Never Schedule a Doctor's Appointment on Friday the 13th!!

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Sandwurm88
Not Soleman

Never Schedule a Doctor's Appointment on Friday the 13th!!

Post by Sandwurm88 »

Hey, so it's Friday the 13th today!!

The main topic of this thread is "Do you believe in bad luck and that general kind of stuff?"

Today I went to the doctors, and right before I left I got a new kind of shot that I'd never gotten before, some kind of tetanus thing with a bunch of other stuff (although I have gotten those damn tetanus shots before, I'd never gotten this according to my doctor). So anyways, I got it right before the end of the check-up and I started heading out the door. Then my ears started ringing, my hands went numb, I got really dizzy, and my eyes sort of reverted to a static-y blackness and I fainted and slammed my head against the wall and fell to the ground. I woke up like ten seconds later and the nurse laid me down and the doctor came in and told me basically in a nutshell with lots of scientific jargon that I'd basically had a bad reaction to the shot.

Okay, so now that I've sufficiently felt sorry for myself, have any of y'all ever had a bad experience on Friday the 13th?
A Thing of Eternity

Re: Never Schedule a Doctor's Appointment on Friday the 13th!!

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

No, there's no bad luck associated with dates and such, bad things happen all the time and when they happen to correspond with something we've been told is bad luck then it sticks in our memories and reinforces those beliefs. Same thing with horoscopes and such, they can be wrong 50 times, but some people are kinda squishy in the brain and when it finially lines up they start believing (I always tell people to start reading the ones for a different sign and watch with amusement as they realize there's the same frequency of accuracy).

This about it, why would the universe conspire to make bad things happen on a date that we humans picked?

Then there's self-fulfilling prophesy, just like a placebo but bad. You expect things to go wrong, so you watch for them more carefully, or you have a bad attidute or are afraid and literally cause things to go wrong.

Superstition is even funnier than religion, because most cannot be argued out of their religion, but can be taught about the errors of their superstitions. Then it's fun to poke at them by pointing out that they were every bit as sure about that magic junk as they still are about their religions - and they probably had more evidence for the superstitions. :wink:

I'm a jerk like that though, I like messing with people's missconceptions.
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

In all the years I've called this planet home, I've only had one Friday the 13th that something really bad happened to me. And the date did not cause it. It could have happened on any date.
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Can't remember anything bad ever happening on a Friday the 13th in nearly half a century. :dance:

Thang pegged it: soft-headed nonsense.

(Sorry to hear about your bad reaction to the shot, btw.)
Superdog

Post by Superdog »

I have cancer and am on chemo, and my hair started to fall out yesterday (aka Friday the 13th). Don't believe it has anything to do with the date, though.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Superdog wrote:I have cancer and am on chemo, and my hair started to fall out yesterday (aka Friday the 13th). Don't believe it has anything to do with the date, though.
Bummer, man. Sorry to hear that.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

off the top of my head, cause I'm too fucking tired to google and am headed for the bunk,
but isn't Friday the 13th the date of the Execution of the Templars ?

maybe that's what brought the Shaolin Grasshopper in here babbling about the Masons ...

BTW, the "real meaning" of Eyes Wide Shut is that Kubrick's a pervert and just wanted to get
Tom Cruise and the Horse Faced Australian Broad to put on a private fuck-show for him ...or
all that was an elaborate lie to further deflect the Cruise-Homo rumors ...because, if true, Stanley
Kubrick is the only human being to ever witness Cruise having sex with a woman ...
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Dead Calm did a much better job of that, only without the Scientology nut job, and when what's her face was still hotter then all get out.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Superdog wrote:I have cancer and am on chemo, and my hair started to fall out yesterday (aka Friday the 13th). Don't believe it has anything to do with the date, though.
Echoing Freak. :(

What are they telling you about the prognosis?
Aquila ka-Hecate

Post by Aquila ka-Hecate »

Also sorry about the cancer and the chemo, s'dog - hell of an environment we've built for ourselves here. Little girls growing breasts, male fish turning into females...more cases of cancer around me now than I ever remember from 40 years ago.

On Friday 13th, I'm not so sure about the Templar link - although that major Templar Dude was either arrested or killed on that date, according to legend. Jaques du Molee, I think that was his name.

