Happy Autumnal Equinox!

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Happy Autumnal Equinox!

Post by Freakzilla »

In the language of science, an equinox is either of two points on the celestial sphere where the ecliptic and the celestial equator intersect. For the rest of us, it's one of two times a year when the Sun crosses the equator, and the day and night are of approximately equal length.

At the autumnal equinox (Sept. 22, 2010, 11:09 P.M.), the Sun appears to cross the celestial equator, from north to south; this marks the beginning of autumn in the Northern Hemisphere.

The vernal equinox, also known as “the first point of Aries,” is the point at which the Sun appears to cross the celestial equator from south to north. This occurs about March 21, marking the beginning of spring in the Northern Hemisphere.

On the date of either equinox, the Sun is above the equator and night and day are of approximately equal length; the word equinox is often used to refer to either of these dates.

The equinoxes are not fixed points on the celestial sphere but move westward along the ecliptic, passing through all the constellations of the zodiac in 26,000 years. This motion is called the precession of the equinoxes. The vernal equinox is a reference point in the equatorial coordinate system.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Re: Happy Autumnal Equinox!

Post by Eyes High »

Happy belated one. The moon was beautiful last night I noticed that. Yeah! Fall is here. Three cheers for Autumn in the South. :dance: :dance: :dance:
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I'm tired of sweating. :cry:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

Happy equinox! The weather here is great, really sunny and warm.
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

chanilover wrote:Happy equinox! The weather here is great, really sunny and warm.
Strange, down in the desert it's been overcast, grey, and raining :shock:

Rob
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

Woo Hoo!
:dance:
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
Aquila ka-Hecate

Post by Aquila ka-Hecate »

Happy Vernal Equinox!

That's the middle of Spring, not the start of it.

That is, if you consider the Solticial points to be mid winter and mid summer - and I do, bugger what some NASA dude has to say.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

I'm not 100% sure of this, don't really remember how that works and what Freak posted just confused me,
but I'm thinking that if you've planted your solstice markers correctly, sunrise and sunset should mark (geographical)
due east & west ...

also:
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

Happy Mid-Autumn Festival.

And nice shot!
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."