Farthing, by Jo Walton

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Farthing, by Jo Walton

Post by Omphalos »

Jo Walton's excellent literary whodunit, Farthing is an alternate history political thriller set in post World War II England. In it a group of Conservative politicians calling themselves the "Farthing Set," crafted the "Peace with Honour" during the Blitz, thus ending the war and stopping Hitler's legions on the French side of the Channel. Hitler was allowed to retain Europe and the United Kingdom was allowed to retain its sovereignty, its Empire, its Jewry, and was given the former European colonies of Africa so that Nazi Germany could turn its attention to the Soviet Union. Nine years after the Peace members of the Farthing Set have achieved much, and advanced their political careers considerably. But now one of them, Sir James Thirkie, has been murdered, and it's Investigator Carmichael's job to figure out who killed him...Please click here, or on the book cover above, to be taken to the complete review..

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
nampigai

Re: Farthing, by Jo Walton

Post by nampigai »

It sounds interesting - have you by any chance read "Fatherland" by Robert Harris? A film has been based on it as well with Rutger Hauer.
Do not be quick to reveal judgment. Hidden judgment is often more potent. It can guide reaction whose effects are felt only when too late to divert them.
- Bene Gesserit Advice to Postulants
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

nampigai wrote:It sounds interesting - have you by any chance read "Fatherland" by Robert Harris? A film has been based on it as well with Rutger Hauer.

I read that. I love alternate history.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
nampigai

Post by nampigai »

Freakzilla wrote:
nampigai wrote:It sounds interesting - have you by any chance read "Fatherland" by Robert Harris? A film has been based on it as well with Rutger Hauer.

I read that. I love alternate history.
yea me too - one thing that bothers me with Farthing though, is that I tend to missread it. Childish but funny.

There's another one that I can't remember the name of.
Do not be quick to reveal judgment. Hidden judgment is often more potent. It can guide reaction whose effects are felt only when too late to divert them.
- Bene Gesserit Advice to Postulants
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I liked Fatherland, but was not fond of the film.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Harris is great. I've read everything I could get my hands on — I even ordered the second book in the Cicero series from England. It wasn't available in the U.S. for some reason (contract squabble? poor sales for Imperium? I don't know).
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.