Dante's Inferno: The Official Novelization Of The Book

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Redstar

Post by Redstar »

While not exactly "a novelization of a media based off an actual novel", as rumored KJA will most likely do, there is a game loosely inspired by Dante's Inferno coming out soon. What they've done is re-released the book, but with cover art reminiscent of the game, and including a foreward from the game's executive producer as well as design artwork. The book itself is exactly the same, but being pushed as something completely different.

Penny Arcade also made a comic mocking/applauding this approach, if anyone's interested in awesome Moby Dick: A Trend We Wholly Endorse
Tleszer

Re: Dante's Inferno: The Official Novelization Of The Book

Post by Tleszer »

With a cover like that, I'd definitely read that novelization of Moby Dick, unless it was written by tehKJAcket Anderhack.
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Something about books and covers.

My copy of Dune is the 1984 movie tie in, my Planet of the Apes has a picture from 2001 movie on the front and my Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep has BLADE RUNNER written on the cover in big red letters.

As long as they ain't Jackethacked, who cares? :)
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

DuneFishUK wrote:Something about books and covers.

My copy of Dune is the 1984 movie tie in, my Planet of the Apes has a picture from 2001 movie on the front and my Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep has BLADE RUNNER written on the cover in big red letters.

As long as they ain't Jackethacked, who cares? :)
Right. I got the Battlefield Earth with the big buff guy shooting in opposite directions at once while giant aliens creep up on him. I wonder if that's so much better than the Travolta cover?
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Anyone who would buy that book because they liked the movie deserves to be shot :P

Not read the book yet, but that film is a steaming pile of bum poo.
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
smugetsu

Post by smugetsu »

I would consider myself fairly literate (at least able to read) and I'm also a hardcore video gamer, but I'm not really sure that Dante's Inferno would appeal to your average, high-school/college age video game player. It isn't a particularly difficult read, but there's a lot of cultural differences and references that require a lot of thumbing through footnotes and the like. I can't really see the "I want it now!" generation putting forth that much effort.

But yes, since it isn't by the Hack (a fact he's probably, hopefully kicking himself over) then I suppose it has my blessing. If it inspires the kids to delve into classics they otherwise wouldn't, then I guess that's a good thing.

Moby Dick was fascinating until it began to break down the biology of every species of whale. I just couldn't take it anymore.
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

DuneFishUK wrote:Anyone who would buy that book because they liked the movie deserves to be shot :P

Not read the book yet, but that film is a steaming pile of bum poo.
The book really isn't that much better. The entire thing is racist, sexist, bloated, and author-avatar... But it's a guilty pleasure of mine just so I can see how quickly it takes me to get through the thousand pages. It's just the best/worst of space opera you can get.
smugetsu wrote:Moby Dick was fascinating until it began to break down the biology of every species of whale. I just couldn't take it anymore.
It gets better after that.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

smugetsu wrote:Moby Dick was fascinating until it began to break down the biology of every species of whale. I just couldn't take it anymore.
This was the only case I can remember from college where the professor just said, "Skip those parts." They really are just a blow-by-blow description of goddamn whales.

(Just be contrary ... I read those parts on my own time. I'm such a damn rebel).
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

20,000 leagues under the sea is even worse if you don't care about minute details about ocean species.

Moby Dick is still an awesome read, I love that book. Poor Starbuck. I imagine Shepard Smith feels a lot like Starbuck.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus