trailer: videogame SW The Old Republic

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

cmsahe

trailer: videogame SW The Old Republic

Post by cmsahe »

I'm not into videogames nor SW anymore, and this trailer didn't impress me either, but if you are curious:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0RuR3FR ... r_embedded
Only the books written by Frank Herbert are canon.

Who We Are and What We Stand For
viewtopic.php?p=79778#p79778
----
Carlos Santillan, aka cmsahe
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: trailer: videogame SW The Old Republic

Post by Freakzilla »

Is that what the game is going to look like?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

shit can't see videos or hosted images anymore...
but usually a game trailer is a bit like a movie trailer, it shows you the best scenes in the hope to trick you into believing the rest is of the same value. In the case of games, cutscenes are usually awesome but the gameplay graphics will most likely not be the same.

Now that tendency is changing as games are getting better and better, but like in movies you get straight to DVD syfy stuff and some good quality movies that don't need to rely on cheap tricks :)
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

If the game looks like that I'll be very impressed.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

I would rather have had KOTOR 3 than an MMO.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
lotek

Post by lotek »

is it an MMO?

the trailer is really good though :)
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

lotek wrote:is it an MMO?

the trailer is really good though :)
Wikipedia wrote:Star Wars: The Old Republic (TOR) (also known as SWTOR) is an upcoming massively multiplayer online role-playing game based in the Star Wars universe
Yeah, the trailer is very pretty, its just unlikely that I'll bother with an online role-playing game. I really enjoyed KOTOR 1 & 2 and was pretty disappointed when they cancelled the third one (and replaced it with this). Oh, well.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
lotek

Post by lotek »

my job is testing an online RPG so I don't really want to play one in my spare time :)
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Is testing a game as fun as it sounds or do you simply have to repeat certain actions (e.g. opening a door) a thousand times to make sure there are no bugs?
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

I once read a six-page article discussing all the disadvantages of being a gaming tester, but since lotek is apparently a tester himself I'll let him spell it out. (It doesn't sound too fun)
lotek

Post by lotek »

yeah it's kinda tedious but it can be interesting

I do QA (Quality assurance), our first role is to test the translation; so opening the same door a thousand times is a good description, but I'd add every time with a different context to try and create as many situations as possible...

You don't really play the game, you push it to its limits to try and imitate/reproduce everything the players will think of doing.

With a MMORPG it can be quite a daunting task :)
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

I read that testing MMOS is somewhat different, and never entirely efficient because it would be impossible to test the game in its proper context (being played by thousands or millions of players at once), so the game is simply released and "tested" by the players, with patches fixing what ever people run into and complain about. Some bugs can go months or even years without being caught because the proper context for the bug to be triggered can be so specific (though this is true for non-MMOS as well).

Is that somewhat correct?
Last edited by Redstar on 18 Jun 2010 18:37, edited 2 times in total.
lotek

Post by lotek »

yeah MMOs are too complex to be tested 100% like an offline game; and also they have lifespans of years.

I am not sure how much I can say about the way we work as I signed a non disclosure agreement but you are pretty close to the mark in your assessment :)