Which Reply is Best for Nebby?

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Best reply: "What if I misunderstood a double negative I've never heard before?"

Then you'll add it to your list no doubt.
30%
I seriously can't imagine anyone wanting or even bothering to talk to you, so you probably don't have to worry about it too much.
15%
If you misunderstood a double negative you've never heard? You degenerate, devolved, SLUT.
15%
Then you're an idiot.
40%

Total votes: 20

lotek

Re: Which Reply is Best for Nebby?

Post by lotek »

Which Reply is Best for Nebby?
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Nebiros

Post by Nebiros »

I'm not joking. I really found a novel with an idiotic double negative title. I'm not giving the title because then I'd be making the book more popular.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Nebiros wrote:I'm not joking. I really found a novel with an idiotic double negative title. I'm not giving the title because then I'd be making the book more popular.
Way to take a stand for something important. :roll:

You hate evolution so much that you won't even let it happen with language.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Nebiros wrote:I just found a book in my library with a double negative for a title. I have a strong urge to burn it but that's totally being unprofessional as a librarian. I think I might put it away in a drawer and remove that book from the computer database.
You would seriously burn a book (or try to remove it from circulation) simply because it has a double negative IN THE FUCKING TITLE.

Please remove yourself.
lotek

Post by lotek »

in a fire then
Spice is the worm's gonads.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Nebiros wrote:I'm not joking. I really found a novel with an idiotic double negative title. I'm not giving the title because then I'd be making the book more popular.
You're a fucking moron.

And don't you think it's likely that the title was done on purpose? To be catchy, maybe? Or because it's from a phrase in the book? Or for ironic effect?

Wait ... do you even know what irony is?

I've taken a screenshot of your statement, fucktard. Any alleged "librarian" who would actually destroy a book or attempt to take it out of circulation should probably be having a talk with his employers. I'd like to make that happen. The sooner you are cleaning the fryers at Wendy's, the better off we'll all be.

Tool.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

I've pretty much left you alone because you have a history here and only show up to kick the cages, hoping to make their contents snarl.
Do you really think that it's ok to destroy a book because you don't like it's title? Are you satisfied that your opinion of a title is reason enough to remove a book from existance? If so, then you're guilty of judging a book by its cover and I sentence you to re-education. I think i'm merciful and recommend you make the best of it. Upon sucessful completion, you will be assigned a job that doesn't require you to make decisions, perhaps as a ditch digger or a pleasure unit in a bath house.
Do you know why people here don't like mcDune? Any idea why the book is always better than the movie? It's because of what's in it!
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Was it The Monster of Rok-Rok? Is "Rok" an Indonesian word for "don't?"

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Yeah, heaven forbid it's a book with a sarcast/ironic/tongue-in-cheek title, it must burn.
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

I can't believe it. I simply can't believe it.

What gives you the right to decide what others read?!

If double negatives bother you that much then maybe you need to seek professional help. I have my own pet peeves, i.e. when people use your for you're on purpose or ur for either your or you're simply because they can't be bothered with making a few extra key strokes, but I'm not going to decide that a book/story is unworthy to be read by someone else simply because the title may be "Ur on the Outside Lookg N"

What you are thinking about doing is illegal Censorship! Plain and simple censorship!

What if someone had tried that with Dune. "Oh look, this book as a four letter word. No one should be using four letter words. Oh Look! This book is titled God Emperor of Dune, No emperor is god, there is only one God! Can't have anyone seeing that."

If you carry out what you are thinking about doing, then you are behaving unprofessional, unethical, and in my opinion, immoral.

Fine if you don't wish to read said book; however, it is not your place to decide for anyone else who patronizes that library. Someone purchased that book for that Library or donated it to the library. It is not your property to do with as you please; therefore, it would be stealing.

A librarian is there to protect books, to help people find books to read, NOT to hide or destroy books.

Like I've said in post in another thread, I've never had a personal problem with you. I've disagreed with you on a few things but you and I have never really exchanged words before. However, anyone who violates the trust that people place in librarians simply because they don't like the Title of a book loses a lot of respect with me.

