fudging volcano

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

lotek

fudging volcano

Post by lotek »

I am so gutted I have not even checked how they are coping with this in Iceland or even where it happened
for now i am taking in my long awaited holiday is going to be just that, and no more...
RYANAIR EXPECTS CURRENT FLIGHT CANCELLATIONS TO CONTINUE UNTIL AT LEAST 1300HRS MONDAY 19TH APRIL

Ryanair, today (Fri 16th April) confirmed that based on current meteorological forecasts, and the continuing emission of volcanic ash into the atmosphere over Iceland, it has decided to cancel all scheduled flights to/from the UK, Ireland, Denmark, Finland, Norway, Sweden, Belgium, Holland, Northern France, Northern Germany, Poland and the Baltic States until 1300hrs on Mon 19 April. This advice is based on the current stable weather trends which continue to blow potentially dangerous volcanic ash across the British Isles, Scandinavia and the Northern European coastline.
The only good thing is I was supposed to fly back monday(I did two separate reservations)so I might get a full refund for that flight too.

So now I know where I stand let's go get some news...

:mad: :mad: :mad:
:tissue2: :tissue2: :tissue2:
Spice is the worm's gonads.
lotek

Re: fudging volcano

Post by lotek »

how evil does that look???
REYKJAVIK, Iceland – A volcano under a glacier in Iceland erupted Wednesday for the second time in less than a month, melting ice, spewing smoke and steam, closing a major road and forcing hundreds of people to flee rising floodwaters.

Authorities evacuated 800 residents from around the Eyjafjallajokull glacier as water gushed down the mountainside and rivers rose by up to 10 feet (3 meters).
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/artic ... urday.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100414/ap_ ... nd_volcano" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

inhuien

Post by inhuien »

I share your pain lotek, I really do. Is there any change of your employers being understanding and allowing you to reschedule your leave?
lotek

Post by lotek »

yeah I called and they said I could come and work on monday; which is cool as I'll just transfer that paid leave to another holiday :)
Shit happens but the trouble is it's gonna take me another month for the plane fares to be afordable, so that's quite a setback

crap my brother and his pregnant wife, my cousin's baby, my dog and an awesome tekno party in the Pyrenées...
all that down the drain, but at least I get to sit at home!

just got an xbox live account, I'll go kill myself some Locusts in a bit; that'll make me feel better!
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Naa, "Get" yourself a copy of Boarderlands for the PC. The glorious bastard child of Diablo and Fallout 1 and 2 in FPS cell-shaded niceness. Also if you're running Nvidia get their new drivers as they make a considerable difference to frames/sec.
lotek

Post by lotek »

i think my laptop might not be up to the task though...
which is why i play on xbox, i stand between casual and hardcore gamer so i need a versatile platform

plus I have a specific fondness for gears of war :)

borderlands looked like a good game though, never played fallout1 just the 3rd
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

I know my POS wont play it, thats way I've bugging the shite out of my mates. :lol:
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

lotek wrote:yeah I called and they said I could come and work on monday; which is cool as I'll just transfer that paid leave to another holiday :)
Shit happens but the trouble is it's gonna take me another month for the plane fares to be afordable, so that's quite a setback

crap my brother and his pregnant wife, my cousin's baby, my dog and an awesome tekno party in the Pyrenées...
all that down the drain, but at least I get to sit at home!

just got an xbox live account, I'll go kill myself some Locusts in a bit; that'll make me feel better!
Just grab a torque bow and all will be made right again. :)
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

That's all a bit rubbish.
lotek wrote:i think my laptop might not be up to the task though...
which is why i play on xbox, i stand between casual and hardcore gamer so i need a versatile platform
Ditto.
It is a rather excellent game. Although I still can't kill that last guy. :x

What is it like on Live? Never thought to try it online :)
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
lotek

Post by lotek »

DuneFishUK wrote:That's all a bit rubbish.
lotek wrote:i think my laptop might not be up to the task though...
Ditto.
what do you mean?
:?:
DuneFishUK wrote:
It is a rather excellent game. Although I still can't kill that last guy. :x

What is it like on Live? Never thought to try it online :)
got the last boss but even if the campaign mode is interesting I find it lacks action...
I finished (with one friend)the horde in hardcore mode(50 waves of Locusts now that is action!)
the good thing on live is being able to play horde with 5 players instead of one on split screen, it is a bit more fun as you don't have to be so careful you would be with just two.

my gamertag is deejayblitz(I share it with my housemate)
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

lotek wrote: what do you mean?
:?:
Shit laptop owners of the world unite :)

will give Gears of War a go... if I can tear myself away from Hardcore Search and destroy on MW2 and un-learn the controls :P
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
lotek

Post by lotek »

i played modern warfare a bit, still gotta get used to the concept
at least offline I find the games kinda short, maybe online would be different?

GOW is real get into hack/slash/burn/explode, gore and blood everywhere a a quite vicious AI sometimes, on Horde mode the same missed wave will never attack using the same tactics,

NB
my laptop is not so bad but I didn't get it for gaming anyway, so that's fine
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Have you seen the Ashes to Ashes teaser trailer for Gears 3?
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
lotek

Post by lotek »

you bet I have!

At first I was half expecting another of those stupid fakes but no :)

New Lanzor and double barrel shotgun hey :mrgreen:

Do you know what the alien creature(the one with the long arms)that attacks the Locusts from behind is?
Is it something from the 1st GOW or something new?

Who plays it online btw?
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

Sorry to hear about your holiday Lotek.

I was in Iceland when the bloody thing erupted! I still can't believe I'm home. I went out on the Tuesday for a meeting on the Wednesday. It was just a routine meeting so I went on my own. I was due to fly out on Thursday at 08.40 local (09.40 UK time), but the volcano erupted on the Wedesday.

All the flights were cancelled, we were all put up in hotels for the night. I was so lucky, I was put with a load of other passengers in the Hilton!

On the Friday all the news was there were no flights. I swear to God this is such unbelievable luck. I got chatting to an Aussie guy. We were going for a beer in the hotel bar when I said I'd put our bags behing the check in desk and we'd wander to the airport later that day to find out where we'd be staying that night. I overheard someone saying the ash had cleared over Scotland and there were two flights to Glasgow on a first come first served basis. I went to the bar and told Aussie guy we were leaving NOW and we ran out the hotel and grabbed a cab. Queued at the airport and got put on a waiting list, checked the luggage in, went through security still not knowing if we'd get on one of the planes, then went to the gate and told the woman we were on the standby list in case there were spare seats and she said "oh you're on the flght" I nearly kissed her!

Seriously, if I'd gone straight to the bar and didn't overhear that conversation, we would have got to airport a few hours later and not got on the planes and we'd still be stuck there! Fucking hell, 30 seconds earlier and I'd have not heard that conversation and I still be in Iceland not having a clue when I would be getting home.

So we landed in Glasgow and I then spent six hours on a train to London. Just watching the news and thinking about those poor bastards who couldn't get on the planes still stranded in Iceland not knowing how they're going to ge off the island.
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Nice one :)

That's your good luck allotment used up for a while then :P
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

He didn't just not mention Glasgow as a negative, did he? :) Seriously though, I'm very happy for you to have made it home safe and sound.

The last time Eyjafjallajökull erupted it was 1821 and the eruption lasted 2 years.
lotek

Post by lotek »

yeah same here, it makes my own problems quite trivial in comparison, but I knew I was kinda lucky I did not get stuck in France having to pay for land transportation from the south west(with a strike going on in the french railroad as we speak...)

It's just the timing is really bad, I was going to take this week end off too to go play a gig(in France again)so this doesn't look good!

Glad you could make it home, I feel bad complaining considering I am home, but if I moan it's more because it took me a while to put together all the conditions needed(money, fare price, time off work)and 3 months of quasi monacal life to save enough, so I know I'm not going back anytime before a month whatever happens with the cloud.

Does anyone know how long these things last, if such a thing is possible to extrapolate from other occurrences?
lotek

Post by lotek »

inhuien wrote:The last time Eyjafjallajökull erupted it was 1821 and the eruption lasted 2 years.
ow crap I just saw this...
that answers my last question in a manner not expected :)
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

lotek wrote:you bet I have!

At first I was half expecting another of those stupid fakes but no :)

New Lanzor and double barrel shotgun hey :mrgreen:

Do you know what the alien creature(the one with the long arms)that attacks the Locusts from behind is?
Is it something from the 1st GOW or something new?

Who plays it online btw?
New shotgun = Yay! but I wonder if its new or simply a redesign; the previous Gnasher shotgun also has two barrels I think:

As to the new Lancer, I found it difficult to make out but interestingly in the books you find that the original old Lancer had a standard bayonet and the chainsaw came later. You can see it in the front cover of Aspho Fields:

As to the big water alien thing I have no idea but notice in the vid that the Locust turn on it as well, interesting no? Makes you think of the Lambent and that giant Leviathon thing in the Hollow.

Finally, did you notice the woman fighting alongside them (I believe) is Anya Stroud, who usually works on the comm; I knew this already from Jacinto's Remnant however.

(Should I be embarrassed by how much I know about this...? :?)

Edit: I do play online at the weekend sometimes but I get a lot of lag...
lotek

Post by lotek »

nah don't be embarassed, we all have lots of "useless" information stored in our brains :)
I didn't know about the past history of the game, I only picked it up on GOW2.
I bought the 1 but I haven't had the chance to try it yet, and I really enjoy the Horde mode

I don't get any lag but I have a hard time finding people that play truly teamplay, Horde is serious business and you need to be sure someone is watching your back, but it always ends up in a free for all frenzy and that only works with the "small" Locusts

So you see you're not the only nerdy one ;)
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

chanilover wrote:...

So we landed in Glasgow and I then spent six hours on a train to London. Just watching the news and thinking about those poor bastards who couldn't get on the planes still stranded in Iceland not knowing how they're going to ge off the island.

First off, Glad you made it home my friend.

Second, and I know this will show my ignorance of traveling...but instead of people just waiting over there in the hopes that the cloud would clear enough to send people home couldn't they bring in some cruise ships and sail them to Greenland and let the people travel westward? After all, isn't the could drifting east? or let them be sailed back to ports of Europe where they could travel East by land.

I know travel by sea is slow but which would take longer...waiting for the cloud to clear enough for the planes or traveling by sea?

And dang -- after reading what I've asked, that sounds dumb even to me -- but I'm still going to post it.
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Here's a dodgy metoffice graphic showing the clouds dispersal.
The_Kat

Post by The_Kat »

Sorry to hear about everyones trouble's with the volcano.

I feel your pain as some know we were heading out on Sunday on the trip of a life time.

We have been able to rebook flights for friday, but that looks 50-50 and it is the last effort it will have to be cancelled after that.

Hope this all can get sorted soon, and that people stuck abroad are returned home asap.
Ur lack of planning, isnt my emergency
Spree4.com
lotek

Post by lotek »

yeah I know that my plight could have been worse and that I am lucky in a way, compared to what other people are experiencing, but to be honest it never made me feel any better to think there was someone in a worse situation(since that also means there is someone in a better situation)

SO same here, still hoping I'll be able to fly back on Friday, I am playing a gig, my first one in ages and it seems fate doesn't want to hear my music...