Evidence of human/Neanderthal interbreeding

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Redstar

Evidence of human/Neanderthal interbreeding

Post by Redstar »

Source
Neanderthals mated with some modern humans after all and left their imprint in the human genome, a team of biologists has reported in the first detailed analysis of the Neanderthal genetic sequence.

The biologists, led by Svante Paabo of the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology in Leipzig, Germany, have been slowly reconstructing the genome of Neanderthals, the stocky hunters that dominated Europe until 30,000 years ago, by extracting the fragments of DNA that still exist in their fossil bones. Just last year, when the biologists first announced that they had decoded the Neanderthal genome, they reported no significant evidence of interbreeding.

Scientists say they have recovered 60 percent of the genome so far and hope to complete it. By comparing that genome with those of various present day humans, the team concluded that about 1 percent to 4 percent of the genome of non-Africans today is derived from Neanderthals. But the Neanderthal DNA does not seem to have played a great role in human evolution, they said.

Experts believe that the Neanderthal genome sequence will be of extraordinary importance in understanding human evolutionary history since the two species split some 600,000 years ago.

So far, the team has identified only about 100 genes — surprisingly few — that have contributed to the evolution of modern humans since the split. The nature of the genes in humans that differ from those of Neanderthals is of particular interest because they bear on what it means to be human, or at least not Neanderthal. Some of the genes seem to be involved in cognitive function and others in bone structure.

“Seven years ago, I really thought that it would remain impossible in my lifetime to sequence the whole Neanderthal genome,” Dr. Paabo said at a news conference. But the Leipzig team’s second conclusion, that there was probably interbreeding between Neanderthals and modern humans before Europeans and Asians split, is being met with reserve by some archaeologists.

A degree of interbreeding between modern humans and Neanderthals in Europe would not be greatly surprising given that the species overlapped there from 44,000 years ago when modern humans first entered Europe to 30,000 years ago when the last Neanderthals fell extinct. Archaeologists have been debating for years whether the fossil record shows evidence of individuals with mixed features.

But the new analysis, which is based solely on genetics and statistical calculations, is more difficult to match with the archaeological record. The Leipzig scientists assert that the interbreeding did not occur in Europe but in the Middle East and at a much earlier period, some 100,000 to 60,000 years ago, before the modern human populations of Europe and East Asia split. There is much less archaeological evidence for an overlap between modern humans and Neanderthals at this time and place.

Dr. Paabo has pioneered the extraction and analysis of ancient DNA from fossil bones, overcoming daunting obstacles over the last 13 years in his pursuit of the Neanderthal genome. Perhaps the most serious is that most Neanderthal bones are extensively contaminated with modern human DNA, which is highly similar to Neanderthal DNA. The DNA he has analyzed comes from three small bones from the Vindija cave in Croatia.

“This is a fabulous achievement,” said Ian Tattersall, a paleontologist at the American Museum of Natural History in New York, referring to the draft Neanderthal genome that Dr. Paabo’s team describes in Thursday’s issue of Science.

But he and other archaeologists questioned some of the interpretations put forward by Dr. Paabo and his chief colleagues, Richard E. Green of the Leipzig institute, and David Reich of Harvard Medical School. Geneticists have been making increasingly valuable contributions to human prehistory, but their work depends heavily on complex mathematical statistics that make their arguments hard to follow. And the statistical insights, however informative, do not have the solidity of an archaeological fact.

“This is probably not the authors’ last word, and they are obviously groping to explain what they have found,” Dr. Tattersall said.

Richard Klein, a paleontologist at Stanford, said the authors’ theory of an early interbreeding episode did not seem to have taken full account of the archaeological background. “They are basically saying, ‘Here are our data, you have to accept it.’ But the little part I can judge seems to me to be problematic, so I have to worry about the rest,” he said.

In an earlier report on the Neanderthal genome, the reported DNA sequences were found by other geneticists to be extensively contaminated with human DNA. Dr. Paabo’s group has taken extra precautions but it remains to be seen how successful they have been, Dr. Klein said, especially as another group at the Leipzig institute, presumably using the same methods, has obtained results that Dr. Paabo said he could not confirm.