I know what we say here may not make a bit of difference with you but I do implore you to really stop and think this through. And as I said before, if double negatives bother you that much then this is more than just a pet peeve. Professional help could be in order to face this with clear eyes.
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
Kojiro

Post by Kojiro »

How the hell does a sad, pathetic piece of shit like you even become a librarian? Like Eyes High said, it's a librarian's job to protect books, not destroy them. The sooner someone reports your activities to your superior, the better.
Has not religion claimed a patent on creation for all of these millennia?
-The Tleilaxu Question,
from Muad'dib Speaks
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

don't listen to'em Nebby .... in fact, torch the whole place ...

let the mother burn .....
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I should have also mentioned that my earlier mild comment was just me reacting to anyone wanting to burn a book - an actual LIBRARIAN wanting to burn/hide/remove a book for any personal reason is a serious affront to the position, a sign of a maladjusted human being, and clearly a sinful act. (Considering it's stealing and/or destruction of property, censorship against the law, breaking the trust of your employers, and passing un-founded judgement upon the author you're actually looking at a whole pile of sins).
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

I guess I'm not enough of a Judge of Other Folk to get riled up about it ...
Censorship, book-burnings, etc. don't remove the Ideas from the world;
true, it may deprive a certain group of access or exposure to the Ideas, for a time,
but I'm not entirely convinced of the Absolute Value of the general public's Right to Information ...

in that, I mean, I'm not sure to what extent I'd support action to stop the censorship;
f'instance, up until all the paperwork got signed by everybody after the Kuwait Adventure,
it was formally illegal in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia to refer to Israel as a "nation", because
of the 1956 agreement Nassar got (most) of the Arab governments to sign (and I just can't
recall the actual name of the thing) denying the legality of Israel as a sovereign nation ...
later on, this was just referred to as "non-recognition" ... one of the things Sadat repudiated
at the Camp David talks and was subsequently shot in the head for ... anyway, in the news,
Israel was always referred to as the "Zionist Entity" .... somewhere around here I've got a
stack of Arab Daily News papers, the English language paper from Riyadh printed on this
funky green paper, from 1984 and the Israeli invasion of south Lebanon ... some of the convoluted
phrases that had to be constructed to avoid using the word "Israel" was downright funny ... they
could not name Israeli leaders or their official positions (to quote the Prime Minister of Israel, or the
Minister of Defense, and so on, would be to admit the Zionists had some form of government) ...

so there's a lot of "a leader of the Zionist Entity occupying Palestine said today ..." and you have no
fucking idea who the cat is ... the President ? Prime Minister? one of the Generals ? some clerk in
the Patent Office ?

I still have some world and mid-east maps that show "Palestine" and do not mark any of the major
Israeli towns & cities .... Tel-Aviv is not on those maps f'instance (and these were printed in Egypt
after Camp David, when Egypt recognized Israel; but the publishers of these maps tailored them
for their market ...) of course, these maps show the West Bank as a part of "Palestine" and not Jordan,
so it kinda confusing to explain just what those people believed back then ...

so here the point :
how important was it, from say 1979 up to 1991, that the people of Saudi Arabia were not allowed to
see or hear the word "Israel" in print or on radio or TeeVee ? on the one hand, a case could be made that
this was controlling the opinion of the people by restricting access to information, but that is only saying
that the government of Saudi Arabia was a tyranny .... and that just ain't news ... besides, the people
knew goddamn good and well who and what Israel was ... now, did this policy shape the opinions and
viewpoints of the kids growing up then ? or course, but they were already being taught Israel was a
illegal, evil "entity"; so that's just saying that the society of Saudi Arabia was twisting the minds
of their children towards hatred of Israel ... that ain't news, neither, and the Federal Government did
that all the time, against the Soviets, the Nazi-germans, them Japs .... now the arabs ...

so the question becomes, at what point does a government's censorship of information for its own people
become a danger to other nations, to the point where those other nations should take action ?

and that's a can o'worms .... my personal opinion is "never" .... if one sovereign nation can interfere with
the internal functioning of another sovereign nation, about anything, then "sovereignty" is a meaningless
word, there is no "rule of law", and military force will decide all questions (which is the situation we have
now, and, I believe, the true nature of the situation as it has always been ... everything else is just
rhetoric, myths & lies ...)

from a "defense" point of view, it is of course a Bad Thing if a government is supporting and teaching
an agenda of fear and loathing against another nation or people; when the Nazis started the Jews
are the Root of All Evil program, it was obvious there was gonna be some bad-outcome ... so should
the Federal Military have started the bombing of the German Homeland in 1936, after the first wave
of book burnings ?

