Guts, Chuck Palahniuk

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Redstar

Guts, Chuck Palahniuk

Post by Redstar »

**Warning: This story is not safe for work, and will wrench your guts**

http://chuckpalahniuk.net/features/shorts/guts

Just read this story. The subject is... very uncomfortable, but is it strange I kept recognizing how well-written it was? I was aware Palahniuk was good after reading Survivor, but short works always give the best on a writer's skill.
Lundse

Re: Guts, Chuck Palahniuk

Post by Lundse »

I did not enjoy that!

And besides a nice build up (and wrap-up at the end, so to speak), I didn't notice how well-written it was. But he must be doing something right, because I almost threw up in my mouth and my stomach feels knotted.
Amazing, how words on a screen can affect you. Sort of like Voice, but with Text instead - if Chuck Palahniuk is half as good at reading aloud, as he is writing, I believe he could make grown men vomit on command.
Sandwurm88
Not Soleman

Post by Sandwurm88 »

I have a friend whose favorite author is Chuck Palahniuk. I read the one were the entire story is they're waiting in line to fuck this girl in what will be like the most number of people to one-after-the-other do a girl. It was pretty interesting, actually, but reading this story, I believe that Palahniuk relies too much on blood, gore, and "milky pearls of sperm" described ad infitinum in his oeuvre.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I don't see what was well written about it. Not poorly written, but it had pretty much the same tone and skill level as any half decent newspaper article writer, it was just like reading the paper.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I didn't read half of it. It was distastefull. I dn't think it really has any place here.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Redstar wrote:... but is it strange I kept recognizing how well-written it was?
My ass. Pretentious nonsense is all I saw. I want the 90 seconds I invested in that returned, please.

That guy might have just peaked with Fight Club ... and that was 13 years ago.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Ah, that's who he is, why the name looks familiar. Haven't read it, just seen the movie.

Um ... this, no. Didn't finish, skimmed after the kid with the Navy brother, stopped when I saw what was coming in the pool.

Nope, no thanks. :)
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

I read that a couple years ago, and I'm never going to read that again. Too gross, and I don't like to have that stuck in my head.
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

:? I'm a little unnerved that this shocked lots of people yet had little effect on me...
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

Lundse wrote:Amazing, how words on a screen can affect you. Sort of like Voice, but with Text instead - if Chuck Palahniuk is half as good at reading aloud, as he is writing, I believe he could make grown men vomit on command.
Apparently over 60 people have fainted during his readings of this story.
TheDukester wrote:
Redstar wrote:... but is it strange I kept recognizing how well-written it was?
My ass. Pretentious nonsense is all I saw. I want the 90 seconds I invested in that returned, please.
To you and others, I'm not saying it's the best thing I've ever read... Nor is he anywhere close to being one of the top writers, but there were a few things he did that I noticed. Mostly the whole comedy routine "round-about", where you end somewhere near where you started. My point being, despite the subject matter he relies on oh too much, he still has some understanding of writing about it in the right way.

But yeah. The guys a novelty writer that doesn't speak anything really important. Anyone that considers him anything more than a guy with some talent but no creativity obviously doesn't read much.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Redstar wrote:Apparently over 60 people have fainted during his readings of this story.
You have seen documentation of these faintings, yes? Or is this just him telling it? ;)
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Pix or it d-

... well, you know the rest.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:
Redstar wrote:Apparently over 60 people have fainted during his readings of this story.
You have seen documentation of these faintings, yes? Or is this just him telling it? ;)
Dude, I think it's on his website 'n' shit.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

My old Art History lecturer read this out in a lecture.... for some reason.

Nobody fainted.
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

Omphalos wrote:
SandChigger wrote:
Dude, I think it's on his website 'n' shit.
Sounds like bragging. How annoying.

I find it strange that people would faint over anything, but then again some people don't like seeing blood or hearing nails on chalkboards. I guess some people would do that, but then I wonder why they're sitting through a Palahniuk reading.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I fainted in 6th grade music class. We were all standing there singing and it was WAY too hot, and I passed out.

Passed out sounds so much better than fainted. :wink:
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Is that why you changed schools the next year? :?
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

I must admit, I'm not too fazed by this story either.

When I was 12 or so, there was a story (may have been urban legend, may have been true) of this sort of thing actually happening to little kids in people's family pools. My imagination was good enough at the time to picture the result in enough shocking clarity that having the same scene described in words now isn't too traumatic.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

The one that always got me was when the guy in the broken down car left his kids to find help, then the kids started hearing scratches on the roof. Turns out it was their headless dad hanging from a tree! His fingernails were scratching the roo.....

Sorry. Fainted there for a minute. I'm OK now.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
lotek

Post by lotek »

is it the Handbook of Wanking?

I've read much more disturbing stuff, and I was going to give an example but I realized it would make me look like a proper weirdo, really...
Spice is the worm's gonads.
smugetsu

Post by smugetsu »

Well, the man can write, and I do enjoy his narrative style.

But I can't help but feel that most of his talent comes from shock-value. Like he's the Marilyn Manson of authors, just doing things to try and gross you out, not because they really help the story move along.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

(LIKE the new av & siggy ... what is that (again)? :shock: )

(Ooh ... it changes! :D )
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

Killzone 2. A Helghast sniper am i correct?
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
smugetsu

Post by smugetsu »

Cookie for Seraphan! (proceeds to attempt to paste a large cookie icon into the thread, failing miserably)

It is indeed a Helghast sniper, from a game called Killzone 2 on the PS3.
lotek

Post by lotek »

tried only the Killzone on the psp(was ok iirrc)

back on topic:
do you guys think that just face value shock (and a good narration)makes a good story?
I did read some stuff that I found deeply disturbing because it tapped into a dark corner of the mind that should not come into light, like the stuff of those nightmares that leave you with a feeling of uncleanliness...

bring on the men in white now :)
Spice is the worm's gonads.