70 Minute Video Review of Star Wars: The Phantom Menace

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

The_Preacher

70 Minute Video Review of Star Wars: The Phantom Menace

Post by The_Preacher »

I figure we're all sci-fi fans in here to varying degrees so this seems like an appropriate spot to post this: http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/12/17/wat ... om-menace/

This guy does a brilliant job of dissecting exactly why the prequel was terrible and he didn't even delve into the debacle that was the Jar-Jar Binks character. I like the direct comparisons to the original Star Wars movie, juxtaposing the great character-building and story-telling of the first film against the deplorable debauchery of the same elements in The Phantom Menace.

I could definitely do without the odd disturbing element of the review (you'll know when you see it) but they were rare and early on so I didn't find them distracting enough to make me stop watching.

Perhaps my favourite part was reading the posted comments after watching it. I came across this little gem, a response to the rare someone who didn't like the 70 minute review. I laughed so hard I shot milk out of my nose. Methinks it aptly descirbes many Jacurutu's members feelings about HLP and Anderson:
Haha Bob, congrats, you are the worst person on the internet. Moron. Get cancer.
If Frank Herbert were alive today he'd be spinning in his grave if he could see what they've done to his legacy.

I bought the very first prequel on Amazon as soon as it was available. God! I wouldn't wipe me arse with that trash! Never again, says I. Fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.
inhuien

Re: 70 Minute Video Review of Star Wars: The Phantom Menace

Post by inhuien »

Thanks for that, I'll try and watch it tomorrow.
lotek

Post by lotek »

the phantom menace sucked!
even if you go with the postulate it was for kids doesn't fucking work; dumbing down again...

Did kja write the script?
Spice is the worm's gonads.
13athroom

Post by 13athroom »

wow. this 70 minute review of a not-so-good decade old star wars movie was actually a great way to waste 70 minutes!
lotek

Post by lotek »

I liked young Lucas saying special effects were only the means to a story opposed to old Lucas ranting about quite the contrary...

massive fail for old Lucas then, I think we have proof now :mrgreen:
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I love his son's t-shirt in the mug shot.

:clap:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Oh God, their breaking down the door!

That was fantastic.
trang

Post by trang »

Finally finished watching last night. Says it pretty well why the three CGI episodes just plan suck. Story, acting, effects/CGI overload, lucas basically lost and out of touch.

Thanks for the pointer to the review, great stuff. :clap:
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

Redstar

Post by Redstar »

It was funny, but I prefer this older review of every film in the series, even the original trilogy: X Reason to Hate Star Wars. It covers many of the things the video-reviewer did, and much more.
lotek

Post by lotek »

Redstar wrote:It was funny, but I prefer this older review of every film in the series, even the original trilogy: X Reason to Hate Star Wars. It covers many of the things the video-reviewer did, and much more.

checking it out now thanks :)

it's always good to find someone else transform that mind scream that races through your mind when watching those shit movies... and turn itinto something that makes more sense than just
"Oh my god no!!!But why oh why AAAAArgggg no but that makes no sense and... but please stop owwww nooo not the funny droids and the stupid jedi master and make it stop" and so on :)
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Anyone else see George Lucas on The Daily Show last night?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

I'm watching it now

The Stream link for non us residents
EDIT: not the right one and I can't access the other streams since the're only available in the US
(if someone finds it let me know thx)
Last night, George Lucas appeared on the Daily Show with Jon Stewart to promote his new book “George Lucas’ Blockbusting.” However, as would be expected, the focus on the conversation wasn’t on his new book, but immediately centered on the Star Wars franchise. Every single Star Wars fan should check this video out. I’m a huge, HUGE fan of Stewart as both a comedian and as a journalist. He pretty much always speaks his mind and asks the questions that need to be asked. In this case he just goes for it and asks the questions that fans often wonder about when it comes to Lucas, such as-and I’m paraphrasing a bit-how does it feel to piss off a whole generation of fans and do you still believe you’re as creative as you used to be? The latter one I found especially brilliant and ballsy. Granted, he said it in a nicer way, but the implication of “Hey, what the heck happened in the new movies as opposed to the old ones,” was still there.

But even better than Stewart’s questions were Lucas’ answers. Lucas still insists that people love Jar Jar Binks, one of the most repulsively idiotic characters in the history of cinema. Either Lucas’ pride is pretty out of control and he’ll never admit to the awfulness of the new trilogy or he’s a tad delusional. Either one is likely. [Matt's note: It's also likely that Lucas inhabits a world where no one challenges him and only strokes his ego]
lotek

Post by lotek »

Got it
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

^^^ Wow!!! Four and a half minutes of platitudes and nonsense, I never seen that coming. :/

tanxs 4 teh link lotek:)
Harq al Ada

Post by Harq al Ada »

he created the IDEA for the new book...
:lol: :lol: :lol:

kids loved ep 1-3? really? they also like Chef Boyardee.

and then he says that every age group likes the clone wars. what an ass. he needs to not write or direct.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
lotek

Post by lotek »

seen that huh?

"life is duality"
a cop out and a very poor one if I ever heard one!

Is it me or is he having that hackishly smug look on his face?

"it's a work of fictiontakes the teaching retards facts of life voice"
leading to
"if you don't like it don't watch it"

Preeq argument anyone???

I'm seeing the hack's influence everywhere like a true conspirationnist, nice :)

nb:
J'HackAss did write some scifi YA shite didn't he?
It looks like he managed to convert someone else to the path of least resistance/thinking :mrgreen:
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Writers are still trying to fix the shit he wrote in SW books, from what I understand.
~Pink Snowman
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Lucas is a great example of what happens when you surround yourself with yes-men and sycophants. He has not taken a risk since 1980 (releasing Empire with his own money) and has not allowed himself to be challenged, by anyone or anything, in the 30 years since then. It's been 30 years of "Yes, George!" and "Whatever you say, George!" It's not a great recipe for creativity or growing as an artist.

You know who else uses yes-men as a barrier between himself and the world? Kevin J. Anderson. It's a much smaller scale, but he still does it, beginning with Becky and extending to his practice of only interacting online with ass-kissing fanboys who tell him how awesome he is.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
lotek

Post by lotek »

lotek wrote:I'm seeing the hack's influence everywhere like a true conspirationnist, nice :)
TheDukester wrote:You know who else uses yes-men as a barrier between himself and the world? Kevin J. Anderson. It's a much smaller scale, but he still does it, beginning with Becky and extending to his practice of only interacting online with ass-kissing fanboys who tell him how awesome he is.
well it's good to see I ain't the only one :lol:
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I never thought I'd find much use of this quote but here it is again...

"If you put away those who report accurately, you'll keep only those who
know what you want to hear," Jessica said, her voice sweet. "I can think of
nothing more poisonous than to rot in the stink of your own reflections."

~CoD
~Pink Snowman
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

TheDukester wrote:Lucas is a great example of what happens when you surround yourself with yes-men and sycophants. He has not taken a risk since 1980 (releasing Empire with his own money) and has not allowed himself to be challenged, by anyone or anything, in the 30 years since then. It's been 30 years of "Yes, George!" and "Whatever you say, George!" It's not a great recipe for creativity or growing as an artist.

You know who else uses yes-men as a barrier between himself and the world? Kevin J. Anderson. It's a much smaller scale, but he still does it, beginning with Becky and extending to his practice of only interacting online with ass-kissing fanboys who tell him how awesome he is.
so is that the answer to the "mystery of TehKJA" ?
he wants to be George Lucas, or thinks he is George Lucas,
or thinks he should be George Lucas, or some silly shit like that ?

Star Wars envy ?
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Harq al Ada

Post by Harq al Ada »

SandRider wrote:
TheDukester wrote: Star Wars envy ?
prequel envy
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Harq al Ada wrote:
SandRider wrote:
TheDukester wrote: Star Wars envy ?
prequel envy
:lol:
~Pink Snowman