I suppose it's possible to argue for this; this is what has evolved into the neo-con doctrine of pre-emptive
strikes, the use of Federal Military power to over-throw potentially dangerous governments ... and,
if you want your Nation to be an Imperial Conqueror and impose its values and morals on a subjugated
people in order to make your own people "safer" in the long run ... that's kinda legitimate ... IF you are
willing to put a true name on the policy, and not babble the myths & lies ...

that's the macro-view, I suppose ....
on a small-town scale, and on-topic here ... well ...
first off, I think he-whose-username-I-will-not-call was both dead serious about burning these books,
and I also think He Be Trollin' .... (well, maybe; I've not been convinced he's smart or clever enough
to troll here ... it's possible he's one of those folks like tehKJA, or my idiot brother, who just spew out
whatever's on the top their head and do not realize how it sounds to other, sane & rational, people ..)

second, I think the violent response here has little to nothing with the act of book-burning, but rather
an attack on the poster, who has a history here of expressing some questionable opinions and then
never, ever fully explaining or defending those opinions ... also, there is the gang-up pickin' on the
Fat Kid
pile-on phenomena (for me, I call it my I needs me a whippin' boy reflex)(governments
call this a "common, mutual enemy", some piece of meat that can be dangled in front of the mob to
divert its attention)

the example here would be the flame-retarded post of Kojo, calling him a "piece of shit" and delivering
the opinion that he-whose-username-I-will-not-call is not "qualified" to be a librarian, based on no
real evidence whatsoever, except the OP concerning the book-burnings themselves ... and all that then
falls under "false moral outrage" ... as do several other responses here (and let's not misunderstand what
the term "false moral outrage" means ... "exaggerated" & "inflated" are also adjectives used for these
types of responses .... meaning that while there may in fact be basis for moral objections to an action,
the "righteousness" factor gets amped up because of other, parallel issues with the first speaker ...)

and my personal opinion of a librarian removing personally objectionable books from any library,
public, Federal School, State or Private University, what-ever, is ... meh.

for one thing, it goes on all the time, always has, only occasionally comes to public attention for debate;
not much can (or should) be done about it; if you are holding a librarian in vaunted position, equal to a
priest or the ice-cream truck man, with vital and important social "responsibilities" , I think your priorities
might need an overhaul ...

and two, it is SUCH an objective thing; dependent first always on the communities' "social norms";
a local, "public" library these days is largely funded thru local donations (and money talks); there are
guidelines a public library must adhere to in order to receive State Funds (and these are determined
by State Legislatures) and guidelines for Federal Funds (these are determined by the Free Masons);

a public library is not bound to honor any of those guidelines, it's just about the money; the Federal
Government threatened to cut off funds to public libraries in Kansas three years ago over the removal
of books teaching evolutionary biology; them folks decided they opposed evolution more than they
needed Federal grants) the guy who's funding the remodeling of an entire block of the old downtown
in the LittleBigTown wanted a statue of Elmer Kelton and a special section for Elmer; he's donating
literally thousands of copies of ALL of Elmer's books to the library ...that whole section is going to
be an Elmer Kelton reseach archive ....

now, for an example, let's say I fucking Elmer Kelton (I do not, by the way; did not; I loved that
man very much and hope he has the Little Baby Jesus snuggled up on his lap right now in the
Great EverLasting, reading Him The Time it Never Rained) and am opposed to the new
county "public" library devoting all this space to glorifying this man ... money talks, I'm shit
outta luck ...

so anyway:
libraries ain't sacred
librarians ain't saints
Nebs is pullin' chains, and if he ain't ...who cares ?
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
Nebiros

Post by Nebiros »

