Webmaster help

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Spicelon

Webmaster help

Post by Spicelon »

Freak, Omph, Chig:

So I have this domain, and it's hosted (domain is through godaddy, hosting is through 1and1), and now the girlfriend is on me about Wordpress. So I Googled Wordpress, and I see that it's some sort of blog publishing application. In a nutshell the GF wants to create a wedding update/wedding content "page" on our website and have it in blog form, or something like that. Do any of you guys know anything about this? Is it high maintenance from a web-managing standpoint? Or is it pretty hands off? I am not an expert web developer by any definition, and I just want to know what I could potentially be getting sucked into.
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Re: Webmaster help

Post by SandChigger »

WordPress is what I use for my blog. If you've set up a MySQL database before and can upload files to your site and all that, it's nothing to get set up.

There's a little bit of moderation required occasionally if you're going to let people comment on your posts. If it's just going to be one-way information dispersal, though, no maintenance at all. :)

Edit: Btw, feel free to mail me if you have questions, or ask here!
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

I believe that you can also just have GoDaddy install WordPress for you. It should be one of your options. I'm not sure if it costs anything, but that would be the easiest way. With no knowledge of such things I installed Moodle on a GoDaddy account and it wasn't too much of a hassle.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

^^^ Even easier! :P
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Blogs are really easy to run. Word Press is what I use for the Law and SF site and I'm in the process of mating a different Word Press blog to the book review site. Not sure how Go Daddy is, but sites all over the net will be happy to host a blog for you. Depending on how much you pay, you will get some services from them such as upgrades when newer versions come out, db management and stuff like that.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Omphalos wrote:Blogs are really easy to run. Word Press is what I use for the Law and SF site and I'm in the process of mating a different Word Press blog to the book review site. Not sure how Go Daddy is, but sites all over the net will be happy to host a blog for you. Depending on how much you pay, you will get some services from them such as upgrades when newer versions come out, db management and stuff like that.
So you're a breeder? Sounds like a sexy business!

Sorry, couldn't resist. :wink:
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

It gets so slippery at times that its taken me months to get this far.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!