avatar
Spicelon
Posts: 703
Joined: 30 Mar 2008 23:31

Re: What College did y'all go to?

Postby Spicelon » 30 Sep 2010 18:42

A Thing of Eternity wrote:Major is what gets written on your degree to distinguish you from the people who took 8 million classes that have nothing to do with each other, and as as such not actually well educated in any particular area (AKA - me, if I ever finish my 20 year degree :wink: ).


The 20 Year Plan is underrated. I was on it, but was foiled by an act of reproduction with the female kind. Double drats!
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.

User avatar
A Thing of Eternity
Posts: 6090
Joined: 08 Apr 2008 15:35
Location: Calgary Alberta

Re: What College did y'all go to?

Postby A Thing of Eternity » 30 Sep 2010 18:45

Spicelon wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:Major is what gets written on your degree to distinguish you from the people who took 8 million classes that have nothing to do with each other, and as as such not actually well educated in any particular area (AKA - me, if I ever finish my 20 year degree :wink: ).


The 20 Year Plan is underrated. I was on it, but was foiled by an act of reproduction with the female kind. Double drats!


I'm also planning to get the ol' snip snip though. :D
Image

User avatar
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero
Posts: 14492
Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:29
Location: A continuing state of irritation
Contact:

Re: What College did y'all go to?

Postby SandChigger » 30 Sep 2010 18:57

Freakzilla wrote:People here just take classes untill they have enough credits for something.

Wild, drunken merrymaking?

Oh, and a piece of paper! :P

User avatar
Aquila ka-Hecate
Posts: 233
Joined: 21 Feb 2010 06:52
Location: Johannesburg
Contact:

Re: What College did y'all go to?

Postby Aquila ka-Hecate » 30 Sep 2010 22:12

SandChigger wrote:I started out in the College of Engineering majoring in Computer & Information Science. (


Yeah, Chig - you make my point (which none of my colleagues believe) that Computer Science is more closely related to language than to Maths.

And Sadistic Cynic - way to go UK for increasingly narrow specialisation :( I mean, how many 18 year old know exactly what they want to do for the rest of their lives?

User avatar
merkin muffley
Posts: 1584
Joined: 23 Apr 2010 15:18
Location: War Room

Re: What College did y'all go to?

Postby merkin muffley » 01 Oct 2010 10:49

Freakzilla wrote:My advice to you is, start drinking heavily.


You can get a lot out of doing what Freakzilla has just described (in a Dune-vein).
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."

User avatar
DuneFishUK
Posts: 1990
Joined: 25 May 2008 14:14
Location: Cool Britannia
Contact:

Re: What College did y'all go to?

Postby DuneFishUK » 01 Oct 2010 18:45

Aquila ka-Hecate wrote:
SandChigger wrote:I started out in the College of Engineering majoring in Computer & Information Science. (


Yeah, Chig - you make my point (which none of my colleagues believe) that Computer Science is more closely related to language than to Maths.

And Sadistic Cynic - way to go UK for increasingly narrow specialisation :( I mean, how many 18 year old know exactly what they want to do for the rest of their lives?

How many graduates get the job they want.


(I did... but out of 70+ people in my year, I'm one of around 5.)

User avatar
Mr. Teg
Moderator
Posts: 699
Joined: 11 Feb 2008 10:14
Location: Chair
Contact:

Re: What College did y'all go to?

Postby Mr. Teg » 02 Oct 2010 18:27

Many people don't know what they want to do when they enter college.
Most jobs have nothing to do with your major (so don't worry too much about it).
With that said...

1) community college
2) summer courses local university
3) Online options compared to 10 years ago is becoming widely accepted and available.
4) Larger selection of chicks at college...
5) Larger selection of chicks at college...
CHOAM
Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile, Narf!
Brian, Kevin & Byron Image The HLP