Fine, I've got another Idea. How about placing a blank white sticker on the cover and writing a modified title on it?

edit: that would keep the content as it is available to the public and get rid of the annoyance. win-win.
Last edited by Nebiros on 29 Mar 2011 22:33, edited 1 time in total.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Nebiros wrote:Fine, I've got another Idea. How about placing a blank white sticker on the cover and writing a modified title on it?
Yep. That would take care of everything :roll:
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

don't let these people push you off your core values and impose their opinion on you ...

but anyway, did I miss something somewhere a long time back about you being a librarian ?

and ain't you some kinda green-card ?
what country are you actually from & where are you now ?
cause I recall it as you showing up here talking about being an observer and
some kinda UN-NWO election monitor for the '08 Federal Elections ...

(that could make a difference to this discussion - in Nebby's country, librarians might
be required to burn books ...)
ImageImage

Kojiro

Post by Kojiro »

I thought there was a regime change in Germany roughly 66 years ago.
Has not religion claimed a patent on creation for all of these millennia?
-The Tleilaxu Question,
from Muad'dib Speaks
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

TheDukester wrote: Wait ... do you even know what irony is?
I don't think he does. Catch-22 must be an absolute nightmare. If there's anything worth doing in this world, it's the systematic eradication of all recordings of the song "Can't Get No Satisfaction." It must be destroyed.

But it's difficult for me to believe that he's this fucking weird. You want to burn a book in your library because it has a double negative in the title? WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT, NEBIROS?

I think this guy is just being a twat on purpose.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

SandRider wrote:don't let these people push you off your core values and impose their opinion on you ...

but anyway, did I miss something somewhere a long time back about you being a librarian ?

and ain't you some kinda green-card ?
what country are you actually from & where are you now ?
cause I recall it as you showing up here talking about being an observer and
some kinda UN-NWO election monitor for the '08 Federal Elections ...

(that could make a difference to this discussion - in Nebby's country, librarians might
be required to burn books ...)
Indonesia, IIRC

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Nebiros wrote:Fine, I've got another Idea. How about placing a blank white sticker on the cover and writing a modified title on it?

edit: that would keep the content as it is available to the public and get rid of the annoyance. win-win.
OK, I get it: you don't want to get your wife pregnant and have another baby so you've started fucking Daddy's orangs again and have caught some kind of weird jungle rot that's eating out your brain, right?

I thought Papa Nebby warned you about that the last time he caught you and tried to pry you loose from the poor little monkey you were barebackin'. No? Didn't he tell you your pecker would drop off?

Or were you engaged in some kind of furry oral-genital or oral-anal contact with the little orange bundles o' fun?

Some people never learn.... :roll:
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Another idea would be you wedging your head out of your ass.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

TheDukester wrote:
Another idea would be you wedging your head out of your ass.
Sounds like a good job for Shoehorn on a Stick!
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

Orangutans don't got no reason to live. They are the red-headed whores of the primate world, descended from that notorious bitch Lilith, Adam's first wife. Adam didn't never get over that crazy red-headed orangutan slut, and wasn't able to truly love Eve, so he didn't give her no affection, so she fucked a snake. If she hadn't fucked that snake, it wouldn't hurt to have kids and the mosquitoes wouldn't never bite nobody.

Judas Iscariot was the red-headed offspring of James Iscariot and a fucking orangutan whore, and if it weren't for him, Jesus wouldn't have had none of them problems, and would have lived into old age and wrote instruction books about how to do miracles. Thanks to that dirty orangutan bitch, those books were never written, and nobody doesn't know how to do them miracles, and we still have lepers.

However, I do agree with you, Nebiros, know that I've thought about it more. Maybe Frank Herbert wasn't never really in love with his first wife, if he said he loved his second wife so much. I would need to read more about it. What led you to develop that interpretation?
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Whoa, hold up there, Sparky !!

you're saying Lilith had an orangetan, like what you get from them insta-tan creams that
don't never look natural ? I think maybe her skin was just that color, being a ginger & all;
but you are certainly right about Adam; he couldn't never get over her, and who could
blame him ? hell, she had four hands ....
ImageImage