Gentlemen Broncos

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

smugetsu

Gentlemen Broncos

Post by smugetsu »

Has anybody else heard about this movie?

It sounds like a straight-to-DVD type thing, and it comes out on the 2nd of March. Basically, the plot involves a kid who submits a sci-fi/fantasy story to a contest headed by his favorite author, who in turn steals his idea and turn it into a bestseller. From the preview, I kind of wonder if this is how KJA operates...

http://www.foxsearchlight.com/gentlemenbroncos/

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Re: Gentlemen Broncos

Post by SandChigger »

As I pointed out to Sandwurm the other day, KJA actively discourages people from sending him story ideas & manuscripts, to avoid the possibility of being accused of having stolen ideas, but there are all these compilations he's editing and contests and seminars he does... ???

Do editors return the manuscripts submitted for an omnibus volume to the publisher or authors, or are they supposed to destroy them? If the latter, what proof is there they do it?

I don't know, I just figure KJA is too busy swiping ideas from other authors (Dan Simmons seems to be a particular favorite) and the movies he watches on DVD while proofing galleys to steal from unknowns. ;)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
smugetsu

Post by smugetsu »

SandChigger wrote:I don't know, I just figure KJA is too busy swiping ideas from other authors (Dan Simmons seems to be a particular favorite) and the movies he watches on DVD while proofing galleys to steal from unknowns. ;)
Hey, if you're going to steal ideas, might as well steal from the best, right? :puke:

If you watch the trailer, there's a sequence where the author describes making character names better by adding "ainous, inous, or anus" to the end of the name. It reminded me of some of the far-fetched, made-up names (read: bullshit) that KJA throws out.
lotek

Post by lotek »

smugetsu wrote:If you watch the trailer, there's a sequence where the author describes making character names better by adding "ainous, inous, or anus" to the end of the name.
:shock: :shock:
smugetsu wrote:It reminded me of some of the far-fetched, made-up names (read: bullshit) that KJA throws out.
a profusion of KJanus related jokes to come then :)
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

This is another Dr. Ronald Chevalier gag. I don't know why everyone takes this rif so seriously. I think this is one of the Flight of the Concords guys.

http://ronaldchevalier.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
smugetsu

Post by smugetsu »

I, for one, will be checking out the movie. It seems cheesy, but done that way on purpose. I'm a huge fan of sci-fi and the like, but I enjoy the fact that someone appears to be poking fun at it.

The Dr. Ronald Chevalier character is so overblown, and looks and sounds like a pompous ass. He's modeled after other pompous authors, and, I'd like to think, KJA.

And you're right, it IS one of the guys from Flight of the Conchords.