V

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Sandwurm88
Not Soleman

V

Post by Sandwurm88 »

I saw previews of this series on ABC, and am wondering whether or not to get into it. It looks a bit Childhood's End-esque. Anyone here seen it, or recommend it?
Ampoliros

Re: V

Post by Ampoliros »

V is worth watching as long as you expect for the entire series to make no sense at all. It is definitely shut-yur-brain-off sci-fi. I expect that every half-season or whatever they are doing with it will have at least 1 or 2 major retcons, if not one per episode.

I believe there was a discussion about this at T(A)U.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
lotek

Post by lotek »

I liked the original series from the 80s :)

I tried to watch the first episode but I still haven't managed to see it through...

One of the reasons being "another teen hero as bland as a fucking bar of soap that looks 25 when he's meant to be 16"
And the main hero in V was this guy
I mean I related to John Connor in T2 for ex. cause he was a kid, but ever since I was a teenager I've always hated teen angst portrayal...

As for the rest I dunno but I don't think that series needed a reboot.

Check out stuff on the original series and their author, much more interesting IMO
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

V with a BSG quality reboot would have been pretty good. V with a Network trying to make a cable/BSG style reboot is what we got. There are just too many limitations on what they can do and who they have to market it too. Ergo teen angst, the main characters are both Middle-aged hotties, and the plot doesn't require more than a commercial break attention span.

I loved the original V as well. Except for Robyn.

Morena Baccarin does a good job at looking hot and reptilian at the same time.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
lotek

Post by lotek »

Ampoliros wrote:V with a BSG quality reboot would have been pretty good. V with a Network trying to make a cable/BSG style reboot is what we got. There are just too many limitations on what they can do and who they have to market it too. Ergo teen angst, the main characters are both Middle-aged hotties, and the plot doesn't require more than a commercial break attention span.
yeah i agree the age long story of everyday people becoming resistants and heroes; freedom fighters, the critic of fascists society and the ablity of men to accept the unacceptable out of fear or renouncement... all these were universal themes once again what better bqckground than a sci fi setting(incidentally one of the reasons why i love this genre so much is that it can tell any kind of story, but that capacity of anticipation left it free to roam uncharted territory, not like stories set in times we know or can learn of) moving on...

I only watched the first episode but I got bored, and it felt like going through the Sarah Connor chronicles again... (which i liked most of the time, to my surprise)
Ampoliros wrote:I loved the original V as well. Except for Robyn.
and her reptilian baby :) I mean how cheap did it look??? All the special effects, lasers and flying ships were pretty decent for the time, but that?
(can't find the video for that)
Spice is the worm's gonads.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

I watched the two (80s) miniseries when they were re-run of SciFi, in pimperation for the new series -
as cheesy as I remembered the first time around, but kinda fun, especially the first two hours of the first one -

peeked at a few of the reruns of the spinoff/extension series - goodchrist was that bad TV ....

wasn't the original series ABC ? seemed like it had an early 80s ABC network feel to it ...
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

I watched the first episode of the new V and I hated it. Mindnumbingly awful sci-fi, terrible writing and acting.

The ship just arrives, she announces she's coming down to the surface to meet humanity, and suddenly she's flown down already cracking jokes to which everyone laughs unquestionably, no quarantine or anything. The whole world was way too quick to accept them, and the show expects me to believe that only this small resistance is onto their scheme. In reality EVERYBODY would be paranoid as fuck, not just some stupidly small resistance. And it's pathetic that the makers of the show think that by mentioning Independence Day then they can get away with ripping it off. And what's with the idiotic two kids Christian-side-hugging in their stupid youtube video, spray-painting "V's Rule" like a couple of retards? I wanted to punch both their faces. It may be the worst first-episode of anything I've ever seen.

Rant over.
"The Idahos were never ordinary people."
-Reverend Mother Superior Alma Mavis Taraza
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

:lol:

Please, rant more, more often. :)