Funny headlines

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Mandy
Cat Herder

Funny headlines

Post by Mandy »

I just saw this one, cracked me up.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6622I420100703" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tired Gay succumbs to Dix in 200 meters
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Re: Funny headlines

Post by SandChigger »

From the comments:
Wow. At the risk of being a killjoy, why is it ok to make such blatant gay jokes in an actual news headline?

Both of the athletes are black. Couldn’t you find a nice racist headline to get your point across?
Someone brought up the same point recently over in that "other Dune forum." If some of the comments made there about sexual orientation had instead been about race, the posters would have been banned immediately.
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

I didn't read any of the comments! Do you think the headline was intentional? I was hoping it was a real goof, and not a joke. I guess it's too obvious to be an honest mistake.
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I'm probably not the best person to ask, 'cause you know me, I suspect everyone of everything! :lol:
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

SandChigger wrote:I'm probably not the best person to ask, 'cause you know me, I suspect everyone of everything! :lol:
Does that include yourself and your sock-puppets?
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
lotek

Post by lotek »

SandChigger wrote:From the comments:
Wow. At the risk of being a killjoy, why is it ok to make such blatant gay jokes in an actual news headline?

Both of the athletes are black. Couldn’t you find a nice racist headline to get your point across?
Someone brought up the same point recently over in that "other Dune forum." If some of the comments made there about sexual orientation had instead been about race, the posters would have been banned immediately.
well in this case it was kind of difficult to avoid the gay joke when the geezer's name is Tyson Gay no?
Spice is the worm's gonads.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Gay Brought To Knees By Dix!

Yeah, the shit pretty much writes itself, doesn't it? :roll:

Sounds like you need to look up "geezer" again. There's only three year's difference between their ages.
lotek

Post by lotek »

well i wanted to say "that guy" but it was to close to "that gay" for comfort :)
And I might be corrected but to me geezer is just another word for bloke(hey wait I could have used bloke and none of this would have happened!)
Spice is the worm's gonads.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Oh, OK. I thought you were saying that at 27, Gay is pushing the age limit and already an "old man". (That's how I use "geezer". SandRider is an old geezer, for example. And I'm getting there. But under 30 ain't even in the running yet. :lol: )
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

We ran a short version of the AP story the other night at the newspaper. In fact, it was on a page I was doing ... and I was very careful. I think I went with something like "Dix wins 200-meter duel" or something safe like that.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

It seems intentional to me. They could've just said: "Dix Wins 200 Meter" or "Dix Defeats Defending Champion" or "Gay Finishes Just Behind Dix" and avoided any unnecessary innuendo.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."