Game of Thrones starts filming in June

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Olympos

Game of Thrones starts filming in June

Post by Olympos »

HBO approved 10 episodes for the 2011 season, filming starts in Ireland this summer.
All rebels are closet aristocrats.

Leto Atreides II
A Thing of Eternity

Re: Game of Thrones starts filming in June

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I still have to get into this series, I love ridiculously long epic Fantasy series, and I've heard nothing but good about this guy.
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

I'm looking forward to seeing HBO's series since I've been enjoying the books. Hopefully #5, "A Dance with Dragons" releases soon.
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

I couldn't get past the fifth or sixth chapter of the first book. I was just ... bored.

Not that I'm saying that proves anything. Obviously, this is a much-loved series. It was just a big swing-and-a-miss for me.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

I know what you mean, Duke. There is a lot of description that I don't find necessary and makes things feel that much longer, and to me disjointed, but overall I find it enjoyable.

Did you get at least as far as the first or second "Bran" chapter? The story gets more interesting after that.
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Xenu

Post by Xenu »

Never heard of this 'universe' before, don't really have the time to read it since I'm still working my way through the original Dune novels but I will definitely keep my eye out for this since it sounds really interesting.

Thanks for the heads-up!
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

I've meant to read them. I'm working through the Honorverse right now and I think would make a pretty good cable series, I don't think its popular enough to make into a film series.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Its gone too far for me to get interested now. I bought the first book at a library sale, thought better of it and gave it away.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Xenu

Post by Xenu »

Ampoliros wrote:I've meant to read them. I'm working through the Honorverse right now and I think would make a pretty good cable series, I don't think its popular enough to make into a film series.
Yeah I need to get started in the Honorverse too, heard a lot of good things about it, though from reading online I'm somewhat concerned about simplifications of politics what with the bad nation(in the beginning anyway) being called "People's Republic of Haven", last thing I need is a sci-fi series in the same vein as Tom Clancy's novels that portrays the rest of the world as useless but the 'hero-nation as "[INSERTNATIONHERE] FUCK YEAH!"?

Sorry if going off-topic this is just something I've been wondering about before I buy the books.
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

It's the best fantasy series I've ever read, can't wait for the show!
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

This is that thing orald was always going on about, right?

I got all four(?) books in paperback, but they're still sitting on a shelf in the office. It's the sheer thickness of the stack of them that repels me ... in an almost anti-magnetic way. :P
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

Mandy wrote:It's the best fantasy series I've ever read, can't wait for the show!
Ditto. Definitely cut from a different cloth than most formulaic fantasy. Of course, I am a total ASoIaF fanboy, so I'm as jacked and geeked up as you can get. I TICKLED that HBO is doing this a series, by far the best format for the story. Definitely going into this with high expectations. I figure if this equals Rome in production quality and performances, then I'll be happy. Come on HBO, don't disappoint!!
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

SandChigger wrote:This is that thing orald was always going on about, right?

I got all four(?) books in paperback, but they're still sitting on a shelf in the office. It's the sheer thickness of the stack of them that repels me ... in an almost anti-magnetic way. :P
Just pick A Game of Thrones up and start reading, don't be scared!
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.