Reverence for the Written Word

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

D Pope

Reverence for the Written Word

Post by D Pope »

When I was young, all books were sacred. Defacing a book earned a punishment similar to cheating or stealing.
In the 90s a guy I knew told me to encourage children to write in their books, attepmting to reduce respect for things written. I thought about this and decided against it, teaching my kids to treat their books well for thrift if not out of respect for the author. However, because of his suggestion, I learned to enjoy keeping notes in the textbooks i've bought- but never in a work of fiction.

What i'd like to know is how you guys feel about it. Are your margins full of scribbles? Do you fold your paperbacks backwards so you can hold them easily with one hand? Have you bought two copies of a book so one will be the reference? Is there a better way of teaching kids what to respect than removing reverence for the written word?
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
Serkanner
Administrator

Re: Reverence for the Written Word

Post by Serkanner »

D Pope wrote:When I was young, all books were sacred. Defacing a book earned a punishment similar to cheating or stealing.
In the 90s a guy I knew told me to encourage children to write in their books, attepmting to reduce respect for things written. I thought about this and decided against it, teaching my kids to treat their books well for thrift if not out of respect for the author. However, because of his suggestion, I learned to enjoy keeping notes in the textbooks i've bought- but never in a work of fiction.

What i'd like to know is how you guys feel about it. Are your margins full of scribbles? Do you fold your paperbacks backwards so you can hold them easily with one hand? Have you bought two copies of a book so one will be the reference? Is there a better way of teaching kids what to respect than removing reverence for the written word?
The book itself is an object ... it is the content that matters and is sacred.

Still, I do treat my books very carefully abd refrain from writing in them or bending them. Sometimes I do buy extra copies to keep one in mint condition.

The books by the hacks will one day be burned in one big pile, but it has to wait until I receive permission from the local authorities because of enviromental issues concerning pollution.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

It's a bit off topic but I spent a couple of hours calling used book stores around St. Louis last week looking for a copy of Dune. No F*n Luck! I did hear that there were plenty of McDune around...
Maybe that'd be a good thread, the ratio of Frank to KJH in your local used book stores.
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

Serkanner wrote:The books by the hacks will one day be burned in one big pile, but it has to wait until I receive permission from the local authorities because of enviromental issues concerning pollution.
Let me know when, i'll buy tickets to that party! 8)

Can I use that as a signature?
-Omphalos
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

D Pope wrote:
Serkanner wrote:The books by the hacks will one day be burned in one big pile, but it has to wait until I receive permission from the local authorities because of enviromental issues concerning pollution.
Let me know when, i'll buy tickets to that party! 8)

Can I use that as a signature?
You are most welcome.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

I write in books all of the time. Who cares what kids do with them if they own them and they're actually reading them?
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

That's exactly what i'm looking for Nekhrun! Thanks mate!
-Omphalos
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

Yeah, there are nice editions of books that you keep in good shape, but I bend the shit out of the best books I have in paperback because I read them a lot. If I really like them, I'll write in the margins.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I never write in them nor do I bend them. However, I can read a paperback with one hand without bending it.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I write in books frequently, however I never do it with really nice or signed first editions, and I never do it to a book I don't own. My own books only. Library books included.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

YES! This is what i'm asking about!
merkin muffley wrote:Yeah, there are nice editions of books that you keep in good shape, but I bend the shit out of the best books I have in paperback because I read them a lot. If I really like them, I'll write in the margins.
So basically, you look at paperbacks as disposable? (more or less) I also figure you'd agree with Nekhrun about children and books?
Freakzilla wrote:I never write in them nor do I bend them. However, I can read a paperback with one hand without bending it.
Hey! I thought print was dead! :P
Omphalos wrote:I write in books frequently, however I never do it with really nice or signed first editions, and I never do it to a book I don't own. My own books only. Library books included.
Agreed, ownership is an important part of the criteria. You're good at summerizing, is there a short sweet way to write a guideline including all these views or is it more like 'you can't legislate common sense.'
-Omphalos
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

How about, if you write in a book that's not yours then you get punched in the neck with my foot?
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Freakzilla wrote:I never write in them nor do I bend them. However, I can read a paperback with one hand without bending it.
Hey! I thought print was dead! :P
Some places don't allow access to a computer. :(
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

Nekhrun wrote:How about, if you write in a book that's not yours then you get punched in the neck with my foot?
While that may be a little harsh for some of the children, I think you've nailed it! :lol:
Freakzilla wrote:Some places don't allow access to a computer. :(
Oh crap, i'm sorry.
edit; I'm sure the day is coming when that'll no longer be true. :)
-Omphalos
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

I don't worry too much about keeping (my) paperbacks in good condition. I like to break the spine so it's easier to hold open. I don't ever feel the need to write in the margins though. If I did want to take notes, I'd use a notebook (I think I've done that once or twice). I am really careful with books that I borrow, but I'm careful with anything that someone lends me.
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

Yeah, like I said before, the only books i've written in were text books or manuals (like a part number to go with approved proceedure) not feeling a need is a good way to think about it.
I think it's very nice of you to respect others things, healthy too! I don't want Nekhruns foot in my neck. :wink:
-Omphalos
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

I wouldn't mess up a book I didn't own, though. But I'd probably take it as a good sign if a kid was reading a book with a pen, and was wearing it out by reading it (unless it was a nice edition).
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

Yeah, that would be good, it's funny though how the old training sticks. It took me along time to realize that not everything written was truth.
Thanks to everyone for your posts!
-Omphalos
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

As long as the book is not being deliberately trashed there is no problem. I have some books that I highlight in, a few get notes written in margins, my hardcovers and special editions are left untouched.

Rob
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Almost all my books are second hand - a lot of them from the 60s-70s or before, and, being British most of them are bound pretty shodily, so I don't fold them back on themselves because the chances are the pages would fall out.

Also, because they are second-hand and usually older than I am, there's a sense that I'm not the first person to read them and that I'll probably not be the last. For me that's a strong incentive not the fuck them up. :)
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

DuneFishUK wrote:Almost all my books are second hand - a lot of them from the 60s-70s or before, and, being British most of them are bound pretty shodily, so I don't fold them back on themselves because the chances are the pages would fall out.

Also, because they are second-hand and usually older than I am, there's a sense that I'm not the first person to read them and that I'll probably not be the last. For me that's a strong incentive not the fuck them up. :)
Less than ten percent of my books are "new" Odd thing is the older books are in much better shape. In fact, i've little doubt my older paperbacks are better quality than most newer hardcovers. Hell, going from a new book to an older one, I had to keep checking to see if I wasn't turning two pages at once- there's that much difference in paper thickness!
-Omphalos
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

Again i'm getting a bit off topic.
Has anyone here ever tried to return a book? The normal guidelines for goods & services should apply...anyone want to join with me in trying to return McDune for substandard workmanship or outright fraud? We could have a class action thing here.
:evil:
-Omphalos
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Nekhrun wrote:you get punched in the neck with my foot
Wouldn't that, technically, be a kick rather than a punch? :?

I generally don't write in my books, just use Post-Its. I will underline typos in red, though. (Found one in Kraken just this morning, character name "Dane" mistakenly transposed into "Dean".)

Edit: no def. art. in Miéville book title! Oops!
Last edited by SandChigger on 26 Jul 2010 21:51, edited 1 time in total.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

SandChigger wrote:
Nekhrun wrote:you get punched in the neck with my foot
Wouldn't that, technically, be a kick rather than a punch? :? )
Not the way I do it.

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Hmm... I'm hearing "Pix or..." :P

How about you demonstrate? On, um, say... Tleszer? :lol: