Finally NEW SF Masterworks!!

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Sandwurm88
Not Soleman

Finally NEW SF Masterworks!!

Post by Sandwurm88 »

I am a huge science fiction novel fan, and was pleased to hear that after three years, finally Millenium is reissuing new SF Masterworks:

Inverted World - Christopher Priest
Island of Dr. Moreau- H.G. Wells

http://www.amazon.com/Inverted-World-Ma ... 0575082100" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Re: Finally NEW SF Masterworks!!

Post by Omphalos »

This is next on my reading list. The Priest book, that is.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Sandwurm88
Not Soleman

Post by Sandwurm88 »

Nice, right now I'm reading Dying Inside by Robert Silverberg. It's good so far, and kinda reminds me of VALIS by Philip K Dick except the main character is less insane. Any recommendations for the next Masterwork I should read?
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Ward Moore, Bring the Jubilee. They are all good though.

Goodnight Golden Path!
Sandwurm88
Not Soleman

Post by Sandwurm88 »

Finished Dying Inside. It was really good, but pretty depressing, especially towards the end. I'm starting Childhood's End today, and that's a classic I hear. I'll check out Bring the Jubilee, it's an alternate history of the Civil War, right? (I also hear Pavane and Man in the High Castle are good)
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

both of those books are good, but hard to read. Pavane is a fix-up and jumps around a lot. The Man in the High Castle is pretty slow. Both have fans and detractors, and not everyone likes them. But if you like altered histories, those and The Alteration by Kingsley Amis are tops in my book. But Bring the Jubilee is the best, hands down, of them all.

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING!

MitHC fan here! :D
Sandwurm88
Not Soleman

Post by Sandwurm88 »

I haven't read MitHC, but I've loved everything I've read by PKD.

Androids - completely underrated, actually really great, the only full length novel I've ever read in a single sitting, and I know I'm in the minority, but I think it's better than Blade Runner *ducks*

UBIK- The twist at the veeeery end is probably the craziest thing I've ever read in a sci-fi book. Definitely fits the cliche "Just when you thought you figured it all out" . Oh yeah, and in this book particularly, PKD is awesome at making you hate certain characters (Pat)

VALIS- Very personal and extremely depressing. It takes you inside an insane man's mind and has so much good emotional philosophizing.

Now Wait For Last Year- Crazy, weird, kinda funny. Sorta like Ubik revamped, and really good as always.

Okay, well I'm in sci-fi nerd mode, I might as well throw a few unorthodox SF heresies out there:
-The Foundation Trilogy is good, but overrated, not up there with Dune, and other really big classics.
- Left Hand of Darkness is a bit slow, IMO The Dispossessed is better as whole, some great Dune-worthy scenes .
- I found Ringworld to be slow, and a bit boring at times. I recognize that it's good as Hard SF, but its definitely overrated.
but...
- I have nothing but good things to say about: Dune, Leibowitz, 1984, Hitchhikers, Brave New World, PKD, SNOW CRASH!! and Star Maker.