The Worst SF series ever

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

The Worst SF series ever

Post by Omphalos »

Tanz has a great discussion about this topic going on over at his new and improved blog. Check it out:

http://iansales.com/2010/03/28/the-wors ... on-series/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
lotek

Re: The Worst SF series ever

Post by lotek »

nice!!
I liked that one:
If prose should be a sleek and powerful Italian sports car, then Bova’s is a great lumbering tank powered by a million hamsters running around a million wheels.
As for the rest I'd hate to spoil it :)
Spice is the worm's gonads.
The_Kat

Post by The_Kat »

Hmm... very good read. Some issues with his inclusion of foundation, which i have recently re-read (a proposition he rejects as impossible.)

He dismisses any opposing view as wrong and their authors as illiterate and calls anyone who agrees with him literay geniuses.

He's damn right about the KJA though.
Ur lack of planning, isnt my emergency
Spree4.com
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

I could see kja now spinning this to say that he's just happy to be on any list that includes Asimov.

Anyone still slumming at DN should post this and liven the pace up a bit.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
lotek

Post by lotek »

haven't you read the news?

Dune novels is dead and we're just a bunch of boring haters :)

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2112" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

Nekhrun wrote:Anyone still slumming at DN should post this and liven the pace up a bit.
Actually this is a mighty good idea :dance:
There are many, many things wrong with these books – every single word in them, in fact.
I find this extremely well put :lol:
WHAT IF YOU NO LONGER HEAR THE MUSIC OF LIFE?
MEMORIES ARE NOT ENOUGH UNLESS THEY CALL YOU TO NOBLE PURPOSE!
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

The_Kat wrote:Hmm... very good read. Some issues with his inclusion of foundation, which i have recently re-read (a proposition he rejects as impossible.)

He dismisses any opposing view as wrong and their authors as illiterate and calls anyone who agrees with him literay geniuses.

He's damn right about the KJA though.
Tanz was never known for having soft opinions, and IMHO he's grown a bit more polarized in them since he hung out here. But he knows a lot about SF and (sometimes) thinks before he speaks.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Sandwurm88
Not Soleman

Post by Sandwurm88 »

I'd agree that Foundation is over-rated and the writing is nothing special, but it shouldn't be included with pieces of crap found on that list, like Seven Suns and Legends. Also, the Lensman series is really pulpy and cheesy, but it's significant to the genre.

Edit: I was looking at the comments; unfortunately it's mainly people saying Tanz is a idiot for saying that about Foundation...Comments sections should automatically censor out annoying assholes!!
lotek

Post by lotek »

iansales, on March 28, 2010 at 3:10 pm wrote:It’s not that the books in my list are truly madly deeply appalling, but that they’re the sf series which should not be held up as the best of the genre. Except the Legends of the Dune trilogy. They really are shit.
nice!

aelfheld, on March 29, 2010 at 5:55 pm wrote:Herbert should have stopped with Dune – the sequels drop in quality exponentially.
dunno if I should
:lol:
or
:tissue2:
or maybe
:Adolf:
Chad, on March 29, 2010 at 6:10 pm wrote:I agree completely with you on Kevin J. Anderson in general and concerning the Saga of Seven Suns and the new Dune books.

The Seven Suns was a marathon in molasses.
Ryan, on March 29, 2010 at 9:16 pm wrote:Thank you, thank you, thank you – not enough can or will ever be said about how horrid those so-called Dune books by Kevin J Anderson & Brian Herbert are.They are miserable. Painful. Disgustingly awful. The only books I’ve literally thrown across the room.
We have some OHs there too by the looks of it :)
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Sandwurm88 wrote:Comments sections should automatically censor out annoying assholes!!
:roll:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

SandChigger wrote:
Sandwurm88 wrote:Comments sections should automatically censor out annoying assholes!!
:roll:
Golly, I hope they don't roll that feature out here.
Sandwurm88
Not Soleman

Post by Sandwurm88 »

HAHAHAHAHAH GOOD ONE!!!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

That guy better watch out for ... midgets! :?
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Midgets? Forget about them. It's the Ankle Biters you need to fear...
trang

Post by trang »

hmmmmm I disagree on many counts but the list has some merit. As a balance I looked at his Best science fiction and again disagree on many counts. I have read more than my share of the books on any top SF list, and think he miss's the boat on some. He doenst have any Heinlein, Verne, Clarke, Wells, Haldemam, Niven, Silverberg, Card, Stephenson,etc. He does have a John Varley book on his best list, (sadly I havent gotton to that one, Varley is a fav of mine).

I think older series that are measured by modern sticks isnt what they were ment for. Yes they're timeless series and books like Stranger in a Strange land, Dune, Time Machine, 20k leagues under the sea, but those are another category.

Series like the Lensmen and Foundation are just that, the foundations of the genres. These series are more for the pay it forward aspect. Authors can read them and learn, many have borrowed heavily from the frameworks they set down.

That is just my opinion and when I go back for reread or even a "New" old book, I try and keep that in context of the time and place it was written.
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I liked the Foundation series. I haven't read it in a few years and of course its no Dune but it was one of my introductory series to SF so maybe I'm biased. It was grand in scale and I loved the concept.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I liked Foundation, I started with the books he wrote last though (read them in Chronological order rather than publishing order) and as such was a bit jarred by the massive drop in writing quality when I got to the originals. They were great, don't get me wrong, but they were better in concept than they were in execution, the prose just wasn't great.
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:They were great, don't get me wrong, but they were better in concept than they were in execution, the prose just wasn't great.
That's annoying - I've only listened to an old BBC radio adaptation, and I thought it was great and was looking forward to reading the proper books at some point...

(The radio version is online at: http://www.archive.org/details/IsaacAsi ... ionTrilogy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

DuneFishUK wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:They were great, don't get me wrong, but they were better in concept than they were in execution, the prose just wasn't great.
That's annoying - I've only listened to an old BBC radio adaptation, and I thought it was great and was looking forward to reading the proper books at some point...

(The radio version is online at: http://www.archive.org/details/IsaacAsi ... ionTrilogy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
Jesus, do they do a radio version of EVERYTHING? :shock:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

That BBC adaptation is an old classic. Mid-70s, I believe.

I actually own it (it's available at both iTunes and Amazon), but I haven't gotten all the way through it. I find the audio to be very muddy; headphones are almost a requirement.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.