that's it I'm doing it!

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

lotek

that's it I'm doing it!

Post by lotek »

For those who wonder, "it" means buying myself copies of Dune, I have them at home in France but I dunno when I'll be going back and I'm sick of postponing that reread...
At some point it never went a dy without me opening the books at random and I miss that.

Plus the fact that I'm among very knowledgeable people here :D and, well it's a change, at least in relation to Dune; my friends, as much as I love them, have never understood that interest of mine for books, especiall SciFi, and for lack of challenging reponse I slowly let go...

I face an augmentation of my commuting when the company moves to Wimbledon so I guess I'lll have time to read.

I know it's not the first time I say this, but the bid is on now, no turning back(unless outbid of course)

I actually own that specific edition, but I am a creature of habit and I like familiarity ;)

And I know I need Dune Messiah and Children of Dune, but that's the ones I have at home, I needed God and ChD so I'll just have Dune twice.
Spice is the worm's gonads.
inhuien

Re: that's it I'm doing it!

Post by inhuien »

You know, I think they're worth £5.51 of anyones money. :P
lotek

Post by lotek »

indeed they are!
inhuien wrote:You know, I think they're worth £5.51 of anyones money. :P
you found the ebay auction then I take it :)
trang

Post by trang »

its not a big deal to have more than one copy of the originals, in fact its inspiring, especially the foreign (to me) language ones. If you ever saw the movie with Mel Gibson called "conspiracy theory" I have gotten to that point myself with Dune. Every time I get near a used book I feel compelled to go in and look for FH's books (im drawn to more than just DUNE), knowing good dam well I already own all of the books in one form or the other.

Once I get my financial and personal life squared away here in few short months, would like to spend time collecting those non English versions for fun.

He'll it might even inspire me to learn some of those languages so I can read them.
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

nampigai

Post by nampigai »

@Trang - I understand your "fetish", though I must confess that I prefer the english version. I own Dune in two different editions - one of them being in Danish - and I really can't stand the translation. Even the name itself is just wrong - it's called "Klit"...
Do not be quick to reveal judgment. Hidden judgment is often more potent. It can guide reaction whose effects are felt only when too late to divert them.
- Bene Gesserit Advice to Postulants
lotek

Post by lotek »

nampigai wrote:Even the name itself is just wrong - it's called "Klit"...
:shock:
:lol:
nampigai

Post by nampigai »

I know - not that it's a bad thing or bad translation.

I hope you get the books Iotek - I have my copies lying on the bedside table, my wife moves them into the shelf from time to time, they always end up on my bed side table again though.
Do not be quick to reveal judgment. Hidden judgment is often more potent. It can guide reaction whose effects are felt only when too late to divert them.
lotek

Post by lotek »

well as I said they have been with me for such a long time, it'll be like meeting with long lost friends :mrgreen:

And if I don't get those I'm pretty confident I'll find others ;)
nampigai

Post by nampigai »

I buy all my shit @ play.com - for me it's cheap, but everything is relative (nearly everything...)
lotek

Post by lotek »

thanks I'll check it out!
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

trang wrote:Every time I get near a used book I feel compelled to go in and look for FH's books (im drawn to more than just DUNE), knowing good dam well I already own all of the books in one form or the other.
I've gotten a lot better since I bought my final FH novel... but yeah :P Times like this I know I'm in the right place :)
lotek wrote:
nampigai wrote:Even the name itself is just wrong - it's called "Klit"...
:shock:
:lol:
:wink: ... :lol:
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

DuneFishUK wrote:
trang wrote:Every time I get near a used book I feel compelled to go in and look for FH's books (im drawn to more than just DUNE), knowing good dam well I already own all of the books in one form or the other.
I've gotten a lot better since I bought my final FH novel... but yeah :P Times like this I know I'm in the right place :)
I had to force myself to stop, 1 because I'd like to still have a few of his books to read for the frist time ever one day, and also because I was spending too much money and time hunting for copies with cool covers, rare books, etc.
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Defiantly agree - I still have a few to read. Sip and savour :)
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
trang

Post by trang »

I'm looking for the Analog versions of dune and dune messiah, the easton press version (one I can afford), a solid copy of the Avalon hill box game, a first edition Dune that is reasonable (if I hit lotto getting signed one). I really dig all the arwork on all the different books. But at present I had to slow down, personal/financial/housing situation is fluid and trying to resolve all that, hope to shortly. I basically am going to work, sleep, eat, wakeup, rinse repeat. I see my son and youngest daughter every other weekend and some during week picking them up from school, etc.

Just one of the crazy periods in life, getting back to simple, ,shortly.
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Trang, here's your your 1st edition, clicky click. with a B.I.N of £45.
nampigai

Post by nampigai »

jeeesh - if I had the money I'd buy it....I just have so many expences this month. One thing though - I'd actually prefer if it wasn't in perfect mint condition - a book needs to look like it's been read over and over again. That's my opinion atleast.

I've never bought anything on ebay, how "safe" is it? I mean credit card wise.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

afaik, most transactions can be conducted through paypal.

She is a beauty, ain't she.
nampigai

Post by nampigai »

inhuien wrote:afaik, most transactions can be conducted through paypal.

She is a beauty, ain't she.

Yea - it would look nice in the bookshelf...though no one would notice but myself.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

I don't have a horse in this race, but If I hadn't just stuffed my pocket getting a new bike and cycling clobber I'd bite their hand off at that price for that nick. Do you care if visitors notice it on your bookshelf.
nampigai

Post by nampigai »

inhuien wrote:I don't have a horse in this race, but If I hadn't just stuffed my pocket getting a new bike and cycling clobber I'd bite their hand off at that price for that nick. Do you care if visitors notice it on your bookshelf.
actually I wouldn't care if noone knew the book - the satisfiction in actually owning a first edition would be enough for me.

Perhaps I should start book hunting on e-bay, I'd love some of Herberts other work as well.

*edit

holy fuck - on the american e-bay.com someone is selling it at USD 2125! Perhaps it's Brian and KJA who've found a hidden stash of first editions
lotek

Post by lotek »

won the auction for 8,50£ free postage
Dune
Heretics of Dune
God Emperor of Dune
Dune ChapterHouse

I still need Dune Messiah and Children of Dune, but the seller contacted me to offer to look for the missing tomes that he couldn't find for the auction, and I said yes, of course!

Train journeys won't be so boring now :) Well in a few days time anyway ;)
nampigai

Post by nampigai »

that's a bargain!
lotek

Post by lotek »

yeah ebay is still good for bargains if you are thorough and patient :)

(i got some monitoring speakers 3 times cheaper than the average second hand price for ex.)
lotek

Post by lotek »

good news!

the ebay guy from whom I got the books has found the missing Dune Messiah copy and sent me an email to say he was adding it free of charge!
That's really cool I think, goes to show someone who read Dune and liked it knows the value of passing on these stories
I told him(which is the absolute truth)that after reading "that Anderson guy"'s stuff I needed to remind myself what Dune was all about.

bad news!
they haven't arrived yet :roll:
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

W00t?! :)