12%
Other
12%

Total votes: 17

nampigai

Re: [Totally OT] World Cup prediction thread

Post by nampigai »

The offsides rule is also an issue
I have to explain that rule to my wife everytime as well....
Do not be quick to reveal judgment. Hidden judgment is often more potent. It can guide reaction whose effects are felt only when too late to divert them.
- Bene Gesserit Advice to Postulants
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

All I need to see of that video is that it's more than seven minutes long ...
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

TheDukester wrote:All I need to see of that video is that it's more than seven minutes long ...
Would you have watched it if it were 30 seconds?
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Maybe.

The point being that it takes more than seven minutes to explain how offsides works? That's a joke. And, again, the mentality of the generic American sports fan is just not going to be able to handle that.

Fuck's sake, I could explain twenty major aspects of football, baseball, etc., etc. in seven minutes.
Last edited by TheDukester on 22 Jun 2010 12:51, edited 1 time in total.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

TheDukester wrote:
dune stroller wrote:... eventually it'll end up being most popular in the states too.
Not a chance in hell.

People have been saying that since at least 1974, when the old NASL tried to go big-time. And, of course, the 1994 World Cup was supposed to "change everything" and establish soccer as a big-time sport here. That hasn't quite happened.

We're just not wired for it here. It's not even the low scoring that's the problem for most people (I've enjoyed plenty of 1-0 baseball games or 2-1 hockey games), although the lack of good scoring chances in any given game is an issue, I think. That 2-1 hockey game I mentioned might feature 30 shots on goal by each team; a 2-1 soccer game might have a combined total of eight or nine scoring chances.

There's other factors, too. Americans will never, ever stop laughing at all of the ridiculous diving and theatrics, so the sport has a huge perception problem here. The offsides rule is also an issue. Also, our four major team sports are very firmly entrenched; there just might not be room for a fifth.

Sorry, but it's just not going to happen here. Not that that makes it a bad sport, of course ... it's just "22 foreigners in shorts" to the vast majority of Americans.

The US doesn't seem to do well with regular/medium paced games, I'm not totally sure why. You guys like really really slow games like Baseball and Football, where you don't really have to pay much attention, and can get wasted and still follow it. It's more of a drinking session with some background entertainment than real sport IMO. Like a giant boardgame. Then you also like really stinking fast games like basketball, where even the shortest attention span is captured and held by the never ending scoring.

Hockey seems to do kinda ok, not as well, but it's on the faster end of things. Soccer does poorly because it's fast enough that you have to actually pay attention (plus you'd hate to miss the one goal of the game :roll: ) but not fast paced enough for there to be endess constant stimulation, so the most likely thing is just to change the channel.

That's my analysis, flame away! :D

(I agree the lack of good scoring chances is a bigger detriment to the game than the low scoring, that's a good point).
dune stroller

Post by dune stroller »

Freakzilla wrote:
Wow. Now I see why there's confusion. :lol:
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

There's a funny scene in Bend It Like Beckham that y'all might remember: the father moving around salt and pepper shakers to try to explain offsides to the mother, who doesn't follow soccer at all.
nampigai

Post by nampigai »

when watching a team like Spain, I'm personally entertained by the brilliance of the spaniards. Look at their passings for crying out loud it's a joy! Only thing missing is Torres getting he's aim back.
Do not be quick to reveal judgment. Hidden judgment is often more potent. It can guide reaction whose effects are felt only when too late to divert them.
- Bene Gesserit Advice to Postulants
dune stroller

Post by dune stroller »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:

(I agree the lack of good scoring chances is a bigger detriment to the game than the low scoring, that's a good point).
Pretty good. Your'e right about chances, In a world cup fear of losing is a big factor, more so than usual. At this point though it tends
to change as it's last chance saloon. In next phase it can go either way as lesser teams can shut up shop and play for a penalty shoot
out. I agree it detracts from the spectacle and is a problem, nobody likes that but it's down to negative coaching. Many teams find
success this way unfortunately ( Italy usually prime offenders). I must confess that standard of games this time has been pretty poor.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:...but not fast paced enough for there to be endess constant stimulation, so the most likely thing is just to change the channel.
I change the channel if a commercial comes on durring a show I like.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

dune stroller wrote:

Pretty good. Your'e right about chances, In a world cup fear of losing is a big factor, more so than usual. At this point though it tends
to change as it's last chance saloon. In next phase it can go either way as lesser teams can shut up shop and play for a penalty shoot
out. I agree it detracts from the spectacle and is a problem, nobody likes that but it's down to negative coaching. Many teams find
success this way unfortunately ( Italy usually prime offenders). I must confess that standard of games this time has been pretty poor.
Nice format! :?
~Pink Snowman
dune stroller

Post by dune stroller »

Damn. You guys type too fast for me

nampigai wrote:when watching a team like Spain, I'm personally entertained by the brilliance of the spaniards. Look at their passings for crying out loud it's a joy! Only thing missing is Torres getting he's aim back.
Me too, Spain possibly best team in tournament, doesn't mean they'll win though. Hope they make the final. Still think Argentina, Brazil, Germany and Italy strong
contenders (Holland as outside bet). Hope I'm wrong but history's usually right in world cup.
dune stroller

Post by dune stroller »

Freakzilla wrote:
dune stroller wrote:

Nice format! :?
I know. Problem is, teams don't care how they win ( hence cheating, play acting etc). I can afford to be a purist since Scotland ain't never going
to win, fuck, nowadays they can't even get there. Only bright side is that England will never win either and they don't even know it! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sev

Post by Sev »

dune stroller wrote:I know. Problem is, teams don't care how they win ( hence cheating, play acting etc). I can afford to be a purist since Scotland ain't never going
to win, fuck, nowadays they can't even get there. Only bright side is that England will never win either and they don't even know it! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm half-English and half-Scottish, so the English half naturally expects us to win it, while the Scottish half hates the way the English media goes totally overboard.

As a fan of football in general, hopefully the teams that play the most attractive game will go a long way - Argentina, Brazil, Spain, Portugal - all easier on the eye than England and Greece!!

And you can forget your Pele's and your Maradona's - Archie Gemmell's goal against Holland will always be the best World Cup goal of All Time.
Freakzilla - "Apparently we can only aspire to be the 13th biggest Dune fan since we are not family or in the HLP."

Byron - "Are you trying to irk me?"
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:The US doesn't seem to do well with regular/medium paced games, I'm not totally sure why. You guys like really really slow games like Baseball and Football, where you don't really have to pay much attention, and can get wasted and still follow it.
Baseball and Football are not "really really slow games". Test cricket is a really really slow game - five days for a single game. The changing condition of the pitch is a significant factor.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I think the pace of baseball and football games is due to a conspiracy between the beer and hotdog vendors. I'm sure the stadium architects have a toe in there with the number of bathroom urinals too.
~Pink Snowman
dune stroller

Post by dune stroller »

Sev wrote:
dune stroller wrote:I know. Problem is, teams don't care how they win ( hence cheating, play acting etc). I can afford to be a purist since Scotland ain't never going
I'm half-English and half-Scottish, so the English half naturally expects us to win it, while the Scottish half hates the way the English media goes totally overboard.

As a fan of football in general, hopefully the teams that play the most attractive game will go a long way - Argentina, Brazil, Spain, Portugal - all easier on the eye than England and Greece!!

And you can forget your Pele's and your Maradona's - Archie Gemmell's goal against Holland will always be the best World Cup goal of All Time.
Well said mate! Believe me, I'm no anglophobe (met a lot more Scottish wankers) but the media! :vomit:
Sympathise with your predicament but forgive me if I still cheer on Slovenia :clap:
(still think England will get through, though can't see them going much further) One day they might realise that quarters or semis is a great result and maybe start
enjoying being there. :crazy:
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Re: the offside rule.

There's a billboard up around my city advertising a drink called WKD. The caption says:

The Offside Rule For Girls: If The Flag Is Up, It's Offside
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
A Thing of Eternity

Hunchback Jack wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:The US doesn't seem to do well with regular/medium paced games, I'm not totally sure why. You guys like really really slow games like Baseball and Football, where you don't really have to pay much attention, and can get wasted and still follow it.
Baseball and Football are not "really really slow games". Test cricket is a really really slow game - five days for a single game. The changing condition of the pitch is a significant factor.

HBJ
Sorry, they are really stinking slow games, it's like watching paint dry compared to most other major sports. Test Cricket sounds much worse though (just because football and baseball are slow doesn't mean something else can't be even slower!).
dune stroller

Post by dune stroller »

Freakzilla wrote:
dune stroller wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:N. Korea got beat by Portugal like a red headed stepchild, 0-7.

Yeah, but nobodies gonna tell 'em.
It was broadcast live on TV to them. :lol:

Bloody hell, what's going on when you can't trust the BBC. :?
dune stroller

Post by dune stroller »

SadisticCynic wrote:Re: the offside rule.

There's a billboard up around my city advertising a drink called WKD. The caption says:

There should be a new one:
The Offside Rule For Americans: If You Score, It's Offside

'Cause you've not got the attention span to watch that video. :lol:
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

dune stroller wrote:

Stephen Colbert thinks that since we have global sentiment on our side after that bad call, the time is ripe and we should invade the country that referee is from.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Freakzilla wrote:
dune stroller wrote:

Stephen Colbert thinks that since we have global sentiment on our side after that bad call, the time is ripe and we should invade the country that referee is from.
Hey, it must have been on the "to invade" list anyways, so why not? :wink:

That was a good episode.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Freakzilla wrote:
dune stroller wrote:

Hey, it must have been on the "to invade" list anyways, so why not? :wink:

That was a good episode.
I doubt it, they don't have any oil. :P
~Pink Snowman