A question for all you pedallers.

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

inhuien

A question for all you pedallers.

Post by inhuien »

Hopefully this weekend I'll be getting a new bicycle, after being off the road for a couple of years. Now my last bike got nicked, it only had 3 locks on! I'm determined that that should be the first and last bike Glasgows junkie fraternity get from me.

I've been looking at locks and chains and padlocks for about a week now and have a few in mind. I'd love some input at this point please. So if anyone has any suggestions as to bike security and if it all goes shit shaped Insurance companies as well I'd be really grateful, the best quote I've had so far is around £6.50 per calender month per £1000 of old/new cover.

Gone but not forgotten...sniff
nampigai

Re: A question for all you pedallers.

Post by nampigai »

place a small mine under the sattle?
Do not be quick to reveal judgment. Hidden judgment is often more potent. It can guide reaction whose effects are felt only when too late to divert them.
- Bene Gesserit Advice to Postulants
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Alas I'd don't has a license at buy explosives, you have no idea how many times that has made me sad.

I have been a victim of a malicious blast and will attest that it is less fun than you may think.
nampigai

Post by nampigai »

inhuien wrote:Alas I'd don't has a license at buy explosives, you have no idea how many times that has made me sad.

I have been a victim of a malicious blast and will attest that it is less fun than you may think.
I wasn't trying to be fun - rather teaching the thief a lesson about what's yours and whats mine.

You should disarm the trap when you use the bike, obviously ;-)

sorry to hear abot the blast though.
Do not be quick to reveal judgment. Hidden judgment is often more potent. It can guide reaction whose effects are felt only when too late to divert them.
- Bene Gesserit Advice to Postulants
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I'm determined that that should be the first and last bike Glasgows junkie fraternity get from me.
Unfortunately said miscreants are capable of defeating any security measure known to man. I'm from Paisley originally, although I live down south now, and as well as having the same security concerns as yourself, the white van neds would often find it hilarious to try and run me off the road. I earned a serious ding to my left tibia as proof of their mischief, the little scamps. Fun times. To be honest, these days I use a regular old twisted cable lock and simply try not to leave the damn thing unattended for extended periods. I do sometimes, but not often, leave it on campus if I bike it to work but luckily the 'poor' students can all afford nicer cycles than me, and are more likely to get nicked. :)
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

I've got a little theft chip lodged in the tube under the saddle. Dunno if it'll do any good, but if the bike is recovered they can scan it and trace you.

I just use a D Lock and a cable loop, they seem to work, although they both have some hacksaw notches and hammer dings in now (so does the bike).

Also - replace all the quick release bolts with slow release bolts.
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

DuneFishUK wrote:Also - replace all the quick release bolts with slow release bolts.
I thought about that, you can also get locking nuts for the derailleurs, brakes, headstem (teehee) and setpost/saddle. I need to budget for them though.

The lock/chain combo in thinking of the now is this and that. They should be good enough to get me started and the D-lock is approved by insurance companies.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

nampigai wrote:sorry to hear abot the blast though.
[/quote]
Thanks, It was years ago when I was growing up in Partick. There was a Turkish Kebab shop on the ground floor of the tenement I lived in. On night they thought, no they imagined, that the solution to their financial woes was rather than making good food and selling it cheaply, was to leave the gas on and split. Result, big bada boom!! The street was covered in bent scaffolding, glass and plastic tomatoes, the entire building was moved off of the load barring wall with its neighbour. The punch line was that no bodies insurance paid out as there was an ongoing Police investigation, they weren't very clever. But they did leave a lot of bad feelings, violence between the local bikers and Muslims and families made homeless and poor. God I love our Turkish cousins.
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

inhuien wrote:
DuneFishUK wrote:Also - replace all the quick release bolts with slow release bolts.
I thought about that, you can also get locking nuts for the derailleurs, brakes, headstem (teehee) and setpost/saddle. I need to budget for them though.

The lock/chain combo in thinking of the now is this and that. They should be good enough to get me started and the D-lock is approved by insurance companies.
You could just buy some threadlock - it'd mean if ever you wanted to undo them you'd need a little blow torch but... actually that idea isn't quite as good as it sounded in my head :roll: .
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

Go with a solid lock not a chain. The D-bar looked like a good choice.

Best of luck, and sorry to hear about the other bike.

We lost a total of three bikes over the years. Two of them belonged to my oldest son. At that time, that was his main way to work for a while. Luckily enough his boss at that time, when he learned that CJ had been riding a bike to work, allowed him to drive one of the company trucks home. That came in handy during the winter months.

And Inhu, WOW!. Glad you are okay now.
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Thanks Eyes, it was many years ago. An adventure at the time. :)