Tim Powers

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

lotek

Tim Powers

Post by lotek »

I completely forgot about this author and some random search on pirates reminded me of "On stranger tides", which I really liked at the time.

I also read "The Anubis gates", and the use of romantic poets' quotes to start each chapter.

Has anyone read those two and liked them?

What about the rest of his stuff?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Powers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
EDIT: the following wiki links contain massive spoilers!

Philip K. Dick Award winner, 1983 ; Locus Fantasy Award nominee, 1984 ; BSFA nominee, 1985

Locus Fantasy and World Fantasy Awards nominee, 1988

(and alternatively a huge inspiration for whoever wrote Pirates of the Carribean...)
Spice is the worm's gonads.
lotek

Re: Tim Powers

Post by lotek »

out of curiosity here are the French edition covers

On Stranger Tides

The Anubis Gates

My editions are the ones to the left for both.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Where's the Egyptian-Pirate books? Does KJA know about this gap? :wink:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

:lol:

Yeah the hack's drawn to gaps like flies are drawn to turds...

But I really liked these books, they are not as cheesy as they look imo(well yes in a way they are but it is a fully conscious process, unlike someone we know)
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Read The Drawing of the Dark, the Battle of Vienna with beer as a main plot point. Excellent book.

I thoroughly enjoyed On Stranger Tides.

Rob
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

The Anubis Gates is one of my all time favorite books. The Drawing of the Dark is great too. Last Call is another fantastic book. I have a bunch of the Wm. Ashbless books too, including a signed copy of the Cookbook, and a signed poetry chapbook. I think a new Ashbless book is coming out soon; I've heard its "co-authored" by Blaylock and Powers.

Has anyone read Declare? I hated that slow turd.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
lotek

Post by lotek »

No I haven't read anything else by him but I really feel like going over The Anubis Gates in English, I only read it in French(same for Strange Tides)

Glad to find someone who has it on his favourite list!

I remember all those plots linking together so nicely, all that wrapped in romantic poetry from the XIXth century(is that right?)snd a bit of opium visions too...
Some really compelling story telling!
smugetsu

Post by smugetsu »

I read Expiration Date by Tim Powers when I was just starting high school. It's about a kid who accidentally inhales the last breath of Thomas Edison and gets possessed by his spirit. For some reason I don't remember, a bunch of ghost hunters start pursuing him through the streets and Edison helps him escape.

As I recall, it was really weird, but not too bad. Of course, that's what I remember of it from many years ago. Not sure what my opinion of it would be these days.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

(Poor kid. Edison was evidently a pretty nasty piece of work. :? )
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

SandChigger wrote:(Poor kid. Edison was evidently a pretty nasty piece of work. :? )
I hate Thomas Edison.
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

D Pope wrote:
SandChigger wrote:(Poor kid. Edison was evidently a pretty nasty piece of work. :? )
I hate Thomas Edison.
So did Tesla.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Nikola_Tesla" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

THANK YOU Freak!
This ain't the place for a full blown rant, I know, but I put Edison in the same catagory as KJA. Broken promises, Nobel Prize, electric chair, who's been more screwed over by history that Tesla?
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

D Pope wrote:THANK YOU Freak!
This ain't the place for a full blown rant, I know, but I put Edison in the same catagory as KJA. Broken promises, Nobel Prize, electric chair, who's been more screwed over by history that Tesla?
Dan Quayle?

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

Absolutely not!
Nikola Tesla invented the 20th century and because he wanted free energy for the world he was erased from history- worse smeared & discredited for the parts that they couldn't erase! There's not a single person in America that hasn't used a Tesla invention, very few in the world that haven't.
-Omphalos
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

D Pope wrote:who's been more screwed over by history that Tesla?
Eve.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros