The NBC Late Night Debacle

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Sandwurm88
Not Soleman

The NBC Late Night Debacle

Post by Sandwurm88 »

I know this has been mentioned before, but it needs its own thread. The media is jizzing all over this situation, so, what the hell, I might as well also. What do think about: Jay Leno, Conan, Letterman, Carson Daly, Jimmy Kimmel Craig Ferguson, Fallon, and Wanda Sykes? What about the NBC late night B.S?
A Thing of Eternity

Re: The NBC Late Night Debacle

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

If any of the them were funny I'd pay attention.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Personally I find Conan and Letterman to be pretty funny. Ive always thought that Leno was an ass. Kinda hope he bites it hard when he comes back to Tonight.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

That's past my bedtime... uh, I mean I'm usually passed out or in a blackout by then.

Yeah.

:wink:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

I watch The Daily Show and Colbert Report instead.. but out of all those late night talkers I like Jimmy Kimmel the best. I never thought Conan was that funny, and Leno only occasionally, Letterman used to be funny but Paul Shaffer gets on my nerves.
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:If any of the them were funny I'd pay attention.
+1

It's like a laugh-free zone.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
smugetsu

Post by smugetsu »

I used to watch Letterman and Conan, but I agree with people that say they're usually in bed by that point in time. I just don't stay up that late anymore.

Besides which, The Daily Show and Colbert Report just kick their ass in terms of hilarity.

I haven't had TV since I moved in October...got a digital converter box over the Christmas holiday and just haven't found the motivation to plug it in. I guess TV just isn't that exciting to me anymore. At least this way I have more time to read.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

I really don't need TV, all the shows I would watch are online within 12 hours anyway.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

smugetsu wrote:I guess TV just isn't that exciting to me anymore.
Don't ever talk that way about TV again!

(He didn't mean it... :hugs TV: )
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
The_Preacher

Post by The_Preacher »

If it's really important to you, set the PVR (what you crazy Yanks call DVR, I believe) and watch commercial free at your liesure. Me, I'm a Real Time with Bill Maher kinda guy. Looking forward to the new season next month. Colbert is too self-impressed for my liking, and Stewart is too often to commit to so I catch the odd snippet.

Jay Leno is a tool, plain and simple. Ditto for NBC. It's the place where good shows go to die. I'll never forgive them to how they've historically treated Aaron Sorkin.

In conclusion, Conan's Simpsons pedigree makes him the hands down favourite. Leno can suck on my Pete Schweaties.
If Frank Herbert were alive today he'd be spinning in his grave if he could see what they've done to his legacy.

I bought the very first prequel on Amazon as soon as it was available. God! I wouldn't wipe me arse with that trash! Never again, says I. Fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.
13athroom

Post by 13athroom »

The_Preacher wrote:I'm a Real Time with Bill Maher kinda guy.
the only thing funny about bill maher is his hair.
The_Preacher

Post by The_Preacher »

13athroom wrote:the only thing funny about bill maher is his hair.
New Rule - Bill Maher's humour is too intelligent for dillitantes.
If Frank Herbert were alive today he'd be spinning in his grave if he could see what they've done to his legacy.

I bought the very first prequel on Amazon as soon as it was available. God! I wouldn't wipe me arse with that trash! Never again, says I. Fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

I love Real Time with Bill Maher, even though Bill isn't that funny himself. He's always waiting for the reaction to something he's just said.
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

The_Preacher wrote:
13athroom wrote:the only thing funny about bill maher is his hair.
New Rule - Bill Maher's humour is too intelligent for dillitantes.
dilettantes?
~Pink Snowman
13athroom

Post by 13athroom »

The_Preacher wrote:Bill Maher's humour is too intelligent for dillitantes.
i hope thats not a shitty finger.
The_Preacher

Post by The_Preacher »

a person having a superficial interest in an art or a branch of knowledge : dabbler

Mind you, as far as I'm concerned, Bugs Bunny is the pinnacle of North American humour.

smugetsu

Post by smugetsu »

The_Preacher wrote:Mind you, as far as I'm concerned, Bugs Bunny is the pinnacle of North American humour.
No way man- Road Runner and Wyle E. Coyote.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

The_Preacher wrote:a person having a superficial interest in an art or a branch of knowledge : dabbler

Mind you, as far as I'm concerned, Bugs Bunny is the pinnacle of North American humour.
Bugs Bunny is my hero.
~Pink Snowman
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

Bugs, Wyle E Coyate, Road Runner, Elmer Fudge. Marvin the Martian, The one whose name I just forgot.... Sam something, Sylvester and Tweety, Sniffles the Mouse, and going waaaay back....Gramps from the Betty Boop cartoons.

And Connan had some good guests, but he himself....nah.

Edit to add: Yosamitee Sam, that's the name. :mrgreen:

and of course, Porky Pig. Bring on the old cartoons for the best laughs
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
The_Preacher

Post by The_Preacher »

smugetsu wrote:No way man- Road Runner and Wyle E. Coyote.
Never did have much use for Road Runner, or Tweey Bird, for that matter. Especially Tweety Bird. Smug little piss ant.

Wile E., on the other hand, was a bloody laugh riot! Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius. I like the way that sounds.

So you've got Bugs and Daffy, the perfect comedic foil, Fog, I say, Foghorn Leghorn and Wile E. Coyote. High-larious!

Oh, and the "Sam" another poster was looking for is Yosemite Sam, the roughest, toughest, rootin' tootin'-est hombre west of the Pecos.

Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

MY BISCUITS ARE BURNIN'!
~Pink Snowman
Sandwurm88
Not Soleman

Post by Sandwurm88 »

I think that Leno is decent, and of course Colbert is hilarious, but I don't get to see his show enough. And as for the funniness of these late night hosts, I mean, these guys are out there every weeknight with new material... come on, they're at least decent. And band leaders aren't supposed to be funny. They are supposed to be good at playing their instrument.

To the Preacher- Hey Canadian stereotype, what are you going to do when the U.S gets tired of your shit? Throw cheap pills at us? Yeah, that's right. And the fact that you're telling NBC to suck your "Pete Schweaties" is ironic because that term is from a SNL live skit from awhile ago with Alec Baldwin. By the way, SNL is on NBC. Was that a clever reference, or has the free "healthcare" that they make you wait five months to get a broken arm set gone to your head??

(Sorry, others, I can't stand snobby Canadians)
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Sandwurm88 wrote:...or has the free "healthcare" that they make you wait five months to get a broken arm set gone to your head??
It's more likely the cheap drugs. :wink:
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Sandwurm88 wrote: To the Preacher- Hey Canadian stereotype, what are you going to do when the U.S gets tired of your shit? Throw cheap pills at us? Yeah, that's right. And the fact that you're telling NBC to suck your "Pete Schweaties" is ironic because that term is from a SNL live skit from awhile ago with Alec Baldwin. By the way, SNL is on NBC. Was that a clever reference, or has the free "healthcare" that they make you wait five months to get a broken arm set gone to your head??

(Sorry, others, I can't stand snobby Canadians)
Kid, you have no idea what you're talking about, everything you've heard about our healthcare system is a lie. Everything. It isn't free, and we don't have those so-called waiting lists for important stuff like getting your broken arm set (takes 30 minutes at whatever doctor you want and costs you 20$ unless you have extra private insurance, in which case it may be free).

Being a snobby American might not be the best reaction to a snobby Canadian. Snobs are jackasses, regardless of where they're from.

Don't get me started, I'm not in the mood to deal with children right now.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Sandwurm88 wrote:(Sorry, others, I can't stand snobby Canadians)
You're embarrassing yourself.

Step away from the keyboard. Perhaps for three or four years.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.