There are 13 complete lunations in a solar year, though. Add to that the naming of Friday after a Goddess in many European languages, and I think we could be looking at some kind of patriarchal funk type reaction. This would only hold for the last 2000 odd years, though.

Myself, I love Friday 13th. This last one was simultaneously the celebration of Hecatesia, although merely by coincidence. And on that day, too, we sat down to lunch at an Indian restaurant to say farewell to an old and beloved colleague in the Fraud department - and there were 13 of us at table. I, needless to say, had a ball. :mrgreen:
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

Damn, Dog! I'm sorry to hear that, hope all the best for you! Why don't you start a thread or something so we can ride along on your road to recovery!
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

SandRider wrote:BTW, the "real meaning" of Eyes Wide Shut is that Kubrick's a pervert and just wanted to get
Tom Cruise and the Horse Faced Australian Broad to put on a private fuck-show for him
:lol: She has a very high forehead.

Sorry to hear about the chemo, Superdog. Take care of yourself, and I hope things get better for you soon.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

AHp! Missed this last time I was here Superdog. Sorry to hear this. Went through this with my ex-wife in the 90's. She was a pretty cool looking bald chick. Hopefully your skull will present well too. :D

Here's to speedy recovery.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Indeed, Take good care of yourself. All the best.
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Superdog take care and get better.

Rob
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Sorry to hear that S-Dog, I hope it does the trick for you.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

I'm pulling for you SuperDog!
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Superdog

Post by Superdog »

Thanks everyone. I have Hodgkin's Lymphoma, which supposedly has a 90% survival rate. So I'll probably be ok, it's just a matter of going through chemo. Chemo is no bed of roses, but it hasn't been too bad so far.
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

Sorry to hear about the health problems man. Hope they caught it early enough. Will be praying for a speedy recovery. I had a friend who had lung cancer and the chemo did wonders for her. She lost her hair for a while I was among the few who didn't notice that she had started wearing a wig. I just thought she had died her hair a shade darker. :oops: She's doing great now and is in full remission. I know five other people who have survived different types of cancers and some of them are in their second decade of remission.

Healing thoughts sent your way.

:romance-caress:
Superdog

Post by Superdog »

Eyes High wrote:
It might be the pain meds, but I think that made me feel tingly. :shock:
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

more proof that Teh InnerNet Makes You Stoopid :

http://www.life123.com/holidays/hallowe ... tion.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Friday The 13th Superstitions And History
By: Jennifer Maughan

Friday the 13th superstitions are among the most pervasive of all bad-luck beliefs. On this day, many people believe bad things are bound to happen, and any luck is bad luck. Learning about the history and evolution of Friday the 13th may relieve people and allow them to face their phobia (known scientifically as "paraskevidekatriaphobia").

Why Friday?
Throughout history, humans have divided time into segments to be tracked and noted. The Western calendar in its modern form has its origins in ancient lunar calendars, with approximately 30 days. These days were divided into 7-day blocks with named days. The Gregorian calendar (used in the Western world today) became official in 1582 AD. With Sunday being the Sabbath and the holy day for Christians, Friday began to develop a bad reputation. Since Jesus Christ was crucified on Good Friday, Friday was traditionally feared as a day of doom. Christian tradition also linked Friday with pagan festivals and celebrations. As the unlucky association with Friday continued, many people refused to do certain tasks on this day-European ships avoided launching on Fridays, and public hangings in Great Britain were held on Fridays.

Why 13?
Numerology has strong pagan and Christian traditions as well. In early pagan rituals, 13 was a powerful feminine number, linked to the lunar calendar and the female menstrual cycle. Christians also vilified the number 13 as the number of people who attended the Last Supper. The number 13 kept its unlucky reputation as people linked coincidental catastrophes to it. However, the number is not universally considered unlucky-ancient Egyptians thought it was particularly lucky.

Friday The 13th
As the unlucky Friday merged with the 13th day of the month, people in the Middle Ages and beyond took measures to avoid any auspicious actions on that day, such as plan weddings, conduct important business or even start a journey. Many disasters that took place on Friday the 13th were blamed on the unlucky superstitious beliefs of that day. Today, many people in the Western world still hesitate to invite bad luck on Friday the 13th by avoiding driving, eating out or hosting a party.
http://www.associatedcontent.com/articl ... tml?cat=37" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Behind the Superstition: Friday the 13th
Kristina Jones
Published April 11, 2007 by:
Kristina Jones

This year, April 13th falls on a Friday. On this day, many people may believe their luck is in jeopardy. Friday the 13th is said to be the most unlucky day, but have you ever thought where this superstition was started
and why? The history behind the superstition has both Christian and pagan roots and is an extension of the phobia of the number 13, triskaidekaphobia. The phobia of Friday the 13th is known as paraskavedekatriaphobia.

