Upcoming movies you aren't looking forward to

Moderators: ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos, Freakzilla

A Thing of Eternity

Re: I hate Hollywood

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

lotek wrote:
SandChigger wrote:(I always thought the biggest fear for Canadians was being mistaken for Americans. :P )
or French :p
Nope, Chig nailed it, being mistaken for an American is more or less the worst thing that can happen to a Canadian while travelling abroad (in their minds anyways... I imagine stepping on a landmine would be considerably worse). :wink:
lotek wrote:
SandChigger wrote:The way they talk, are you kidding? Who would ever mistake them for French? :shock: :P

(I mean the kebekwaaaaaaa! waaa! waaaaa!, of course. :lol: )

yeah so did I :)

depeest apologies if Canadians don't like to be mistaken for Quebecois or is it the other way round?
Well Quebecois are Canadians, so it's impossible to mistake a Quebecer for a Canadian. :? And, if someone were to mistake an English Canadian for a French one, (or an actual French person for that matter) they would have to be from another planet... because I'm pretty sure most of this planet can tell the difference between English and French... maybe not some tribe from the Amazon? Even to someone from Tibet, English and French must sound at least as different as Mandarin and Cantonese (ie: very different).

:P
lotek

Post by lotek »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:Well Quebecois are Canadians, so it's impossible to mistake a Quebecer for a Canadian. :?
arf I knew that but people can get a bit touchy with provinces and shit

example
we have the Basque province in France and even if it is legally a part of France in every respect, you would probably upset a good fraction of the Basques if you told them they are French ;)

I was just trying to be diplomat :D

As for a Canadian not liking being mistaken for a French man well the fact it is impossible should have been a hint that it was a joke ;)
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Idahopotato

Post by Idahopotato »

When I travel abroad, I usually identify myself as Canadian. I get better service and less sneers than if I come out as "American" (as if Canadians, Mexicans, et. al. are not American). The only time I have ever traveled abroad as an "American" and been treated with respect was when I went to Cuba. Apparently Cuba hasn't been bombarded by the typical obnoxious ethnocentric American traveler that expects the rest of the world to operate as a service industry specifically for their benefit. Or perhaps Americans in Cuba are better behaved due to the lack of an American consulate in Cuba.
A Thing of Eternity

lotek wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:Well Quebecois are Canadians, so it's impossible to mistake a Quebecer for a Canadian. :?
arf I knew that but people can get a bit touchy with provinces and shit

example
we have the Basque province in France and even if it is legally a part of France in every respect, you would probably upset a good fraction of the Basques if you told them they are French ;)

I was just trying to be diplomat :D
Yeah, you're pretty much dead on for how much of Quebec veiws Canada, they want their own bloody seat at the UN, and so on and so on... gets a bit old. Lots of them are fine though. Newfoundlanders are very distinct as well (they only joined the country a little while ago after all), but less angry. :D
As for a Canadian not liking being mistaken for a French man well the fact it is impossible should have been a hint that it was a joke ;)
I'm terrible at recognising humour when it's written. :oops:
A Thing of Eternity

Idahopotato wrote:When I travel abroad, I usually identify myself as Canadian. I get better service and less sneers than if I come out as "American" (as if Canadians, Mexicans, et. al. are not American). The only time I have ever traveled abroad as an "American" and been treated with respect was when I went to Cuba. Apparently Cuba hasn't been bombarded by the typical obnoxious ethnocentric American traveler that expects the rest of the world to operate as a service industry specifically for their benefit. Or perhaps Americans in Cuba are better behaved due to the lack of an American consulate in Cuba.
We always hear about Americans putting Canadian flags on their backpacks and such for travelling, but I think this is the first time I've heard of this kind of thing first hand. Nice, officially declared not an urban myth. :)

Fine by us, just don't go being a dick while pretending to be Canadian! (not that you would, or that I would care if you did. I don't think the younger generations of Canadians deserves the international respect that the older generations did).
lotek

Post by lotek »

no probs
one of conversation's purposes is to clear misunderstandings(by sometimes raising new ones though not this time :) )
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Idahopotato

Post by Idahopotato »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:
Idahopotato wrote:When I travel abroad, I usually identify myself as Canadian. I get better service and less sneers than if I come out as "American" (as if Canadians, Mexicans, et. al. are not American). The only time I have ever traveled abroad as an "American" and been treated with respect was when I went to Cuba. Apparently Cuba hasn't been bombarded by the typical obnoxious ethnocentric American traveler that expects the rest of the world to operate as a service industry specifically for their benefit. Or perhaps Americans in Cuba are better behaved due to the lack of an American consulate in Cuba.
We always hear about Americans putting Canadian flags on their backpacks and such for travelling, but I think this is the first time I've heard of this kind of thing first hand. Nice, officially declared not an urban myth. :)

Fine by us, just don't go being a dick while pretending to be Canadian! (not that you would, or that I would care if you did. I don't think the younger generations of Canadians deserves the international respect that the older generations did).
Exactly. Pretending to be Canadian whilst acting like a douche would be against my own self interest. It is because Canadians are so much more behaved that I choose to travel in that guise. That and I haven't perfected my Australian accent yet. My Spanish is good enough that I can usually pass myself off in Latin American countries as Portuguese as well.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

can't be bothered to read thru this entire thread
to discover how "I hate Hollywood" became "I hate being Canadian",
but such wandering is par for this board ....

as to "I hate hollywood", the answer is Austin, Texas.

keep watching and supporting films made by the Weird Town Kids,
or influenced by them - go on chatboards and drum up the
"hollywood sucks, Austin rocks" mantra.

Austin's already saved American Film ....
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
A Thing of Eternity

I think we can warp ANY thread in this board into either "I hate being Canadian" or "thanks the gods I'm Canadian and not American!" - where there is a way, we will find it!
13athroom

Post by 13athroom »

SandRider wrote:Austin's already saved American Film ....
Yep. Until spy kids came along, I was sure that American film had lost its edge. Thank god for Austin.
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Austin Powers?

HBJ,
confoosed.
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
13athroom

Post by 13athroom »

texas.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

decent article on the Alamo Drafthouse

http://www.texasmonthly.com/preview/2010-01-01/feature4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

{edit}

well, shit.
sorry, that link is to a "preview" only, the first couple of paragraphs of
a several-page article. I don't know when they put the whole things
on the website, maybe after the next issue is out.

I can't advise any of y'all actually purchasing a Texas Monthly,
much less subscribing. (I have to, I'm a Democrat) Peruse it at your
local big chain bookstore. If they don't carry Texas Monthly,
complain loudly. end your rant with "Whall, ain't that sum shee-it !"
and storm out.
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

SandRider wrote:end your rant with "Whall, ain't that sum shee-it !"
and storm out.
:lol:

I'm there.
Harq al Ada

Post by Harq al Ada »

OK, so I know this is old news but I never got the chance to ask a Canadian when it happened. What did you all think about the Mann Coulter quote: "They better hope the United States doesn't roll over one night and crush them. They are lucky we allow them to exist on the same continent."

I don't usually have a problem calling myself an American but during the Bush jr reign, that we just escaped, I did often. It was a dark age. And still Fox Newsertainment makes me embarrassed to be American.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Harq al Ada wrote:OK, so I know this is old news but I never got the chance to ask a Canadian when it happened. What did you all think about the Mann Coulter quote: "They better hope the United States doesn't roll over one night and crush them. They are lucky we allow them to exist on the same continent."

I don't usually have a problem calling myself an American but during the Bush jr reign, that we just escaped, I did often. It was a dark age. And still Fox Newsertainment makes me embarrassed to be American.
Someone mentioned to me this evening that Sarah Palin just signed a contract to be a talking head on Fox News. I can't imagine a more qualified addition to their stable of...horses.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Did you mean whoreses? :?
Harq al Ada

Post by Harq al Ada »

Omphalos wrote:Someone mentioned to me this evening that Sarah Palin just signed a contract to be a talking head on Fox News. I can't imagine a more qualified addition to their stable of...horses.
I just read that. she is going to offer political commentary and analysis. it should be hilarious. Fox's brain trust is now complete.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I don't think she's pretty enough to be on Fox News.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Harq al Ada wrote:OK, so I know this is old news but I never got the chance to ask a Canadian when it happened. What did you all think about the Mann Coulter quote: "They better hope the United States doesn't roll over one night and crush them. They are lucky we allow them to exist on the same continent."

I don't even remember that happening, but if that's someone from FOX it probably ended up on our comedy shows. We pretty much just tape FOX "news" and run it as comedy up here, doesn't even need comentary!

We don't worry about stuff like that most of the time. When those 2 idiots on FOX were making fun of our soldiers who were overseas dying in a war we volunteered to help the US with, that made us pretty angry, but stuff like this is just what we expect from the asshole demographic of the US (which most of us do know does not represent the majority in any way. I work with lots of Americans, none of them are like that. Actually, even the brainwashed "America-rules-because-someone-said-so" people I've met have had respect for Canada, or, at least as much as their brainwashing allows for a country that isn't the US!).

Plus, what can we do but laugh? It's true that they could crush us with their military. So could most countries! Of course, the rest of the free world would then go absolutely apeshit and we'd have a war the likes of which has never been seen before.

Most of us just find it sad and confusing that the military might of a country would be the measuring stick of it's worth to someone, that person must be a sad broken human being!
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Does anyone pay attention to what Ann Coulter says? Did they ever?

Seriously, even if I agreed with everything (or, indeed anything) she said or wrote, I wouldn't want her speaking for me. I can't think of a less effective spokesperson - I rarely find snide sarcasm convincing.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

Sony Rebooting Spider-Man in 2012!

Yeah. The fourth film has been canceled in favor of plans to reboot the series in 2012, where they'll tell the story of Peter Parker gaining his powers while in high school... Sound familiar? :roll:
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Any American who fails to appreciate Canada's military contributions does so out of ignorance. :(
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Redstar wrote: Sound familiar? :roll:
Sounds very familiar. :wink:
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Freakzilla wrote:Any American who fails to appreciate Canada's military contributions does so out of ignorance. :(

them & the Aussies kicked ass in southeast asia for many years.

(korea & WWII, as well)
ImageImage