Terraforming, fremen-style.

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Lundse

Terraforming, fremen-style.

Post by Lundse »

A very old experiment, by Charles Darwin (some of you may have heard of him), building an "artificial ecosystem":
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-11137903

They are thinking about using the same basic idea of letting the right mix of natural plants in the right place and in the right time, for terraforming. Sound familiar?
lotek

Re: Terraforming, fremen-style.

Post by lotek »

that's amazing!

thanks for pointing it out :)
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Great Story!
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
nampigai

Post by nampigai »

Cool!

It made me search for stuff on the Sahara desert - I actually didn't know that that desert were greening.
Do not be quick to reveal judgment. Hidden judgment is often more potent. It can guide reaction whose effects are felt only when too late to divert them.
- Bene Gesserit Advice to Postulants
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

nampigai wrote:Cool!

It made me search for stuff on the Sahara desert - I actually didn't know that that desert were greening.
I watched a show on the Sahara last weekend. Appearantly there are enourmous prehistoric aquifirs underneath it and it is on a wet/dry cycle of about 20,000 years coinciding with the wobble of Earth's axis. I think we are on the swing back to wet, woohoo!

It was interesting watching the scientist point out whale and mangrove root fossils in the middle of the desert.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman