'Conan' painting by late Pa. artist goes for $1.5M

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

'Conan' painting by late Pa. artist goes for $1.5M

Post by Freakzilla »

Associated Press · July 23, 2010

PHILADELPHIA - A 1971 painting by fantasy artist Frank Frazetta has sold for $1.5 million, two months after the Pennsylvania artist's death.

Frazetta's managers said this week that a private collector bought "Conan the Destroyer" from a family trust. Managers Robert Pistella and Stephen Ferzoco call it the price the highest ever for a work by Frazetta.

The illustrator died in Florida in May at age 82. His iconic illustrations of Conan the Barbarian, Tarzan and other characters often graced comic books, album covers and movie posters.

In recent years, his children have fought over an estate estimated to be worth tens of millions of dollars.

The feud boiled over in December when Frank Frazetta Jr. used a backhoe to try to break into the artist's museum in the Pocono Mountains.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Re: 'Conan' painting by late Pa. artist goes for $1.5M

Post by Omphalos »

I was just talking about Franzetta at a party at my brother's house last night. That's an impressive amount of money.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
smugetsu

Post by smugetsu »

I can think of a much better way to spend $1.5M, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

And for good measure:

TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Ironic that the new Frazetta record actually comes from a re-done painting.

"Destroyer" originally featured a slightly different scene; Conan also had no weapons in hand. It's probably best-remembered as the cover to the old Conan the Buccaneer paperback, which sold like 4 billion copies:

"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.