Labor Day Weekend From Hell

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Robspierre

Labor Day Weekend From Hell

Post by Robspierre »

So saturday morning I discovered my cat Bubba dead. At first I thought old age had gotten to him but a few feet away in the nice insulated box was a stray black cat also dead. Bubba looked like he was sleeping when I found him.

Because of the second dead cat we believe that Bubba and the other cat got into something that had been put out. We do not have any poison about and the two closest neighbors who loved Bubba due to him going to their places and helping do his part in keeping the rodent population down checked their properties for any leaks and what not nothing.

We do have some "people" for lack of a better word down the road who are less than stellar examples of human beings. I can't prove it but they have talked about poisoning animals such as coyotes and wild dogs. It may of been on purpose or it may of been just to get any animal.

Even if I could prove it, New Mexico law is pretty light but I have a sheriff deputy friend watching these assholes waiting to nail them for something that carries a stiffer penalty(the sheriffs department has been keeping an eye on them recently and this just makes my friend want to nail them even more) than if they were charged and found guilty of killing Bubba and the other cat. These people are loud and stupid and will slip up sooner than later. It still hurts though. Bubba was a good cat. He was a mouser and a hunter and he loved attention from my family and the neighbors who looked out for him as well.

Rob
Last edited by Robspierre on 05 Sep 2010 23:37, edited 1 time in total.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Re: Labor Day Weekend From Hell

Post by Omphalos »

So sorry to hear this, Rob. If they did something like this, I hope the cops get them and get them good.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

That's terrible. A good old cat is always a great member of the family. Maybe you can get him and the black cat tested for any poison and get a search for any poison on those "people's" property.
Aquila ka-Hecate

Post by Aquila ka-Hecate »

I'm so sorry, Rob.

I second the suggestion of poison testing - in fact, why not get a full autopsy done on Bubba?

I did when my 3 canine companions were killed - and because of that, largely, I'm about to nail the perpetrators' asses to the door (err..floor..whatever)
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

Man, that's awful. I'm so sorry to hear that, I love cats and dogs, and he seems like a great cat.

I have some idea of how you must feel about these fucks down the road, and I know what I would want to do, and what these fucks deserve.

But I don't want you to get into trouble and, of course, wouldn't suggest anything illegal, so I will just say that I hope something that would be illegal happens to them by way of force majeure.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

So sorry to hear about this Rob. The death of a good pet is hard in the best of circumstances, but under such situations as this .... :tissue2: There is no sense in it. I wish the best for you my friend. Keep the fond memories of Bubba and all of his hi-jinks (being a cat, I'm sure there must have been at least a few) My heart goes out to you in this time of your loss. Love ya my friend.
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

I agree with the testing autopsy idea. I have zero tolerance for animal cruelty.

I'm sorry for your loss, I completely understand the bond between a family and good pets.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

I feel for ya mate, no one deserves a nut punch like that. Tough.
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
trang

Post by trang »

sorry to hear about your cat rob, that really is tough.

I can say after your introduction of Bubba to us:

I was a friend of Bubba...

He gave love and friendship to rob.

May your officer friend find the first opportunity to take the water of those down the road!
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

I am very sorry to hear about your loss Rob. :( ...
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
nampigai

Post by nampigai »

sorry to hear! I can't stand poison - in any form.
Do not be quick to reveal judgment. Hidden judgment is often more potent. It can guide reaction whose effects are felt only when too late to divert them.
- Bene Gesserit Advice to Postulants
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

That sucks Rob, hang in there.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

well Rob, I ain't never known you to be any kind of an idiot,
so I figger you've got some kind of idea what kind of flora is
around your place, but there's a number of late summer wild
shrubs around that're putting out seed berries right now, and
some of them can be extremely toxic ... it's been my belief
that domesticated cats have really lost a lot of instinct, or
something, about toxic plants ... they seem to be willing to
chew on anything ... the chances of both cats getting into
the same batch of wild poison seems slim ... I'd sure be
checking around your place for spilled or leaking containers
of anything like herbicides, even if you've already done a
once-over ... look for things that might've leaked into the
ground, into something a rodent could've eaten, wandered
off and died from it, then been shared by the cats ...
... and check your garage/driveway for anti-freeze leaks
from your vehicles, if you've already started winterizing vehicles ...
fucking anti-freeze is a big killer of animals - smells and tastes
sweet, kills 'em quick ... there's been talk about making safer
anti-freeze, but I don't know that it's been more than talk ...

s'anyway, while your neighbors may have baited poison out
for varmits, there are some other possibilities ... with both
cats being found dead at the same time, I'd kinda rule out
a virus or other disease, but you never know ...

http://vetmedicine.about.com/od/disease ... freeze.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.doctordog.com/catbook/catpoison.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://essmextension.tamu.edu/plants/toxics/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

& say what you want about Aggies, but them boys at College Station've got their stuff down ...
I use their websites all the time to get me pointed in the right direction on ag & wildlife questions,
and several times, I've found an article or something by someone that I've just emailed directly ...
great results with that ... and a whole bunch of time the Texas Ag Dept lackeys have told me:
"Huh, I dunno ... you done asked them kids at the A&M Extension ?" ....

http://essmextension.tamu.edu/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://vetmed.tamu.edu/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

You don't need poison to kill a cat. A bunch of aspirin in a can of tuna will do it.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Thanks guys.

All I will say is that some new data has come to light that rules out leaking fluids and flora/fauna.
Seems a few folks in the area have had pets die suddenly at the same time...

We didn't just check our property, we checked the two closest neighbors as well, they cared for him too. While we have had a heavy rainy summer, we have not had any new fauna appear (Thanks for the link SR, some good stuff there that I did not yet know) and we didn't find any new plants when we looked over the property.

Rob
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

Sorry to hear about bubba, Rob. Did you give him a big cat funeral?
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Sorry to hear about this, Rob.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Well, bloody fucking hell.

There's few things worse than sad animal stories. If this does turn out to be related to human activity, and not just a horrible chain of events or something, I hope they crucify the culprits. I mean that literally: I hope they nail their hands to a cross and put it up next to the freeway.

Sorry about this whole thing, Rob.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I'm really sorry to hear this Rob, good luck in getting anything done that can be if poison was the truth of it.

I had a dog die of suspected poisoning. He went mad in our garage, clawed 3/4 of the way through a solid wood door, smashed my guitar amp, etc... he was suffering terribly, as soon as we discovered him we took him in and they put him down, nothing could be done. We were never able to nail anyone, but had our suspicions.
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:I'm really sorry to hear this Rob, good luck in getting anything done that can be if poison was the truth of it.

I had a dog die of suspected poisoning. He went mad in our garage, clawed 3/4 of the way through a solid wood door, smashed my guitar amp, etc... he was suffering terribly, as soon as we discovered him we took him in and they put him down, nothing could be done. We were never able to nail anyone, but had our suspicions.
There are some real scum around, aren't there?
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

A foul piece of work up the back from us decided it'd be funny to shoot our dog in the ass with his new 22.
The bullet broke Rustys back at a point about a quarter of the way forward of his tail disabling his aft half. The vet said it'd be kinder to kill him so we did.
You can imagine my desire to inflict similar suffering.
If I didn't believe that what goes around comes around, well, i'd probably be dead or in jail.
I grieve with you.
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

D Pope wrote:A foul piece of work up the back from us decided it'd be funny to shoot our dog in the ass with his new 22.
The bullet broke Rustys back at a point about a quarter of the way forward of his tail disabling his aft half. The vet said it'd be kinder to kill him so we did.
You can imagine my desire to inflict similar suffering.
If I didn't believe that what goes around comes around, well, i'd probably be dead or in jail.
I grieve with you.
That's terrible... my girlfriend and I recently "rescued" a couple dogs from a landlord that was going to shoot them (we had to lie to the alcoholic owner of the dogs to get him to let them go with us, but otherwise his landlord was seriously going to shoot them). We took them to the Humane Society and they're up for adoption now, I think one was already adopted. Nice dogs.