At the doctor today

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

At the doctor today

Post by Omphalos »

My wife had the following conversation with my daughter today at Kaiser, in a looooong line of people:

Daughter (in a soft voice, as with secrets between women): Mommy, was I born here?
Mom: Yes, honey. You were born in the next building, right over there.
Daugther (in a loud voice, triumphant with forbidden knowledge): Well, I may have been born here, but Daddy said that you made me in the living room.

Debating putting that up on Facebook.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: At the doctor today

Post by Freakzilla »

NICE! :lol:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Apjak

Post by Apjak »

While not funny I took my wife to the doctor to day. Seems she broke her collar-bone in Martial Arts class last night.
I don't think the author should make the reader do that much work - Kevin J. Anderson
We think we've updated 'Dune' for a modern readership without dumbing it down.- Brian Herbert
There’s an unwritten compact between you and the reader. If someone enters a bookstore and sets down hard earned money(energy) for your book, you owe that person some entertainment and as much more as you can give. - Frank Herbert
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

Nothing like a little living room love.
"The Idahos were never ordinary people."
-Reverend Mother Superior Alma Mavis Taraza
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Drunken Idaho wrote:Nothing like a little living room love.
Umm, was that to Omph or Apjak...?

:P
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

SadisticCynic wrote:
Drunken Idaho wrote:Nothing like a little living room love.
Umm, was that to Omph or Apjak...?

:P
Ouch! Are you suggesting that I was suggesting Apjak's wife has a big mouth? :lol:

I was referring to the original post by Omph, for the record...
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

To Omph: Out of the mouths of babes come words we should never had said. :oops:

To Apjak: Sorry to hear about that. Hope she heals quickly. (I'll be praying for you both)

And while we have a 'doctor thread' now I would like to take this opportunity to ask for y'all's prayers and well wishes. I had to take our youngest son to the extended-care section at our Doctor's office yesterday because he was complaining about back pain. With-in an hour & a half he was crying with every move he made. Turned out to be another kidney infection. We don't know why he is getting these. It's his second one in the same month. He's just 13. He has been referred to an uralogist, which he will be meeting Monday. Those of you who are parents know how frustrating it can be to see your child in pain and no way to help him. We would appreciate any and all prayers and well wishes.

I know that many of you are not Christians; however, I do believe in the power of prayer (along with some strong medication) so that is why I ask of you my friends.

Oh, and once again Omph, you might want to remind your daughter about things said at home need to stay at home. :lol:

And D.I. about dang time to see you back on here.
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

Thanks Eyes High, nice to see you too. But not so nice to hear that about your son. I hope they figure out the problem and get him a solution quickly.

I had a little hospital drama myself recently, had a bout of cellulitis which is a skin infection and has nothing to do with cellulite. Basically I woke up one morning and my right calf was red and swollen all the way around. Two nights prior to this, I had a terribly feverish night complete with chills, headache, and unrestfullness. I thought it was a flu at that time, but until I was diagnosed I never made the connection that it was probably due to the infection. Anyway, I called my doc's office and after describing the leg they advised me to go to ER, because it could be one of two things: a blood clot or cellulitis. Would have been a much more serious situation if it was a blood clot, but they did an ultrasound and found no such clot. After diagnosis, they gave me a three days worth of antibiotics fed to me via a take-home IV pump that I had to carry around like a purse attached to my bloodstream for three days. After that, I had to take an oral antibiotic that didn't work at all, and eventually got some stronger stuff. Took a couple months to fully heal, but there is still some mild discoloration in the area which may be permanent. Ah well.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Eyes, I'm very sorry that your son's having such a bad time of things recently and sincerely hope that the doctors can identify and treat him with all haste.

DI and Apjak :( get well and stay well guys.

Oh, and omph, hahahahahaha :lol:
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

I've never heard of something like this happening outside of jokes. :lol:
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

It's like one of those terrible jokes in Playboy, isn't it?

Goodnight Golden Path!
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Omphalos wrote:It's like one of those terrible jokes in Playboy, isn't it?
Playboy has jokes?
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Nekhrun wrote:
Omphalos wrote:It's like one of those terrible jokes in Playboy, isn't it?
Playboy has jokes?
There's occasionally a few words published there, yes.

Goodnight Golden Path!
Aquila ka-Hecate

Post by Aquila ka-Hecate »

Eyes: Holding you and your youngest son in my thoughts and meditations.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Playboy readers can read? :D
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

My 8-year-old was recently diagnosed as bi-polar and ADHD.

:crazy:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Freak, I think that Doctors like to apply titles, tags and labels to everything these day.

Now obviously I can't have an opinion re the validity of their "findings", but if his a little up and down sometimes and can't focus/concentrate on dull lessons that very much reminds me of me as a child. But again I'm speaking from a position of complete ignorance and mean no offence.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

He's been under obsesrvation for the past two or three weeks, and will be for a few weeks more to be sure.

Believe me, this is a last resort.
~Pink Snowman
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

inhuien wrote:Freak, I think that Doctors like to apply titles, tags and labels to everything these day.

Now obviously I can't have an opinion re the validity of their "findings", but if his a little up and down sometimes and can't focus/concentrate on dull lessons that very much reminds me of me as a child. But again I'm speaking from a position of complete ignorance and mean no offence.
Agreed. people come to doctors for answers, so Doctors feel pressured to give a diagnosis of some kind. I can't speak for ADHD, but I know that the symptons of ADD are just things that annoy teachers.
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

Excersize caution when you're looking at ADD, ADHD. My mom was a school nurse and lost a lot of tears over bright children who were being drugged into a stupor to make them 'managable.' According to her, DI's dead on!
Just be carefull mate.
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I didn't want him to be drugged, neither did my wife. Like I said, he is under observation from the time school ended until about 8:00 at night five days a week. They want to give him Trileptal, but I haven't researced it yet.
~Pink Snowman
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

D Pope wrote:Excersize caution when you're looking at ADD, ADHD. My mom was a school nurse and lost a lot of tears over bright children who were being drugged into a stupor to make them 'managable.' According to her, DI's dead on!
Just be carefull mate.
"Sir Ken Robinson: Do Schools Kill Creativity?"

This TED Talk is one of the best I've seen. I highly recommend you watch the whole thing when you get a chance, Freak, but at the very least, skip to his story at the 15-minute point.
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

All the best mate, that's gotta be rough.
edit;DI, Brilliant!
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Freak - do some quick general reading on ADHD first - this has become a catch-all diagnosis for a wide
number of chemical imbalances and disorders with the pre-frontal lobe and its development, some of which
have little to do with "hyperactivity" or "attention deficit" .... they are all just related conditions of the same
area of the brain ....

generally, it's not about the observable behavior - the behavior is an indication of the condition ...

giving high-grade stimulants to a "hyperactive" person may not make sense at first .. but the problem is in the
state or development of the pre-frontal lobe ... it's just not firing right, and the result is a wide range of weird-ass
behaviors ... the stimulants ramp-up and eventually regulate the brains functioning ...

here's a good one - if you've ever seen someone snort up a line of cocaine and then take a great nap,
they have this condition - the stimulant kicks in the (disordered) pre-frontal lobe, causing it to act more
"normally" -- same thing with coffee - some people can drink a pot of coffee and go to bed ... the stimulants,
especially the correct ones, actually "quiet" the brain; my youngest boy talked about the drugs "toning
down the noise" ... he could go to sleep, and sleep very well, on a dose of meds that would blow the top of
my head off and keep me wired for days ...

like everything else, it's a hit-and-miss with diagnosis ... and the "experimentation" with the meds is a part of
that ... if you have symptoms the doctor thinks is indicative of a urinary tract infection, for instance , he will
prescribe appropriate medication ... if the symptoms were relieved, the diagnosis is confirmed .. if not, they
have to look for another cause ...

I've said this before, at this point, this type of psychology isn't voodoo ... they've got their shit together,
and with the wealth of studies and information, it's really a matter of statistics .. if you have this or such
symptom (behavior) there is an X% chance you also have this other symptom ... if you do have have that,
there's the X% chance you also do this or that ... and so-one like one of those Japanese pinball machines,
until the ball finally lands in a little box at the bottom ... then there are meds for that box ... those are
tried and dosages adjusted until maximum benefit is achieved ... and, if benefit is not almost immediately
seen, then they go back and look for something else ...

again, the reason for the "high" level of ADHD diagnoses today is:
1) the phrase covers a huge range of very similar medical issues, with very different and varied symptoms
2) this type of pre-frontal lobe developmental problem is extremely fucking common, and has been
forever ...
3) it's very easy to diagnose the disorder

don't dwell on the horror-stories propagated by the media - the vast, vast majority of children diagnosed and
treated for ADHD have very positive results ... their parents will tell you they saw immediate improvement in
attitude, emotions, and behavior with the first round of meds ... this isn't a news story, tho ...

adults with ADHD are definitely a group to listen to ... these folks will tell you they struggled their whole lives
with depressions, drugs addiction (to the wrong drugs, trying to make themselves "feel better"), cognitive
issues &etc, and one day got ahold of a clinical psychologist who thought they might have ADHD (which
they've had since birth, it's a development issue with the pre-frontal lobe, remember) and have fucked
up their lives mainly by trying to compensate and deal with the issue in the wrong ways ... they get on
some meds, get immediate benefit, believe in the meds and the diagnosis and the process, get their meds
adjusted to the optimum level, and live peaceful, successful and happy lives for the first time ...

those people may or may not have to take the meds for the rest of their lives - with kids, if the disorder
and identified before puberty, the meds can regulate the issue and the meds are only needed for a short
time - the pre-fontal lobe is kick-started and develops normally from then on ... (another reason for the
"high" level of this diagnosis in kids - at your boy's age, it's totally fucking correctable ....)

steps off soapbox,
fires off another angry email
to the APA about redefining "ADHD"
and one to Tom Cruise reminding him
he's an ignorant asshole with mommy-issues ...
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Apjak

Post by Apjak »

When I was a young child who hated school and was bored out of my everloving mind, they tried to put me on ritalin even though the tests came back to show that I was only bored. My parents put me on this diet http://www.feingold.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and they swear by it.
I don't think the author should make the reader do that much work - Kevin J. Anderson
We think we've updated 'Dune' for a modern readership without dumbing it down.- Brian Herbert
There’s an unwritten compact between you and the reader. If someone enters a bookstore and sets down hard earned money(energy) for your book, you owe that person some entertainment and as much more as you can give. - Frank Herbert