Biblical Roots

The Biblical roots of Friday the 13th are often thought to come from three main events. The first event is when Eve tempted Adam to eat the apple. It is believed this incident happened on a Friday, making Fridays unlucky days. Another Biblical tradition believes the Great Flood and the confusion at the Tower of Babel both began on Fridays.

The main origin behind the superstition of Friday the 13th, in the Bible, comes from the last days of Jesus' life on earth. There were 13 people present at the Last Supper. It is believed by many Christians that Jesus was crucified on a Friday, known as Good Friday. With the significance of both the number 13 and the day of the week, Friday, both had become viewed as unlucky. It is believed this superstition more than likely began in the medieval times.

Norse Legend

It is believed that Friday the 13th superstition began as a Norse myth. The Norse myth was about twelve gods who were feasting in Valhalla, when an uninvited guest decided to crash the party. Loki, the uninvited guest, brought the total guest list to 13. Loki had made arrangements for the blind god of darkness, Hod, to shoot Baldur, the god of joy and gladness, with an arrow made of mistletoe. Baldur died and as a result of his death, the Earth was plunged into total darkness and mourning.

http://www.worldcorrespondents.com/frid ... cky/888807" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Friday the 13th Superstitions: History Tells Why Friday the 13th is Unlucky

August 14, 2010 by Tracy Edenloft · 3 Comments

Friday the 13th Superstitions: History Tells Why Friday the 13th is Unlucky – Today, August 13, 2010 is what we all know as Friday the 13th. Every 13th of Friday, a lot of people have their own superstitions of bad luck. If you look on a calendar, any month’s 13th day will fall on a Friday if that particular month starts on a Sunday.

According to wiki, the fear of Friday the 13th is known as friggatriskaidekaphobia. The word comes from the word “frigga” meaning Friday and “triskaidekaphobia” meaning fear of number 13. How many of you have this kind of fear?

The history of Friday the 13th is unknown as there is no written documents about the bad luck superstition that many believe it brings. However, one theory where its history originated is from two other superstitions – that 13 is an unlucky number and Friday is an unlucky day.

In numerology, 13 symbolizes the number of irregularity. That’s why we don’t have 13th floors in our elevators. One superstition about the number 13 dates back in a Norse myth originating from the Last Supper in that having 13 people seated at a table will result in the death of one of the diners.

Moreover, the day of Friday is also considered as an unlucky day that’s why some of us have superstition not to travel on a Friday or begin new projects. The word “Black Friday” has been associated in history to several major stock market crashes aside from the well known Black Friday among Christians representing the death of Jesus Christ.

Research shows that the anxiety caused by people who believe on superstitions of Friday the 13th is the leading cause why incidents of accidents happen. The anxiety causes stress and most likely they get paranoid that something bad is going to happen. How about you, do you believe in Friday the 13th superstitions?
http://www.snopes.com/luck/friday13.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

*Home </snopes.asp> --> Luck <luck.asp#friday13> --> Friday the 13th*

Friday the 13th

*Legend:* Friday the 13th is a day fraught with peril.

*Origins:* Although most of us would probably affirm that
superstition's role in Western culture is now a much diminished one,
more a source of amusement than anything else, there are still those who
allow their trepidation over particular days or dates to prevent them
from engaging in their choice of activities. We may make jokes about
Friday the 13th and only kiddingly instruct loved ones to exercise
greater care on that day, but those who suffer from a fear of the number
thirteen (triskaidekaphobia) or a fear of Friday the 13th
(paraskevidekatriaphobia) may genuinely feel limited by the rumored
potential for ill luck connected with the date.

The reasons why Friday came to be regarded as a day of bad luck have
been obscured by the mists of time ? some of the more common theories
link it to a significant event in Christian tradition said to have taken
place on Friday, such as the Crucifixion, Eve's offering the apple to
Adam in the Garden of Eden, the beginning of the Great Flood, or the
confusion at the Tower of Babel. Chaucer alluded to Friday as a day on
which bad things seemed to happen in the /Canterbury Tales/ as far back
as the late 14th century (/"And on a Friday fell all this mischance"/),
but references to Friday as a day connected with ill luck generally
start to show up in Western literature around the mid-17th century:

* /"Now Friday came, you old wives say, Of all the week's the
unluckiest day."/ (1656)

From the early 19th century onward, examples abound of Friday's being
considered a bad day for all sorts of ordinary tasks, from writing
letters to conducting business and receiving medical treatment:

* /"I knew another poor woman, who lost half her time in waiting for
lucky days, and made it a rule never to . . . write a letter on
business . . . on a Friday ? so her business was never done, and
her fortune suffered accordingly."/ (1804)

* /"There are still a few respectable tradesmen and merchants who
will not transact business, or be bled, or take physic, on a
Friday, because it is an unlucky day."/ (1831)

Friday was also said to be a particularly unlucky day on which to
undertake anything that represented a beginning or the start of a new
venture, thus we find references to all of the following activities as
endeavors best avoided on Fridays:

* *Needleworking*: /"I knew an old lady who, if she had nearly
completed a piece of needlework on a Thursday, would put it aside
unfinished, and set a few stitches in her next undertaking, that
she might not be obliged either to begin the new task on Friday or
to remain idle for a day."/ (1883)

* *Harvesting:* /"My father once decided to start harvest on a
Friday, and men went out on the Thursday evening, and, unpaid, cut
along one side of the first field with their scythes, in order to
dodge the malign fates which a Friday start would begin."/ (1933)

* *Laying the keel of, or launching, a ship*: /"Fisherman would have
great misgivings about laying the keel of a new boat on Friday, as
well as launching one on that day."/ (1885)

* *Beginning a sea voyage:* /"Sailors are many of them
superstitious . . . A voyage begun [on a Friday] is sure to be an
unfortunate one."/ (1823)

* *Beginning a journey:* /"I knew another poor woman, who . . .
made it a rule never to . . . set out on a journey on a Friday."/
(1804)

* *Giving birth:* /"A child born on a Friday is doomed to
misfortune."/ (1846)

* *Getting married:* /"As to Friday, a couple married on that day
are doomed to a cat-and-dog life."/ (1879)

* *Recovering from illness:* /"If you have been ill, don't get up
for the first time on a Friday."/ (1923)

* *Hearing news:* /"If you hear anything new on a Friday, it gives
you another wrinkle on your face, and adds a year to your age."/
(1883)

* *Moving:* /"Don't move on a Friday, or you won't stay there very
long."/ (1982)

* *Starting a new job:* /"Servants who go into their situations on
Friday, never go to stay."/ (1923)

In some cases, Good Friday (the Friday before Easter) was regarded as an
exception or 'antidote' to the bad luck usually associated with Friday
beginnings:

* / "Notwithstanding the prejudice against sailing on a Friday . . .
most of the pleasure-boats . . . make their first voyage for the
season on Good Friday."/ (1857)

* / "It was accounted unlucky for a child to be born on a Friday,
unless it happened to be Good Friday, when the event was
counterbalanced by the sanctity of the day."/ (1870)

The origins of the connection between the number thirteen and ill
fortune are similarly obscure. Many different sources for the
superstition surrounding the number thirteen have been posited, the most
common stemming from another Christian source, the Last Supper, at which
Judas Iscariot was said to have been the thirteenth guest to sit at the
table. (Judas later betrayed Jesus, leading to His crucifixion, and then
took his own life.) This Christian symbolism is reflected in early
Western references to thirteen as an omen of bad fortune, which
generally started to appear in the early 18th century and warned that
thirteen people sitting down to a meal together presaged that one of
them would die within the year:

* / "I have known, and now know, persons in genteel life who did,
and do, not sit down to table unmoved with twelve others. Our
notion is that one of the thirteen so partaking, will die ere the
expiry of the year."/ (1823)

* / "The old story runs, that the last individual of the thirteen
who takes a seat has the greatest chance of being the 'doomed
one'."/ (1839)

Superstition held that the victim would be the first person to rise from
the table (or the last one to be seated), leading to the remedies of
having all guests sit and stand at the same time, or seating one or more
guests at a separate table:

