Hiking

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Hiking

Post by Freakzilla »

I'm going hiking with the Cub Scouts tomorrow... so it's tonight Jim Beam and Coca Cola only.

Kennesaw Mountain is 1808 feet above sea level. It is approximately a 700 foot incline from the Visitor Center to the mountain's summit. The hike up is approximately 1.4 miles on the road and 1.2 mile up the trail.

Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park, at 905 Kennesaw Mountain Drive between Marietta and Kennesaw, Georgia, preserves a Civil War battleground of the Atlanta Campaign, and also contains Kennesaw Mountain. The name Kennesaw is derived from the Cherokee Indian "Gah-nee-sah" meaning cemetery, or burial ground.

The Battle of Kennesaw Mountain, fought here between General William Tecumseh Sherman of the Union army and Joseph E. Johnston of the Confederate army, took place between June 18, 1864, and July 2, 1864. Sherman's army consisted of 100,000 men, 254 cannon and 35,000 horses, while Johnston's army had only 50,000 men and 187 cannon. Much of the battle took place not on Kennesaw Mountain itself, but on Little Kennesaw and the area to its south. 5,350 soldiers were killed during the battle.

Established as Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Site on February 8, 1917, it was transferred from the War Department on August 10, 1933, and redesignated a national battlefield park on June 26, 1935. As with all historic areas administered by the National Park Service, the park was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966.

Kennesaw Mountain Battlefield is a 2,923 acre National Battlefield that preserves a Civil War battleground of the Atlanta Campaign. There are 3 battlefield areas: In front of the Visitor Center, off Burnt Hickory Road and the main site is located at Cheatham Hill [then commonly known as the Dead Angle]. The visitor center provides introductory information about the Battlefield and the battle. While walking some of the 17.3 miles of interpretive walking trails you will see historic earthworks, cannon emplacements and various interpretive signs. There are 3 monuments representing states who fought here.

Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield was authorized for protection by the War Department in 1917 and was transferred to the Department of the Interior as a unit of the National Park System in 1933. The 2,923 acre Battlefield includes the site of some of the heaviest fighting of the Atlanta Campaign of the Civil War. The Battlefield was set aside as an important cultural property dedicated to public inspiration and interpretation of the significant historic events that occurred here.

May god have mercy on my soul.

http://www.nps.gov/kemo/planyourvisit/u ... %20map.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
TheDukester

Re: Hiking

Post by TheDukester »

Neat place; I've been there once.

It also provided the name of baseball's first commissioner; link here for those looking to broaden their horizons.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

TheDukester wrote:Neat place; I've been there once.

It also provided the name of baseball's first commissioner; link here for those looking to broaden their horizons.

I did not know that! :oops:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Cool. I think you've mentioned Cub Scouts once or twice recently; is this something new or you just becoming more active with them? :)

Anyway, remember, pix or ... ;)
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SandChigger wrote:Cool. I think you've mentioned Cub Scouts once or twice recently; is this something new or you just becoming more active with them? :)

Anyway, remember, pix or ... ;)
Spend time with the kids... Community Service...

If two birds in the bush is worth one in the hand, is one bird in the bush worth a half a bird in the hand?

I was a Cub Scout myself once.

I've got my lensatic compass, LBE and Butt pack ready... Oh, that's CAVALRY scout business! I'll take it anyway.

A dirty pressure dressing, too.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SandChigger wrote:Anyway, remember, pix or ... ;)
God damnit...

There will be pix from atop Kennesaw Mountain.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Freakzilla wrote:
God damnit...

And not just of the top of the mountain like some people take. Me and Jimmy (Future Fascist Party President (you think I'm Joking... wherever me and my wife go, they say, "Hey, where's Jimmy?" or "You must be Jimmy's parent's") will be in them.
~Pink Snowman
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

Freakzilla wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
God damnit...

And not just of the top of the mountain like some people take. Me and Jimmy (Future Fascist Party President (you think I'm Joking... wherever me and my wife go, they say, "Hey, where's Jimmy?" or "You must be Jimmy's parent's") will be in them.
If you are going hiking you best get some sleep young man or you just might fall off that mountain while taking the picture.

Have fun tomorrow. (or should I say later on today ;) )
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Eyes High wrote:If you are going hiking you best get some sleep young man or you just might fall off that mountain while taking the picture.

Have fun tomorrow. (or should I say later on today ;) )
I was a Cavalry Scout in the US Army. That's not a mountain, it's a ridgeline.

Besides...

I grew up in the shadow of that mountain. I mean, right under it. As a child I tested the skills of National Park Rangers.

Pussies.

I look forward to taking my son to the museum at the Visitor's Center.
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Why don't you take a dictaphone with you and write a book?

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

That's so passé.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Omphalos wrote:Why don't you take a dictaphone with you and write a book?
Hey ... that's not a bad idea.

In fact, I'd pay you $549 for that idea!
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

That was a lot steeper than I remember!

:whew:

I do not recommend doing that hung over.

We took a Pack photo at the top, I'll post it when the Den Leader sends it to me.
~Pink Snowman
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

Glad to see you made it back in one piece. Or maybe I should say; I WILL be glad to see that you made it back in one piece when the pic is posted.
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Eyes High wrote:Glad to see you made it back in one piece. Or maybe I should say; I WILL be glad to see that you made it back in one piece when the pic is posted.
:lol:
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

More hikin' pics!
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.