Dr. Paabo said that episode of human-Neanderthal breeding implied by Dr. Reich’s statistics most plausibly occurred “in the Middle East where the first modern humans appear before 100,000 years ago and there were Neanderthals until 60,000 years ago.” According to Dr. Klein, people in Africa expanded their range and reached just Israel during a warm period some 120,000 years ago. They retreated during a cold period some 80,000 years ago and were replaced by Neanderthals. It is not clear whether or not they overlapped with Neanderthals, he said.

These humans, in any case, were not fully modern and they did not expand from Africa, an episode that occurred some 30,000 years later. If there was any interbreeding, the flow of genes should have been both ways, Dr. Klein said, but Dr. Paabo’s group sees evidence for gene flow only from Neanderthals to modern humans.

The Leipzig group’s interbreeding theory would undercut the present belief that all human populations today draw from the same gene pool that existed a mere 50,000 years ago. “What we falsify here is the strong out-of-Africa hypothesis that everyone comes from the same population,” Dr. Paabo said.

In his and Dr. Reich’s view, Neanderthals interbred only with non-Africans, the people who left Africa, which would mean that non-Africans drew from a second gene pool not available to Africans.
I'd read of this theory before, so it's pretty interesting to think that there may be some evidence indicating it's true. Still, only about 100 Neanderthal genes being present in our own genome is rather small. Makes me wonder what, if any, contribution it had on our current state.

I also recall reading that some people theorized the genes for red hair came from Neanderthal-Homo sapien-interbreeding, but I have no idea about that. It was some genetic study they focused on northern Asians, such as Inuit and Native Canadians. At least interesting to see red hair diverse in as many ethnicities and races as it is.
Last edited by Redstar on 12 Aug 2010 00:52, edited 2 times in total.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Re: Signs of Neanderthals Mating With Humans

Post by SandChigger »

Saw this in a discussion thread on Amazon yesterday.

Cool. :D
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

Redstar wrote:some people theorized the genes for red hair came from Neanderthal-Homo sapien-interbreeding.
Ginger kids. I knew it.

Seriously, though, that's interesting stuff.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

There's been actual evidence of this for ages, my girl had a prof who was a proponent of the hybridization model (paraphrased the name) rather than the recent out of africa model. More evidence is cool for sure, and I think this is the first actual genetic work that's supported it.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

And here I thought this was just going to be another KJA/Becca Bashing thread!
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

OK, we can work with ya! Mmm... :think:

KJA fans have a higher percentage of Neanderthal genes? "Ung! Good Book! Ung! Yummy! Mmmmmmm!" :P
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Racists everywhere are going to love this. :evil:
lotek

Post by lotek »

Ampoliros wrote:And here I thought this was just going to be another KJA/Becca Bashing thread!
Signs of Neanderthals Mating With Humans
reading this I am surprised no one has done so yet :lol:
Spice is the worm's gonads.
MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

inhuien wrote:Racists everywhere are going to love this. :evil:
True, I'm afraid you're right here :(
WHAT IF YOU NO LONGER HEAR THE MUSIC OF LIFE?
MEMORIES ARE NOT ENOUGH UNLESS THEY CALL YOU TO NOBLE PURPOSE!
Aquila ka-Hecate

Post by Aquila ka-Hecate »

MrFlibble wrote:
True, I'm afraid you're right here :(
I would have thought so, too.
So I mentioned it to my friendly neighbourhood racist.
He didn't understand or show any interest in any of it :mrgreen:

Could have saved myself a lot of explanatory time and left him in his ignorance.
lotek

Post by lotek »

what about kayjayhaycists?
Spice is the worm's gonads.
MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

Aquila ka-Hecate wrote:He didn't understand or show any interest in any of it :mrgreen:

Could have saved myself a lot of explanatory time and left him in his ignorance.
Beware, people are known to change opinions! :shock:
lotek wrote:what about kayjayhaycists?
I guess KJA might incorporate this into his Dune lore. "Signs of Muadru mating with Humans", how's that? :roll:
WHAT IF YOU NO LONGER HEAR THE MUSIC OF LIFE?
MEMORIES ARE NOT ENOUGH UNLESS THEY CALL YOU TO NOBLE PURPOSE!
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

lotek wrote:
what about kayjayhaycists?
Hayters
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

MrFlibble wrote:I guess KJA might incorporate this into his Dune lore. "Signs of Muadru mating with Humans", how's that? :roll:
NEANDERTHALS IN SPACE!!! :angry-screaming:
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

McDune...so easy a caveman could read it. :D
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

McDune, plot holes so bad a caveman could point them out and fix them.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
A Thing of Eternity

Maybe anything but white racists, given the primary territory of neandertals it would be whities with sub-human in their genes, not anyone else (of course everywhere else had its own sub-humans to breed with presumably).

I'm using the prefix "sub" very incorrectly here of course, but I'm betting skin-heads wouldn't consider them something good to be in the bloodlines.

I'd ask our neighboorhood Jacurutu racist, but I think we scared him off in that Machine Consciousness thread. :lol: What a wimp that guy was, superior genetics MY ASS!
Aquila ka-Hecate

Post by Aquila ka-Hecate »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:
Maybe anything but white racists, given the primary territory of neandertals it would be whities with sub-human in their genes, not anyone else (of course everywhere else had its own sub-humans to breed with presumably).

I'm using the prefix "sub" very incorrectly here of course, but I'm betting skin-heads wouldn't consider them something good to be in the bloodlines.

I'd ask our neighboorhood Jacurutu racist, but I think we scared him off in that Machine Consciousness thread. :lol: What a wimp that guy was, superior genetics MY ASS!
Well, the selling-point for white supremacists I thought was that the h.sap who left Africa had access to more than one, or an expanded, gene pool - compared to the Africans left behind.
Which might, I was reasoning for the white supremacists, explain a lot about Africans.

But they don't seem to want to know.

I think it's too difficult a concept for them - that there is anything other than the White Race and all those Others.
Or maybe it's because this theory lumps the European races in with the Chines and the Middle Eastern races.

(Gods know the fact that the original Caucasians came from the region of India didn't go down so well in the white-racist corner.)
A Thing of Eternity

Aquila ka-Hecate wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:

Well, the selling-point for white supremacists I thought was that the h.sap who left Africa had access to more than one, or an expanded, gene pool - compared to the Africans left behind.
Which might, I was reasoning for the white supremacists, explain a lot about Africans.

But they don't seem to want to know.

I think it's too difficult a concept for them - that there is anything other than the White Race and all those Others.
Or maybe it's because this theory lumps the European races in with the Chines and the Middle Eastern races.

(Gods know the fact that the original Caucasians came from the region of India didn't go down so well in the white-racist corner.)
Ah, I'd always wondered what they were prattling on about about above and south saharan, I thought they were trying to say that humanity evolved twice, independantly, or split very early. I was a bit lost by their ridiculous prattling.

Hasn't genetics research already put any significant differences between "races" (what a goofy childlike distinction that one is, at what point do eastern europeans become asian or middle eastern? How much of a tan must one have? Maybe they carry around a little chart that they can hold up to your skin) to bed by now anyways?

I was thinking of starting a red-hair power group, seeing as we're obviously a distinct race.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:Maybe they carry around a little chart that they can hold up to your skin) to bed by now anyways?
Like how the cops check your window tint? :lol:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Freakzilla wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:Maybe they carry around a little chart that they can hold up to your skin) to bed by now anyways?
Like how the cops check your window tint? :lol:
Word. I'll have the same thing for hair tint and freckle sizing in my red-head power group.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

There was an wonderful documentary series on BBC2 last year called The Incredible Human Journey charting mans migration out of Africa and subsequently to all continents of the globe.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00kfqps

chanilover

Post by chanilover »

So people with ginger hair are descended from Neanderthals. Explains a lot about Scotland.
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

It certainly does, thanks for pointing it out!!
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.