Red Dead Redemption(limited edition)

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

lotek

Red Dead Redemption(limited edition)

Post by lotek »

http://www.rockstargames.com/reddeadred ... gate/ref=/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gameplay

Red Dead Redemption gives the player a large, open world environment allowing the player to move a lot. Players on foot can walk, talk, kick chickens, shoot, kill, ride, run, hunt, interact with the environment, and combat enemies with firearms. Different breeds of horses are the main forms of transportation. Swimming is not an option, as the protagonist John Marston cannot swim - he never took lessons as a child and will drown and die if he ventures too far into the water.[7]

The open world environment does allow players to choose how they want to play. Storyline missions are for progress. Along with the main storyline, players can take part in random events they encounter as they explore the West. These include public hangings, ambushes, pleas for assistance, stranger encounters, drive-bys, and dangerous animal attacks. For example, if a group of people ride into town firing guns in the air, the player can kill them, and will receive a bonus of honour and fame. Players can also go in optional side activities ranging from standoffs, gambling, and hunting animals for pelts, meat and other various items.

Red Dead Redemption makes use of a morality system where players have the ability to gain positive or negative 'honor'. Some of the ways to gain positive honor include taking an outlaw alive instead of killing him, or saving a kidnapped innocent. Negative honor can be attained for committing crimes including killing or robbing civilians. This works along with another system, 'fame,' showing and governing how people react based on Marston's honor status.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Dead_Redemption" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I ordered a copy of the limited edition(I fell for the hype :)), it should arrive sometime this week.
This all-inclusive Limited Edition for Red Dead Redemption features the full game, The Deadly Assassin Outfit, the Golden Gun Weapon pack, the War Horse and the originally scored soundtrack from the game.
After San Andreas (GTA) I swore I'd not go for another immersive game, but then I fell(!)for Fallout 3 :)

But this game has such good reviews and man, it's Rockstar!, that I had to see for myself!

On the funny/annoying side, my housemate while cleaning wrecked the TV remote, without which you cannot access the video channels)

off topic:
If I ever meet the idiot who designed those remotes that way I'd like to tell him how much his deep thinking was appreciated!
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Re: Red Dead Redemption(limited edition)

Post by Omphalos »

I prefed Red Deer Dead. :wink:

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

lotek wrote:On the funny/annoying side, my housemate while cleaning wrecked the TV remote, without which you cannot access the video channels)

off topic:
If I ever meet the idiot who designed those remotes that way I'd like to tell him how much his deep thinking was appreciated!
I hate that shit. No appliance should have a function that can't be accessed from the front panel. My kids excel at loosing remotes, taking the batteries and losing the battery covers. It really pisses me off.

If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and that, when they have chastened him, will not hearken unto them: Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city, and unto the gate of his place; And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard. And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die: so shalt thou put evil away from among you; and all Israel shall hear, and fear. ~Deuteronomy 21:18-21
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

Omphalos wrote:I prefed Red Deer Dead. :wink:

I'm so sorry Rudolf!
lotek

Post by lotek »

Freakzilla wrote:
lotek wrote:On the funny/annoying side, my housemate while cleaning wrecked the TV remote, without which you cannot access the video channels)

off topic:
I hate that shit. No appliance should have a function that can't be accessed from the front panel. My kids excel at loosing remotes, taking the batteries and losing the battery covers. It really pisses me off.

If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and that, when they have chastened him, will not hearken unto them: Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city, and unto the gate of his place; And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard. And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die: so shalt thou put evil away from among you; and all Israel shall hear, and fear. ~Deuteronomy 21:18-21
that might be over the top but then again I've never met your kids :)
lotek

Post by lotek »

and to push the thing to its utter limits I'm getting one of those:
From Ebay so a lot cheaper than a hundred quid though!

Feel free to mock I know I deserve it :mrgreen:
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Freakzilla wrote:My kids excel at loosing remotes, taking the batteries and losing the battery covers.
Oh, yeah. I spend at least 20 minutes of every day asking my sons questions that contain the word "remote." And only one of them even talks yet.
Last edited by TheDukester on 01 Jun 2010 16:01, edited 1 time in total.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
lotek

Post by lotek »

TheDukester wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
lotek wrote:My kids excel at loosing remotes, taking the batteries and losing the battery covers.

how did I end up having kids? :lol:
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Yikes. Quote fail. I'm usually careful about those.

Fixy-fixy ...
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

I thought this said Red Deer Redemption and the wart infested hag had done something to redeem herself.

Is she still alive?
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

chanilover wrote:I thought this said Red Deer Redemption and the wart infested hag had done something to redeem herself.

Is she still alive?
Me too.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

chanilover wrote:Is she still alive?
Nah. I heard that she was suffering from a double prolapse of her rectum (second time) and uterus and that one or the other got caught in the wheels of the shopping cart she and her cats and father were living out of this spring. Very sad...

:dance: :laughing-rolling: :dance:
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

So glad I'm not on y'all's bad side (well, mostly, anyway). This is a scary group. 8)
smugetsu

Post by smugetsu »

Winded up getting Red Dead Redemption as a gift from a guy I work with...

Imagine Grand Theft Auto IV having a three-way with Fallout 3 and the movie Tombstone and you pretty much have the right idea. The open-world concept works really well, and the gameplay is pretty fun. I wouldn't say it is unique, because it borrows pretty heavily from those influences listed above...though it's the first time I can think of those things all being brought together in one place. The soundtrack is well done (for a Western, anyway) and there's a laundry list of extra things to do, such as poker, blackjack, bounty hunting, actual hunting, herb gathering (if that's your thing...) and many, many sidequests and world events.

I've been the storyline already, but it's going to take me awhile to actually COMPLETE the game. There's just so much to do.

And it definitely isn't a game for kids. It's rated M for a reason. Well, a couple of them, actually. Sex, violence, drugs and drug use, foul language, alcohol. And to top it all off, a pair of nuns gets robbed. So, yeah, M.
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Looks fantastic. Waiting for the PC port (although my PC probably doesn't have the oomph to handle it).

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
lotek

Post by lotek »

yup only a few more days to wait now!
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

PC port. What an insult to the people who made gaming gaming. The only way I'll ever own a RRD360 is if i win it in a contest or someone gifts it to me. I have a Wii and i'd actually buy a ps3 if i had enough time to put it to good use.

It sucks because this looks like an awesome game and it will be a miracle if it actually works on pc without a ton of DRM and loophole bs.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
lotek

Post by lotek »

I think the Wii is the real insult to gaming...

This trend which consists of introducing movement to gaming sucks, movement is for real life; you want to exercise go for a run, you want to kill some aliens go to your lounge ;)

:lol:

But I don't want to start a fruitless argument on which console is the best or is pc even better, just felt like stating my point of view as a gaming professional :)
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

The wii is certainly for a niche audience but I've always felt like Nintendo put more omph into making gameplay more important than flash. (They failed totally with this when they allowed anyone and their dog to publish for Wii though...)

Much better than M$ who is buying their market share and plugging substandard games as mainstream titles and then fucking them with a spoon and calling it a "PC version". No, its a semi-direct port from their lousy system that is legally forced to have all sorts of M$ bs (FUCK YOU GFWL!!!) just so people will hate the PC version and hopefully buy a console.

Sigh, you're right though, console wars can be too much of a fanboy circle jerk. now I'm off to hypocritically play some Prince of Persia:Two Thrones on my old Xbox.

Next after I beat that is Shadow of the Colossus for PS2 which is one of the most awesome games ever made.
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Ampoliros wrote:PC port. What an insult to the people who made gaming gaming. The only way I'll ever own a RRD360 is if i win it in a contest or someone gifts it to me. I have a Wii and i'd actually buy a ps3 if i had enough time to put it to good use.
Yeah. At least Rockstar makes a somewhat reasonable effort at getting the game to run well on the PC. Well, until GTA4, anyway.

Amp, the PS3 is also a Blu Ray player. I think it can do Netflix if you're into the streaming thing, too. I don't own a gaming console, but if I did, I'd probably get the PS3 just for that.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

I do a ton of streaming, but i've got my PC for that and my monitor is better than my TV. I use my Wii to stream to the TV. If I have time to actually do some console gaming I'd get the PS3. I don't care that much about blu-ray since I don't have an awesome media center.
lotek

Post by lotek »

game arrived today; i just stopped otherwise I'd still be at it tomorrow!

I think it was a good buy :)

oh and the rocking gaming chair is just perfect :mrgreen:
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Just ordered it (standard ed) (Tesco has 15% off with the right code :) )
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
lotek

Post by lotek »

hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
The scenery is breathtaking, lotsa things to do, random encounters and a game that adapts to the way you play...

really cool, the only down side(which is not really one)is that there is so much to do you wonder if there is enough time to finish it!
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

One of the first things I decided on when I got my 360 was "No time sponges". Stick to arcade style shooty shit and don't get too involved.

Ah well :P
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -