Who is "Archie" Herbert, really?

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Who is "Archie" Herbert, really?

Post by SandChigger »

OK, I've given Kim and "Archie" well over a week to reply to inquiries over on Facebook and since it appears they aren't going to, what the hell...

I noticed some while back that either Kim or her mother (or both?) has set up a Facebook account for the Herbert family dog, Archie:

http://www.facebook.com/people/Archie-H ... 1457681068" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The first time I saw it, I thought, Awwwww, isn't THAT precious. They made an account for their doggy! :roll:

But then I got to thinking about it ... I don't know if Kim still lives at home but presumably Jan still lives with Brian. And Archie. And Jan has a Facebook account. As does Archie.

Now I suppose Jan could run out to a local Net cafe every time she wanted to check her email or post something to her FB page ... it is possible, after all, to believe that she respects her husband's "philosophical reservations" about the Internet and Web enough to make such a sacrifice. Love does make people do stupid things, sometimes. (Like marry an alcoholic.)

But doesn't it seem much more likely that the Herbert home has an Internet connection?

And if they have such a connection, what is there, really, to keep Brian from using it? (Other than those "reservations", that is.) Who besides Jan and God and their ISP would know? (Oh, forgot about Archie; he'd know, too.)

But what would happen if Brian, say, wanted to join the rest of his family on Facebook? Oh dear, that would be a problem, wouldn't it? After all, Brian's big gimmick is his NOT being connected, NOT being online. Giving that up would leave him with just being afraid of flying. Because of a near-miss 40 some years ago. Wow ... talk about your also-rans. Brian'd just be the Old Fuzzy-headed Rainman (Can you say "hasbeen"? "Almostwas"?), while Kevin would still have his super sexxay dictahiking thang. Oh. Dear.

Ah ... but what if ... what if he used an alias to go online? What if, indeed....

So who is "Archie" Herbert, really? ;)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Tleszer

Re: Who is "Archie" Herbert, really?

Post by Tleszer »

SandChigger wrote:So who is "Archie" Herbert, really? ;)
And why does this "Archie" have 158 friends? :think:
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Why, indeed?! :shhh:

(Um ... I'm showing 171 now.)

People like ... TAZ? (Of course, he's suck, I mean, such a suck-up that he'd be "friends" with Jabecca's goth arm stockings if she created an account for them. :roll: )

I think the what really made me start to wonder was all the family among them, especially Penny Merritt. BeFriending your brother's dog is just a little bit too cute.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Why don't you just shoot "Archie" your linguistics question and see if Brian answers?

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Ask the doggie if it likes to fly.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Omphalos wrote:Why don't you just shoot "Archie" your linguistics question and see if Brian answers?
Already tried that, back on Nov 6:
Subject line: Hi!

Hello, "Archie"!

An account for the family dog is such a cool idea! :)

I recently asked Kim to pass along a question to her father for me, but since you live in the same house, maybe you could do it quicker? (She seems to be quite busy lately.) Here's the message I sent her; if you could see that Brian sees it, I'd be much obliged!
_____

Hello, Kim. I'm wondering if you might pass along a question to your father, the one I asked a couple of weeks ago on the Official Dune page here on Facebook:

What is the source of the new name Korba wants to have Caladan known as, "Chisra Sala Muad'Dib"? In the book, it is said to be "the language of the desert", but it's no form of Arabic that I can find, nor could an Egyptian native speaker I consulted think of what it might be based on.

Considering the time and effort your grandfather obviously put into coming up with his Fremen names and terminology, the possibility that the same level of care and attention is not being exercised now makes me very sad indeed.

Ron (SandChigger)
I sent the original message to Kim on Oct 31.

No response via FB PM or on the Official Dune page. I even added a message to the PM thread with Kim asking her to contact me by regular email, since responding on FB might allow me to view some of her personal page info, etc.

While I'm sure they're not answering me just because of who I am, one might suggest the conclusion that Brian has no idea what the words mean or where KJA pulled them out of because he really isn't involved with the writing process at all. :D
Mr. Teg

Post by Mr. Teg »

Archie picked up a chigger...

I can just imagine the panic in the Herbert compound everyone running around like idiots bumping into each other.
"Crap, he found us!"
"Hurry, ask Kevin what do we do now!"
CHOAM
Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile, Narf!
Brian, Kevin & Byron :? :cylon101: :roll: The HLP
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Hardly. :roll:

Or at least they've had a week to calm down now.

I just hope it didn't push Brian over the edge, or bring on a "Rainman on the boarding ramp" episode.

(He seemed composed enough in that Net radio interview that guy is flogging on FB.)
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:
Omphalos wrote:Why don't you just shoot "Archie" your linguistics question and see if Brian answers?
Already tried that, back on Nov 6:
Subject line: Hi!

Hello, "Archie"!

An account for the family dog is such a cool idea! :)

I recently asked Kim to pass along a question to her father for me, but since you live in the same house, maybe you could do it quicker? (She seems to be quite busy lately.) Here's the message I sent her; if you could see that Brian sees it, I'd be much obliged!
_____

Hello, Kim. I'm wondering if you might pass along a question to your father, the one I asked a couple of weeks ago on the Official Dune page here on Facebook:

What is the source of the new name Korba wants to have Caladan known as, "Chisra Sala Muad'Dib"? In the book, it is said to be "the language of the desert", but it's no form of Arabic that I can find, nor could an Egyptian native speaker I consulted think of what it might be based on.

Considering the time and effort your grandfather obviously put into coming up with his Fremen names and terminology, the possibility that the same level of care and attention is not being exercised now makes me very sad indeed.

Ron (SandChigger)
I sent the original message to Kim on Oct 31.

No response via FB PM or on the Official Dune page. I even added a message to the PM thread with Kim asking her to contact me by regular email, since responding on FB might allow me to view some of her personal page info, etc.

While I'm sure they're not answering me just because of who I am, one might suggest the conclusion that Brian has no idea what the words mean or where KJA pulled them out of because he really isn't involved with the writing process at all. :D
If they ever do another signing in WA or CA Ill ask the question for you.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Aw, heck, who can wait that long?

And simply for confirmation of what we already pretty much know. ;)

The only real question is whether KJA made it up from scratch (=pulled it out of his ass) or it's the name of a friend, "cleverly" garbled.
lotek

Post by lotek »

Archie IS Brian

they have the same haircut!
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Mr. Teg

Post by Mr. Teg »

lotek wrote:Archie IS Brian

they have the same haircut!
Same haircut and nose...

Freakzilla wrote:How old is that pic of bobo, is he trying to pick up chicks?

Compare that picture with "Archie" the comic.

http://www.archiecomics.com/whoswho/riv ... rdale.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CHOAM
Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile, Narf!
Brian, Kevin & Byron :? :cylon101: :roll: The HLP
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

"Official Dune" has deleted my "wall comments" requesting "Jen" to ask Kevin or Brian about the source of the bogus Fremen, and the discussion thread in which I reposted the message to Kim as an "open letter" is also gone. My comment on being a fan of Dune but not of KJA, on one of his blahg reposts, is also gone.

They still haven't banned me from commenting, though. :twisted:
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Yeah, a bunch of my replies calling out non-Dune content were deleted as well. I guess it was too good to be true.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I've reposted the open letter and mentioned the deletions on Winnie's Dune group. She's cool.

(I see you've answered Mr. "Hollow Earth" Chlamydia again. :lol: )

Edit: I've replaced a comment on the Superstars seminar blog repost ("SAVE 45% off the regular price of $999 by signing up before January 1st!") and left two wall comments.
So is that how it's going to be then, no response other than to delete the inconvenient questions and comments? (7 hours ago)
In what language of what desert does "Chisra Sala Muad'Dib" mean "The Glorious Origin of Muad'Dib"? Tatooine Jawan?
The next step is to post this in their photos:

;)
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

SandChigger wrote:(I see you've answered Mr. "Hollow Earth" Chlamydia again. :lol: )
Yeah, God knows why I bother. If he's for real, he's clearly there to preach, not discuss.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

New bestest (stupid) comment on the Chisra Sala issue, on the "wall" of Official Dune (snort):
Candice wrote:Are you suggesting that you actually speak Chakobsa, and that Chisra Sala Muad'Dib is incorrect? That's what you're saying?
:doh:
Um, Candice, the Fremen spoke a form of Arabic as their normal, everyday language. Chakobsa was what they used only in certain situations, like when Stilgar's group first finds Jessica & Paul. Chakobsa was also the basis of the Atreides battle language.

Frank Herbert took real Arabic words and sometimes altered their form or meaning or both. Like Muad'Dib from mu'addib "etiquette teacher", or Sareer, Leto's private desert, which actually means "bed", etc etc etc. Chisra Sala is not any form of Arabic that ANYONE recognizes.
Let's see how long that lasts. :P
lotek

Post by lotek »

SandChigger wrote:New bestest (stupid) comment on the Chisra Sala issue, on the "wall" of Official Dune (snort):
Candice wrote:Are you suggesting that you actually speak Chakobsa, and that Chisra Sala Muad'Dib is incorrect? That's what you're saying?
:doh:
Um, Candice, the Fremen spoke a form of Arabic as their normal, everyday language. Chakobsa was what they used only in certain situations, like when Stilgar's group first finds Jessica & Paul. Chakobsa was also the basis of the Atreides battle language.

Frank Herbert took real Arabic words and sometimes altered their form or meaning or both. Like Muad'Dib from mu'addib "etiquette teacher", or Sareer, Leto's private desert, which actually means "bed", etc etc etc. Chisra Sala is not any form of Arabic that ANYONE recognizes.
Let's see how long that lasts. :P
:lol: :lol: :lol:

That's what you would call shooting fish :)
fun but boring isn't it?
Spice is the worm's gonads.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I realize later that this is the same woman who posted this back on Nov 20th:
Candice wrote:Dune is 700 pages of pure genius! I've said that since I first read it 22 years ago at age 12 and I'll say it as long as there is breath in my lungs! Love this story in all its incarnations, truly! I haven't bought Paul of Dune or The Winds of Dune yet; waiting to see if I get a Kindle for Xmas!
I guess she must have the special edition with the KJA emendations to the text, because even my New English Library paperback of Dune has only 604 pages. Truly! :shock:
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Could be a large print edition. :)

HBJ
- Carl Sagan

- Iain Banks
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Ha ha! :D

It's a pity the dumbass posted it on Official Dune, cause I get the feeling she deserves a more perfect union with the fruits of making stupid comments about Dune in public. :evil:

Btw, I'm starting to suspect that KJA has delete privileges on the Official Dune page: seems like every time he gets online, some of my comments disappear. The Chisra Sala stuff has been let alone for now, but my comment about the discount & regular prices for the SUPERBORES WRITING SEMINAL was gone again.

The prick won't answer the questions, but he'll sure enough delete them (or have someone else do it).
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

I've lost patience with the official dune facebook page already. The place is pretty dead anyway. I think all those scintillating KJA updates pretty much killed it.

HBJ
- Carl Sagan

- Iain Banks
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I checked in again there after blowing kisses at Our New Friend Kevin and noticed that my seminar discount comment was still there after all. Couldn't see it earlier, so who knows.

Deleted the new one I'd posted bitching about them deleting my comment and asking why. :P

The TOR representative there (Jen?) did answer people in the early days; at least she and Baraka Bryan exchanged a few words. ;)

Maybe she's been replaced (or just fooked off) and it's just Kimmy & Kevin controlling it now.

To be such BIG FANS OF DUNE, the 1600-some of them certainly are quiet. Can they all be preeqs?
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Actually, I suspect it's so quiet because they're not. Preeqs would lap up any KJA news; OH'ers ignore it. Preeqs would be tripping over themselves to talk about Winds; OH'ers havn't read it and don't care if they did.

HBJ
- Carl Sagan

- Iain Banks
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Hmm ... that makes sense, too.

I would think that OH would "de-fan" the page once they saw what was going on. (I refused to fan-up until recently, because I'm not a fan of "Official Dune", and only finally did so to post on the wall about the bogus Fremen crap.) Or is that too optimistic? :(