Total votes: 17

A Thing of Eternity

Re: [Totally OT] World Cup prediction thread

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Freakzilla wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
dune stroller wrote:
SadisticCynic wrote:Re: the offside rule.

There's a billboard up around my city advertising a drink called WKD. The caption says:

The Offside Rule For Girls: If The Flag Is Up, It's Offside
There should be a new one:
The Offside Rule For Americans: If You Score, It's Offside

'Cause you've not got the attention span to watch that video. :lol:
Stephen Colbert thinks that since we have global sentiment on our side after that bad call, the time is ripe and we should invade the country that referee is from.
Hey, it must have been on the "to invade" list anyways, so why not? :wink:

That was a good episode.
I doubt it, they don't have any oil. :P
Hey, that just pushes them lower on the list! (I don't think there's anything that actually gets you off the list... other than maybe being Panama or something!)
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:Hey, that just pushes them lower on the list! (I don't think there's anything that actually gets you off the list... other than maybe being Panama or something!)
"Being Panama" certainly does *not* get you off the list. Or, at least, it didn't in 1989.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
A Thing of Eternity

Hunchback Jack wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:Hey, that just pushes them lower on the list! (I don't think there's anything that actually gets you off the list... other than maybe being Panama or something!)
"Being Panama" certainly does *not* get you off the list. Or, at least, it didn't in 1989.

HBJ
That's the joke, can't take over something you already pretty much own. :wink:
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Ah right. Sorry. I should have known there was no way you wouldn't have known about the Panama Invasion. :)

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

TheDukester wrote:There's a funny scene in Bend It Like Beckham that y'all might remember: the father moving around salt and pepper shakers to try to explain offsides to the mother, who doesn't follow soccer at all.

"So don't tell me... the offside rule is when the French mustard has to be between the teriyaki sauce and the sea salt."

Rob
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Huh? Offsides? :?

I thought that was when you wear boxers or go commando and your shy-hoo-lewd gets all crunched up and stunted... :shifty:
nampigai

Post by nampigai »

dune stroller wrote:Damn. You guys type too fast for me

nampigai wrote:when watching a team like Spain, I'm personally entertained by the brilliance of the spaniards. Look at their passings for crying out loud it's a joy! Only thing missing is Torres getting he's aim back.
Me too, Spain possibly best team in tournament, doesn't mean they'll win though. Hope they make the final. Still think Argentina, Brazil, Germany and Italy strong
contenders (Holland as outside bet). Hope I'm wrong but history's usually right in world cup.
I agree - and I don't think Spain will win it all either, Argentina looks extremely well. As for the Netherlands, I don’t really think they have the defence to go that far. Their offence and midfield are among the best though.
Do not be quick to reveal judgment. Hidden judgment is often more potent. It can guide reaction whose effects are felt only when too late to divert them.
- Bene Gesserit Advice to Postulants
Sev

Post by Sev »

The two qualifiers from Group C - the USA and England!!! - though the USA left it so, so late to grab their winner - well played to them, thoroughly deserved it, and they actually topped the group in the end.

That leaves England with a potential game against the Germans if they win later tonight - always the Germans at the World Cup!
Freakzilla - "Apparently we can only aspire to be the 13th biggest Dune fan since we are not family or in the HLP."

Byron - "Are you trying to irk me?"
A Thing of Eternity

Hunchback Jack wrote:Ah right. Sorry. I should have known there was no way you wouldn't have known about the Panama Invasion. :)

HBJ
I actually don't know even the slightest detail about it, couldn't have told you when it was even (20 years ago or 50), just that Panama is essentially a US state right now.
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

Sev wrote:The two qualifiers from Group C - the USA and England!!! - though the USA left it so, so late to grab their winner - well played to them, thoroughly deserved it, and they actually topped the group in the end.
Now that was a great game, with lots of offense.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
nampigai

Post by nampigai »

congrats yanks! what I love about the american team is their will to keep fighting to the last drop - kudos!

a funny thing by the way, you actually had the support of egypt - guess they just hate the algerians ;-)
Do not be quick to reveal judgment. Hidden judgment is often more potent. It can guide reaction whose effects are felt only when too late to divert them.
A Thing of Eternity

nampigai wrote:congrats yanks! what I love about the american team is their will to keep fighting to the last drop - kudos!

a funny thing by the way, you actually had the support of egypt - guess they just hate the algerians ;-)
Careful, they schooled me on their internal meaning for this word a while back! :lol: Apparently it only applies to half of em.

See SR, I can learn things. :D
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

...and not the better half. :wink:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

nampigai wrote:congrats yanks! what I love about the american team is their will to keep fighting to the last drop - kudos!

Careful, they schooled me on their internal meaning for this word a while back! :lol: Apparently it only applies to half of em.

Now if we want to get picky....Yanks are one thing and Yankies just refer to the coldblooded blue coats :mrgreen:
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Freak wrote:I doubt it, they don't have any oil. :P
no, no - they don't have any proven reserves ...
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
nampigai

Post by nampigai »

Freakzilla wrote:...and not the better half. :wink:
well congrats to the rest of you as well ;-)
dune stroller

Post by dune stroller »

Eyes High wrote:

Now if we want to get picky....Yanks are one thing and Yankies just refer to the coldblooded blue coats :mrgreen:
Ha! This is something I knew, we in UK can be picky about such things.
Thought US victory thoroughly deserved, not surprised at all.
Still not got that offside thing though, don't think Clinton did either. :?
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

TheDukester wrote:Image
Donovan’s late winner lifted the United States to first place in Group C with five points, topping a World Cup group for the first time since 1930.

:shock:

:flags-usa:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Sev wrote:The two qualifiers from Group C - the USA and England!!! - though the USA left it so, so late to grab their winner - well played to them, thoroughly deserved it, and they actually topped the group in the end.

That leaves England with a potential game against the Germans if they win later tonight - always the Germans at the World Cup!
Yup - England V. Germany.

Can I sell out my country for 67 pieces of silver?... yeah, probably. Go you Krauts! :)
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
nampigai

Post by nampigai »

yea well group D is actually still completely open. I think Serbia and Germany will win tonight though
dune stroller

Post by dune stroller »

nampigai wrote:yea well group D is actually still completely open. I think Serbia and Germany will win tonight though
That's where my money would go.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

DuneFishUK wrote:Can I sell out my country for 67 pieces of silver?... yeah, probably. Go you Krauts!
Oh, yeah. I've lived most of my life in the only U.S. state with legal sports wagering, and I learned very, very early**: you can cheer with your heart, but you bet with your head.

**Seriously, I was like 10 when my dad drilled this into me.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
nampigai

Post by nampigai »

dune stroller wrote:
nampigai wrote:yea well group D is actually still completely open. I think Serbia and Germany will win tonight though
germany is under pressure from ghana - Özil missed the change of a life time!
dune stroller

Post by dune stroller »

nampigai wrote:
dune stroller wrote:
germany is under pressure from ghana - Özil missed the change of a life time!
That's why I never gamble. :snooty: