12%
Other
12%

Total votes: 17

A Thing of Eternity

Re: [Totally OT] World Cup prediction thread

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Freakzilla wrote:Yeah, but I yell at my kids for saying "huh". :wink:
Why's that? It'll be harder for them when Canada covers all of this continent? (oh yeah, we're taking Mexico too when we go for it).
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:
Why's that? It'll be harder for them when Canada covers all of this continent? (oh yeah, we're taking Mexico too when we go for it).
Because it sounds stupid.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Freakzilla wrote:
Because it sounds stupid.
Ah, this is true. "Eh" is much better.
nampigai

Post by nampigai »

Switzerland won against Spain :shock:
Do not be quick to reveal judgment. Hidden judgment is often more potent. It can guide reaction whose effects are felt only when too late to divert them.
- Bene Gesserit Advice to Postulants
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

I believe the normal American thing to say in that situation would have been "huh".
in speech, probably, and it depends on how old you are I guess, but "eh?" seems to me to
be a standard writing convention .... altho, I picked up tacking on "eh?" to the end of
sentences working with a bunch of Canucks in the Middle East in the 70s ... one of the
reasons I enjoyed Bob & Doug, they reminded me of some of those guys ...

.... doughnuts and beer, eh ? ... and doughnuts .... and like, more beer ... beauty.
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Not exactly timely, but I just saw it:
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Nice!
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
dune stroller

Post by dune stroller »

Every world cup final played has featured one (and often two) of four teams - Argentina, Brazil, Germany and Italy. Draw your own conclusions.
Sev

Post by Sev »

The U.S. currently involved in the game of the tournament - 2-0 down at half time and Slovenia looking a class act - but 2 goals in the second half have turned it around, with a third U.S. goal ruled off when it looked perfectly reasonable.

What with this game, and Germany's shock defeat to Serbia earlier today, this World Cup has come alive - and England play tonight - COME ON!!
Freakzilla - "Apparently we can only aspire to be the 13th biggest Dune fan since we are not family or in the HLP."

Byron - "Are you trying to irk me?"
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

US- Slovenia, GREAT game. HORRIBLE calls. Ever since I started watching the games, I've been rooting for the US, despite the England vote. In the interests of full disclosure.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
Aquila ka-Hecate

Post by Aquila ka-Hecate »

That offside should never have been called against the US goal.

The replay footage reveals it was on-side.

Not that I'm a fan, you know, of the US team or anything... :roll:
A Thing of Eternity

Aquila ka-Hecate wrote:That offside should never have been called against the US goal.

I think that in all sports (especially hockey) coaches should be allowed 1 or 2 challanges per game of ANY call the refs make, where they can say that they think the refs are in error and have it video reviewed, just like is often with questionable goals.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Aquila ka-Hecate wrote:That offside should never have been called against the US goal.

I think that in all sports (especially hockey) coaches should be allowed 1 or 2 challanges per game of ANY call the refs make, where they can say that they think the refs are in error and have it video reviewed, just like is often with questionable goals.

They have something like that in the NFL but I think there are certain calls they can't challenge.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Freakzilla wrote:

They have something like that in the NFL but I think there are certain calls they can't challenge.
That's where I got the idea, they have that in the CFL here too. Hockey has nothing at all like that, I think it would be a really good idea.
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

In football, I have a strong feeling that idea would be misused in order to waste time.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
A Thing of Eternity

SadisticCynic wrote:In football, I have a strong feeling that idea would be misused in order to waste time.
That's why you would only give 1 or 2 chances a game.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SadisticCynic wrote:In football, I have a strong feeling that idea would be misused in order to waste time.
In the NFL the coach gets two, in the form of red flags that he throws out on the field. If he looses the challenge he gets charged a time out. The time outs become very valuable in the last two minutes so they are very careful about using them.\

(I believe all plays are subject to review from the booth after the two minute warning, though.)
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Freakzilla wrote:
In the NFL the coach gets two, in the form of red flags that he throws out on the field. If he looses the challenge he gets charged a time out. The time outs become very valuable in the last two minutes so they are very careful about using them.\

(I believe all plays are subject to review from the booth after the two minute warning, though.)
That works.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

I play a lot of "vintage" baseball (1860s rules); there's no "umpire" (there are no balls & strikes in 60s & 80s ball)
the players themselves make the call (you know if you got tagged or not) and if it's a close call, or a disagreement,
a vote is taken of the players on the field .... (or, if the sheriff feels strongly about it and pulls his leg, he
gets to make the call ...)

I like the modern baseball rules - ump says it, it's the fucking law.... don't like it ? get off the field ...

otherwise, take the human element out of the game and fuck it up like they did the College Football Bowls;
hook the players and equipment up to a computer, let the fucking computer give you the calls ...

(there you go, that's what started the Butlerian Jihad ... )
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
A Thing of Eternity

I agree that refs have to be the rule, but sometimes they make really obviously bad mistakes and cost teams games, or even championships.

A bad ref still gets to be a bad ref, but might get called on it occasionally. I don't want team usurping ref's authority, but just given a chance to ask for a 2nd opinion. I like the idea that there is a penalty for being wrong though, even a literal penalty would work (when I played lacross, a coach was allowed to ask the refs to inspect a play from the other team's stick for whether it was an approprate length - if the coach was right, the offending player got a penalty, but if the coach was wrong, someone from their team was given a penalty).
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Just don't try to tell George Brett he has too much pine tar on his bat...

~Pink Snowman
dune stroller

Post by dune stroller »

US versus Slovenia - excellent game and US can feel aggrieved not to have won. Ref didn't award for offside, he blew for
an offence committed whilst players were jostling. Looked harsh to me but in football refs decision is final and cannot
be overturned, even by presidential intervention (a few have tried). Introducing video evidence etc is a well worn debate but
FIFA extremely unlikely to implement it as it's felt it would undermine refs authority and break up the flow of the game. Football's
meant to be continuous. It's hard to take but some you win..... Controversial decisions are part of the joy of the game, these things are remembered and hotly debated for decades, long after the rest is forgotten. :violin: :lol: :Adolf:
Freakzilla wrote:Just don't try to tell George Brett he has too much pine tar on his bat...

Yep, that's what i mean. :)
Aquila ka-Hecate

Post by Aquila ka-Hecate »

dune stroller wrote:Ref didn't award for offside, he blew for
an offence committed whilst players were jostling.
Yes, thanks for that - I watched the replay of the match this morning and see what you mean. Ref did blow for something he saw in that appalling scrum.
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

SandRider wrote:I like the modern baseball rules - ump says it, it's the fucking law.... don't like it ? get off the field ...
I must say, I like it too.

In cricket, about 20 years ago or so they introduced the "third umpire", where if the two umpires on the field disagreed, a third umpire in the stands watched a video replay and made the decisive call. Even that diminished the game a little, and I was disappointed to see it introduced. Don't know if they still have it.

In cricket, the "Howzat?" yell when someone's out is called an appeal. You're appealing to the umpire for a decision. Doesn't matter if the middle stump is out of the ground and the bails are twenty feet away, if the ump doesn't raise his finger, the guy's not out. I like that idea. It's not perfect, but it's part of the game.

Edited to add: There need to be some checks and balances to prevent an umpire from being consistently biased or incompetent, but not out on the field, during a game.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Hunchback Jack wrote:Doesn't matter if the middle stump is out of the ground and the bails are twenty feet away, if the ump doesn't raise his finger, the guy's not out.
I love it when, out of the blue, you just suddenly start talking dirty in the middle of a thread... :lol: