Getting married

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Laphtiya

Getting married

Post by Laphtiya »

Well after 8 years with my girlfriend I am finally getting married, set the date for 22nd of January 2011. I didnt know there was so much work involved in planning a wedding, I mean yeah I knew it would be a challenge but I had no idea! At least she has sorted the dress out where as I am stuck writing out invitations, we decided after I wrote out the groomsman/bridesmaid to write out the rest of the invitations (all 65 of them) the same way, handmade parchment paper, old english calligraphy rolled up in a scroll and wax sealed.......I am about half way through been at it for 3 weeks now :crazy:

Lets see how stressed and grazy I get closer to the date :lol:
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Re: Getting married

Post by SandChigger »

Congratulations, I guess. :)

(Don't believe in the whole thing myself....)
nampigai

Post by nampigai »

Congratulations mate!

For me it was the best day of my life – the day it self will pass by in a heartbeat. The time up to wedding is stressful and a pain in the ass…well actually it’s the woman who’s the pain in the ass. I got by with a little help – drinking! It works and you’ll hardly even notice her, when she yells at you!

Ohhh also – enjoy your last days of your life as a free man with a will of your own…. The ring should be a chain!

another one bites the dust...
Do not be quick to reveal judgment. Hidden judgment is often more potent. It can guide reaction whose effects are felt only when too late to divert them.
- Bene Gesserit Advice to Postulants
Xenu

Post by Xenu »

nampigai wrote:Congratulations mate!

For me it was the best day of my life – the day it self will pass by in a heartbeat. The time up to wedding is stressful and a pain in the ass…well actually it’s the woman who’s the pain in the ass. I got by with a little help – drinking! It works and you’ll hardly even notice her, when she yells at you!

Ohhh also – enjoy your last days of your life as a free man with a will of your own…. The ring should be a chain!

I love your post because it starts out ultra-positive then at the end it's like doom and gloom!

But I guess that maybe that symbolizes marriage quite well? :lol:
Laphtiya

Post by Laphtiya »

Xenu wrote:
nampigai wrote:Congratulations mate!

I love your post because it starts out ultra-positive then at the end it's like doom and gloom!

But I guess that maybe that symbolizes marriage quite well? :lol:
I have to admit that post is fantastic as well almost like saying, the food was the best I've ever tasted if it wasnt for the piece of dog shit smacked into the middle of it :lol:
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I'm with Chig, don't plan on going that way m'self, but congrats none the less if that's your way!
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Congratulations. As a longtime married guy myself, I think I might be able to toss out some advice

1. Yes, the planning is a lot of work; just try to roll with it. Remember, Rental Boy, the Big Day itself is mostly about her, so your biggest role is just be part of the team. Also, don't be afraid to go to plan B on some things. No one's wedding turns out the exact way they see it in their heads, so don't worry too much if there's a sudden need to change flowers, seating arrangements, or other things. Amazingly, it all works out in the end.

2. Don't forget about the being married part. I'm firmly convinced that's where divorce comes from. A wedding is a single day; a marriage is for life.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Crysknife

Post by Crysknife »

Congrats man! I've been married 13 grea.......errrrrrr.......good years!

You might be able to get away with it now, but if and when you have kids, say goodbye to your friends. Though, you might as well do it right after the wedding, it'll save some time. I don't even know what friends are anymore.

Good luck!
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Congratulations Laphtiya, may all your dreams come true.

There's not a day since our wedding that I don't regret but then I married into a family of psychopaths and lairs and they're the ones I get on with. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Grats!?
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
lotek

Post by lotek »

yeah if you''re happy about it then I shall feel the same ;)

so same here, congratulations and try to enjoy it and make it a memorable day and DON'T STRESS(more than necessary)
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Sandwurm88
Not Soleman

Post by Sandwurm88 »

I am of the opinion that you shouldn't get married if you get like laid every night, like Hugh Hefner. However, if you're not getting more ass than a toilet seat( which is, lets be honest, the majority of us), than I think you should settle down. One of my teachers is like 65, and was a pimp when he was young, who screwed around with many women, and now he is bitter and unhappy that he doesn't have a wife and kids.

-Oh yeah, congratulations, dude!! Trust me, on the wedding night, it will be the thought that counts, not the time!! (Unless of course you're a sinful member of this hedonistic society and have slept with her or any other female before..shame on you!! :x :x :x :x :x . ) JK, have a good time and smoke a blunt before the ceremony for me!! It'll calm ya down!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Well, now that Team Teen is behind you! :roll:
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

TheDukester wrote:Congratulations. As a longtime married guy myself, I think I might be able to toss out some advice

1. Yes, the planning is a lot of work; just try to roll with it. Remember, Rental Boy, the Big Day itself is mostly about her, so your biggest role is just be part of the team. Also, don't be afraid to go to plan B on some things. No one's wedding turns out the exact way they see it in their heads, so don't worry too much if there's a sudden need to change flowers, seating arrangements, or other things. Amazingly, it all works out in the end.

2. Don't forget about the being married part. I'm firmly convinced that's where divorce comes from. A wedding is a single day; a marriage is for life.

Amen to that.

Congrats Laphtiya. Spiff and I have been married for 16 years and it was the best choice I've ever made when I said yes to him. If you and your girlfriend have been together for 8 years now, then I'm sure you've discovered most of each other's flaws. I think y'all will have a better chance of making it for the long run.

And like Duke said: no wedding is going to go off exactly as plan, so don't stress yourselves out. Get a schedule to help you get things planned: i.e. invitations, reception hall, music, cakes, caterers, minister, photos, etc...

The main thing is make this day about her and you. Don't let the in-laws on either side try to take control. And remember this will just be one day out of many. Yes, a day that will be special but a day that will be only a stepping stone to greater things.

Best of luck man to you and your lovely bride. :clap: :clap: :clap: :dance: :dance: :dance: :happy-cheerleaderkid: :romance-grouphug:
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
nampigai

Post by nampigai »

well written - actually my father said something similar in his speech.
Do not be quick to reveal judgment. Hidden judgment is often more potent. It can guide reaction whose effects are felt only when too late to divert them.
- Bene Gesserit Advice to Postulants
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Wurm wrote: One of my teachers is like 65, and was a pimp when he was young, who screwed around with many women, and now he is bitter and unhappy
for the record, I am not Wurm's teacher -- and I have too many kids

also, those who say grandchildren make up for the hassles of having children are sorta right ...

My first wife, the love of my life and so forth, passed away when my boys were still kinda young -
the women I married after that (mainly to help out with the kids) turned out to be completely insane -
the third woman I married later in life kinda drifted away after awhile - we're still good friends and
probably should have stayed so .... now I've got two women, one a little too old, one a little too young
who are trying to take over my life - the older one is a good person and companion, but really wants
to change things about me that can't be changed at this point .... the young one just wants my money,
but she's a hot little thing with great tits & alot of fun .... both will end up disappointed ....

I was just brought up in a time when marriage was the norm - it's not anymore, more of a financial decision,
atleast as far as the legal marriage goes (with the third woman, marriage made sense for her tax situation,
not so much for mine) - religious marriage is of course a different thing ....

watched "the Magdalene Sisters" on IFC last night - about unwed mothers & other "tramps" being incarcerated
in Catholic convents in Ireland in the 60s - kept thinking, wow, the fucking Church couldn't get away with
all this bullshit today ...

just be sure to count your water rings twice before you hand them over to her ....
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I knew my first wife for ten years before I married her. Turned out to be the worst thing that ever happened to me. Got lucky the second time around. We love each other, have a common plan, and can tolerate each other's bullshit. Love is really nothing more than long-term toleration of another person, because its really impossible to keep those happy-happy-joy-joy feelings going for 20 years. Sure; for extended periods, but not the whole time. That's just not possible.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Omphalos wrote:those happy-happy-joy-joy feelings
Ump ... urk ... ooooh ... whew! That was too close! :oops:

Dude ... you almost triggered a Susie Wong moment there! :shock:
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:
Omphalos wrote:those happy-happy-joy-joy feelings
Ump ... urk ... ooooh ... whew! That was too close! :oops:

Dude ... you almost triggered a Susie Wong moment there! :shock:
Which one was Susie Wong? One of the KJA fluffers over at Amazon? Took a lot of jabs at Asian folk, IIRC. A fucked-up self-loather who found solace in the mindless ramblings of Anderson?

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Mr. Teg

Post by Mr. Teg »

The Three Stages of Marriage

First, you "fuck" in the kitchen like rabbits.

Second, you "fuck" in the bedroon to make kids.

Third, she passes you in the hall way, "Fuck you!"

Seriously.

My 2 yen...
(married 15 years with two kids)

The word commitment spoken by the priest or others seems like another one of the ornaments of the wedding but I think Omph is talking about commitment in his post.
The following is another take on marriage and commitment.

"Maybe there is a more beautiful woman than my wife, or smarter, or richer. But I can’t think about that. I only think about how to deepen the relationship with my wife—the woman I chose. If she is the right one, or maybe even just one of many possible right ones, and I am true to my commitment, and she is to hers, we can have a beautiful life together. In that way, there is no “best” wife. Just a good wife for me, with whom I share a commitment that makes for a good life. Certainly people get divorced, or “cheat” on their spouse, or never make a commitment at all—just float around from partner to partner. This is natural, too, I guess. But my observation is that those people are unhappy—they are NOT having a good life.

People are afraid of commitments, these days. Maybe it is because there are too many choices. I am not sure. But I think that commitments are vital for a happy life. In the analogy above, can you imagine the problem of waking each morning, having to face each day, wondering if you should be married to someone else? Wondering if there is a “best” spouse out there? Where? Somewhere. Totally unmanageable."
CHOAM
Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile, Narf!
Brian, Kevin & Byron :? :cylon101: :roll: The HLP
Sandwurm88
Not Soleman

Post by Sandwurm88 »

This is a fact I found interesting: Sean Connery and his wife have been married more than twenty years, and they literally do not speak the same language. It would be pretty useful if women were mute, in fact.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Sandwurm88 wrote:It would be pretty useful if women were mute, in fact.
Spoken like a true 13-year-old delinquent, Sole Man.

Here's the minimum requirement for being allowed to critique women, though: you must have actually kissed one. On the mouth. Relatives don't count. And, yes, she has to be alive.

So you're pretty much out of luck.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
reverendmotherQ.

Post by reverendmotherQ. »

Congrats! Many wishes as your marriage begins!
Although marriage was just passed in DC for gays, i'm starting to question whether I will ever see it as a valid option for me. I have this terrible issue with women walking out on me when they actually have to work to maintain the relationship.
But thats just me. Everyone is different so I hope your new life with your wife is joyous and beautiful even when the worst strikes.
About the floating from partner to partner : I have wondered about polyamorous commitments, where all parties involved agree and understand, by consensus abandon petty jealousy, and actually end having a interesting journey towards understand how human love can be seen through this prism of partners. But anything more than three or four might be over doing it.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

you been watching too much Caprica ...
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

reverendmotherQ. wrote:Congrats! Many wishes as your marriage begins!
Although marriage was just passed in DC for gays, i'm starting to question whether I will ever see it as a valid option for me. I have this terrible issue with women walking out on me when they actually have to work to maintain the relationship.
But thats just me. Everyone is different so I hope your new life with your wife is joyous and beautiful even when the worst strikes.
About the floating from partner to partner : I have wondered about polyamorous commitments, where all parties involved agree and understand, by consensus abandon petty jealousy, and actually end having a interesting journey towards understand how human love can be seen through this prism of partners. But anything more than three or four might be over doing it.
HAHA! No chance!
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.