* / " . . . Miss Mellon always gave the last comer an equal chance
with the rest for life . . . she used to rise and say, 'I will not
have any friend of mine sit down as the thirteenth; you must all
rise, and we will then sit down again together.'"/ (1839)

* / "Every one knows that to sit down thirteen at a table is a most
unlucky omen, sure to be followed by the death of one of the party
within the year . . . Some say, however, that the evil will only
befall the first who leaves the table, and may be averted if the
whole company are careful to rise from their seats at the same
moment."/ (1883)

* / " . . . so far is this feeling carried that one of the thirteen
is requested to dine at a side table!"/ (1823)

(The "thirteen at the table" form of superstition again harkens back to
the Last Supper: the one who left the table first, Judas Iscariot, died
at his own hand soon afterwards.)

More generally, groups of thirteen people in any context ? at a table,
in a room, on a ship ? were believed to inevitably lead to tragedy:

* / "On a sudden an old woman unluckily observed there were thirteen
of us in company. This remark struck a panic terror into several
who were present . . . but a friend of mine, taking notice that
one of our female companions was big with child, affirmed there
were fourteen in the room . . ."/ (1711)

* / "Notwithstanding . . . opinions in favour of odd numbers, the
number thirteen is considered as extremely ominous; it being held
that, when thirteen persons meet in a room, one of them will die
within the year." (1787)/

* / "Many will not sail on a vessel when [thirteen] is the number of
persons on board; and it is believed that some fatal accident must
befall one of them." (1808)/

By the late 19th century the superstition surrounding thirteen had
become even more general, with people going out of their ways to avoid
anything designated by the number thirteen, whether it be hotel rooms,
desks, or cars:

* / "'Look at that,' said Parnell, pointing to the number on his
door. It was No. 13! 'What a room to give me!'" (1893)/

* / "For some time before the late War I went almost daily to the
British Museum reading room . . . I gave some attention to the
desks left to the last comers . . . there was a very marked
preference of any other desk to that numbered '13'." (1927)/

* / "The mechanic helped him get out [of the racing car]. 'May as
well scratch,' he said. 'He won't be good for anything more this
afternoon. It's asking for trouble having a No. 13.'" (1930)/

Once again these ill omens were avoided through artifice, such as the
renumbering of rooms in hotels and inns to eliminate any Room #13's, and
misnumbering the floors above the 12th floor in multi-story buildings so
that tenants could pretend 13th floors were really 14th floors.

Just as Friday was considered an inauspicious day of the week on which
to embark upon a new enterprise, so the 13th day of a month came to
signify a particularly bad day for beginning a venture. Although
regarding the confluence of a particularly unlucky day of the week
(Friday) and a particularly unlucky day of the month (the 13th) as a
date of supreme

unluckiness might seem to be obvious and inevitable, superstitions
regarding Friday the 13th are not nearly as old as most people tend to
think. The belief in Friday the 13th as a day on which Murphy's Law
reigns supreme and anything that can go wrong will go wrong appears to
be largely a 20th century phenomenon. (The claim that the Friday the
13th superstition began with the arrest of the final Grand Master of the
Knights Templar, Jacques Demolay, on Friday, October 13, 1307, is a
modern-day invention.)

Books of English folklore generally cite a 1913 /Notes & Queries/
reference as the earliest known expression of Friday the 13th as a day
of evil luck, and this corresponds to what we found when we searched
/The New York Times/ and the /Los Angeles Times/ for similar references.
In both newspapers the first mentions of the ill-fated date occured in
1908, as in this short piece about a U.S. senator from Oklahoma who
dared to tempt fate by introducing 13 bills on Friday the 13th:

*13 SIGN ON INDIAN SENATOR*

*Puts In 13 Bills on Friday the 13th and
There's Little Hope for them.*

WASHINGTON, March 13 ? Friday the 13th holds no terrors for Senator
Owen. The Senator from Oklahoma is a Cherokee Indian, and he places the
Indian sign on the ancient superstition.

To-day he introduced thirteen public building bills, and by a queer
coincidence the file numbers ran from 6,113 to 6,125, inclusive.

There is little likelihood that the public building bills at this
session will carry any but the most pressing improvements.

(It's interesting to note that this very early reference to Friday the
13th already describes it as being an "ancient superstition.")

Similarly, a 1913 piece described a minister who offered to marry free
of charge any couple willing to take the matrimonial plunge on Friday
the 13th:

*WED FREE FRIDAY THE 13TH*

*Pastor's Offer to Any Young Couple
Willing to Take the Chance.*

MIDDLETOWN, N.Y., June 10 ? Any young couple bent on matrimony may have
the ceremony performed free next Friday by applying to the Rev. Charles
H. Reynolds, pastor of the North Congregational Church.

Mr. Reynolds does not believe that Friday is unlucky, nor that Friday,
June 13, 1913, is unlucky, and therefore he offers to tie the knot free
of charge for any young couple who comes to him on that day.

These days, however, one is unlikely to get so much as a free latte out
of the day. Sanguinity comes at a price.

*Last updated:* 8 August 2007

http://www.crystalinks.com/friday13th.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does anybody believe that Friday the 13th is necessarily a bad luck day anymore? Get over it. Superstitions make great copy and distill fear, the key element in our reality upon which most storylines are based. They control those who would allow themselves to be controlled, or more to the point, are programmed to that end and need to awaken and move beyond conditioning. In the 21st (3) century, for most adults ... it's just another day in the life.

The number 13 is probably the most common of all superstitions, considered a bad luck day unless you were born on Friday the thirteenth in which case it is allegedly your lucky day.

Reality is a Virtual Experience Created by a Consciousness Matrix
Moving through the door into the light and grids of creation
In 2000, 'The Thirteenth Floor' was nominated for the Saturn Award for Best Science Fiction Film. However, the award went to The Matrix.

Reality is myth, math and metaphor created by the patterns of Sacred Geometry that repeat in cycles called Time (Clock) and Space (Space). 12 Around 1 or 13

13 = (1+3) = 4 = closure of our reality program or the evolution of consciousness back into light.

4 also references the number 40, given significance throughout history. Year 40 was a leap year starting on Friday of the Julian calendar.

13 is a Fibonacci Number (F7).

13 is the 6th prime number. 6 is sometimes considered an unlucky number due to its association with 666 (18=9=closure).

13 is the second Star Number.

There are 13 circles in Metatron's Cube.

13 is the atomic number of aluminium. In chemistry and physics, the atomic number (also known as the proton number) is the number of protons found in the nucleus of an atom. It is traditionally represented by the symbol Z. The atomic number uniquely identifies a chemical element. In an atom of neutral charge, atomic number is equal to the number of electrons. The atomic number is closely related to the mass number, which is the total number of protons and neutrons in the nucleus of an atom.

In prophecy we find:

* 12 crystal skulls around 1 forming a matrix at the end of physical time
* Mesoamerican (Mayan) Long Count Calendar and Calculating the Tzolk'in date portion which takes us to Long Count 13.0.0.0.0 on December 21, 2012.

The lunisolar calendar generally has 12 months but every second or third year has 13.

With the 12 around 1 matrix, we find the origins of a superstition linking 13 people at the Last Supper - 12 disciples around Jesus, his death creating bad luck, until he returns.

The human menstrual period occurs in a typical woman every 28 days, and this in many ancient cultures suggested a connection between thirteen and women. The association of thirteen with bad luck may be a vilification of the "female" number.

According to another interpretation, the number 13 is unlucky because it is the number of full moons in a contemporary year, but two full moons in a single calendar month (mistakenly referred to as a blue moon in a magazine article of the 1940s) only happens about every 5 years.

Early nursery rhymes stated there were thirteen months in a year because of the natural moon cycle that was used to count the lunar year. In England, a calendar of thirteen months of 28 days each, plus one extra day, known as "a year and a day" was still in use up to Tudor times.

It was suggested by Charles A. Platt writing in 1925 that the reason 13 is considered unlucky is that a person can count from 1-12 with their 8 fingers, two thumbs and 2 feet, but not beyond that, so the number 13 is unknown, hence frightening, hence unlucky. This idea discounts the use of toes or other body parts in counting.

In Scotland, there is no gate 13 in any airport, instead there is a gate 12B.
Inside of a Lufthansa plane with row numbers going straight from 12 to 14.
Some airplanes skip a row 13, going straight from 12 to 14.

Some tall buildings have resorted to skipping the "thirteenth floor", either by numbering it "14" or as "12a".

Some streets do not contain a house number 13.

