Love Plus

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Love Plus

Post by Freakzilla »

:shock: This is what I need, all the hassle of a girlfriend but without the sex... :hand:

Does new video game take virtual dating too far?
by Ben Silverman

Buzz up!

November 16 6:24 P.M.

Typically we don't kiss and tell, but we couldn't resist spilling the beans about Konami's DS game, Love Plus. It's just too creepy to keep to ourselves.

Currently only out in Japan, Love Plus is a dating simulation that lets you court several different virtual girls. If you play your cards right, one of them will start to fall for you.

And that's precisely where things go from odd to just plain icky.

As you grow closer, you'll need to take your new fake girlfriend out on dates -- in real time, no less -- and start planning your future together. Eventually she might ask for a kiss, which requires touching her on the lips. Or perhaps she'll ask you to whisper sweet nothings in her ear, which requires babbling pleasantries into the DS microphone (and a serious lack of shame).

An interview posted on BoingBoing revealed more sordid details about Love Plus, as told through the experience of happily married San Francisco man Koh and his happily not-a-real-person-at-all girlfriend, Rinko. When asked what they did together, Koh lent some insight into their awkward relationship:

"Ok, this is pretty embarrassing. The DS has a mic and a touchscreen, so... one time, she asked me to say 'I love you' a hundred times into the mic. I was on the airplane when she asked me that, so I was like, no way. There was also this part where you have to hold her hand on the touchscreen. If you touch her hand with the stylus, you get to hold her hand. And then there's the part where you have to kiss her."

OMG! So did he?

"No, no!" he responded when prodded by the interviewer. "The girl's face shows up on the screen, and you have to touch her lips to give her a kiss. That's pretty weird.... this is embarrassing. I'm sweating right now just talking about it."

Love Plus has caused quite a stir in Japan, as some wives have complained that their husbands are effectively 'cheating' on them by spending too much time with their virtual significant others. Do you agree? Or is this just harmless (albeit a little disturbing) fun?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Tleszer

Re: Love Plus

Post by Tleszer »

Maybe Chig will find true love! :lol:
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

What man would really want this? Is this for real?
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Not just creepy, but lame. If they're going to do something dumb like this it should at least involve some kind of game controlled sex toy.

Not that I'd use it myself, but I'm just saying... :puke:
trang

Post by trang »

As far as I know, what self respecting adult male would have a Nintendo DS anyway? the thing is targeted at kids, and If I go out on a limb, the games are mostly made for kids. They are soft, light, easy going games for the most part.

This game is ignorant to say the least, but goes to show what people can come up with.. when they have way to much money and way to much time on their hands. Its premise that males are the primary in seeking dates, as well as the primary in funding the adventure, gives the wrong message.

Should be a roar from the female community about this.
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

Redstar

Post by Redstar »

There's a strong pool of Teen and Mature games for the DS, but it is largely aimed at kids. The Wii has more adult-oriented options.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Redstar wrote:There's a strong pool of Teen and Mature games for the DS, but it is largely aimed at kids. The Wii has more adult-oriented options.

Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Sick little thangs, aren't they? :P

First I've heard of this, actually. (Yawn)

Tleszer wrote:Maybe Chig will find true love! :lol:
Oh, feeling a wee bit stroppy now, are we? ;)

Rest assured that RETRIBUTION will come ... when you least expect it. :twisted:
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

ooo, RETRIBUTION! I look forward to it. :dance: (please don't hurt me!)
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

:twisted: (Oh all right. ... Not even just a little?)
lotek

Post by lotek »

Nintendo games are for mentally challenged people anyway...

Eyes High wrote:What man would really want this? Is this for real?
a Japanese one:
Enjo kosai is one of Japanese society’s most infamous phenomenon: schoolgirls dating older men for money. Although many encounters don’t involve sex, this prostitution of Japan’s youth has been cause for serious concern.
http://www.japanfortheuninvited.com/art ... kosai.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At least even if it's sad to play that game it's only 0 and 1s, so it's not sleazy just ridiculous :)
Spice is the worm's gonads.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

lotek wrote:Nintendo games are for mentally challenged people anyway...
Or for homebrew softmodding fiends...
lotek

Post by lotek »

inhuien wrote:
lotek wrote:Nintendo games are for mentally challenged people anyway...
Or for homebrew softmodding fiends...
fair enough :)
Spice is the worm's gonads.