In some forms of motor sport, for example Formula One, there is no number 13 car.

In many cultures, getting married on any day of the week that falls under number 13 is highly discouraged. There is a superstition that should thirteen sit at a table to dine, one will die in the next year. This prompted the formation of The Thirteen Club to debunk it.

The legion with which Julius Caesar crossed the Rubicon was the Legio XIII Gemina or the 13th legion.

The Code of Hammurabi, a collection of laws created ca. 1760 BC, does not contain a thirteenth law.

The College of William and Mary claims 13 priorities, or achievements of the academic world, which they accomplished before any other university or college in the United States. For example, William and Mary was the first college in the US to establish an honor code. A marble plaque commemorating these 13 priorities hangs on the exterior wall of the Wren Building, the nation's oldest academic building still in continuous use. Today, the Wren Building houses the college's Religious Studies department.

The Apollo 13 spacecraft malfunctioned after being launched on April 11th at 13:13 CST, forcing it to return to Earth without a landing on the moon and imperiling its crew.

After 13 years of being the richest man in the world, Microsoft Corporation chairman Bill Gates lost this title, according to Forbes magazine's 2008 list of the world's billionaires.

Microsoft plans to skip Office 13 for being "an unlucky number," going directly from Office 12 to Office 14.

The creators of the online game Kingdom of Loathing avoid the number 13 in all of their programming.

Friday the 13th

The fear of Friday the 13th is called paraskavedekatriaphobia or paraskevidekatriaphobia, a specialized form of triskaidekaphobia, a phobia (fear) of the number thirteen.

Thirteen may be considered a "bad" or "unlucky" number simply because when a group of 13 objects or people is divided into two, three, four or six equal groups, there is always one leftover, or "unlucky", object or person.

Mythology

Friday the 13th superstitions originated in a Norse myth about twelve gods having a feast in Valhalla. The mischievous Loki crashed the party as an uninvited 13th guest and arranged for Hod, the blind god of darkness, to shoot Baldur, the god of joy and gladness, with a mistletoe-tipped arrow. Baldur was killed and the Earth was plunged into darkness and mourning as a result.

Frigg

'Friday' was named after Frigg (or Frigga),
the Norse goddess of marriage.

Freya

Later she was confused with the goddess of love, Freya, who in turn became identified with Friday. When the Norsemen and Germanic tribes became Christians, Freya was supposed to have been banished to the mountains as a witch. Friday came to be called 'witches' Sabbath. It was believed that on this day, each week, twelve witches and the Devil met - thirteen evil spirits in all.

History

The Knights Templar

Some believe that the arrest of Jacques de Molay, Grand Master of the Knights Templar, and 60 of his senior knights on Friday, October 13, 1307 by King Philip IV of France is the origin of this superstition. That day thousands of Templars were arrested and subsequently tortured. They then 'confessed' and were executed. From that day on, Friday the 13th was considered by followers of the Templars as an evil and unlucky day.

Were the Knights Templar created by a group called the Priory of Sion? The treasures and secrets of these mystical organizations take us to the American continent and the Freemasons, who carry the energy signature of the creation of our reality with them.

The Freemasons left us clues some of which include number 13.

The original US flag had 13 stars.

If you think outside the box, viewing the star pattern as a hologram,
raising the center point - it creates a pyramid of souls in color code blue.
You also see symbols for above and below - 'X' and a Diamond (Sacred Geometry)

The US One Dollar Bill depicts the Unfinished Pyramid at Giza
Golden Capstone, Alchemy of Consciousness
An Illuminated All Seeing Eye Above
Eye references the center of the Milky Way Galaxy

13 illuminated stars form a Star of David around a central source
Merkabah - Movement of Consciousness in and out of realities above the Eagle.

Friday the 13th Phobia Rooted in Ancient History
National Geographic - February 2004
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

Superdog wrote:
Eyes High wrote:
It might be the pain meds, but I think that made me feel tingly. :shock:

It's the meds. (or either the power of friendship) :romance-kisscheek: :angelic-green:
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

Superdog wrote:Thanks everyone. I have Hodgkin's Lymphoma, which supposedly has a 90% survival rate. So I'll probably be ok, it's just a matter of going through chemo. Chemo is no bed of roses, but it hasn't been too bad so far.
Sorry to hear that, Superdog. Hope your treatment goes well.
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.