Upcoming movies you aren't looking forward to

Image
    Non-dune discussion

Moderators: ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos, Freakzilla

User avatar
Redstar
Posts: 1184
Joined: 25 Feb 2009 04:13

Upcoming movies you aren't looking forward to

Postby Redstar » 08 Nov 2009 02:37

Among other movies currently in production, these are a few that make me facepalm:

Live-action/CGI Yogi Bear adaptation starring Anna Faris, Justin Timberlake, and Dan Akroyd.

Live-action/CGI Marmaduke adaptation starring Owen Wilson as the voice of Marmaduke (ala Garfield)

Live-action/CGI Berenstain Bears adaptation
"I'd like the film to be un-ironic about its family connections but have a wry comedic sensibility that isn't oblivious to the fact that they're bears," Levy said. "The comedy comes from this bear family coexisting in a more recognizably real world." (Despite the fact that they live in Bear Country, where everyone is a goddamned bear)


Thoughts? Rants? Any upcoming movies (besides the Dune adaptation :wink:) that make you wonder about the state of art or human intelligence?
Last edited by Redstar on 19 Aug 2010 19:53, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero
Posts: 14490
Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:29
Location: "Whatcha having, shoog? Hurry up and order now, I ain't got all day!"
Contact:

Re: I hate Hollywood

Postby SandChigger » 08 Nov 2009 03:04

Yogi Bear is the only one I recognized right off; had to google the other two.

Um ... yes ... well ... why am I not surprised?

And Berg passed on Dune to do what again? Battleship?

I've said it before but it needs said again and again until it comes true: Hollywood should just burn and sink into the earth.

User avatar
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
Posts: 18156
Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Contact:

Re: I hate Hollywood

Postby Freakzilla » 08 Nov 2009 07:33

I'd watch anything with Anna Faris in it.

Check out the t-shirt:

Image
Image
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman

User avatar
Serkanner
Posts: 2828
Joined: 17 Feb 2008 18:44
Location: Den Haag - The Netherlands

Re: I hate Hollywood

Postby Serkanner » 08 Nov 2009 08:25

Great assets indeed

Image
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."

User avatar
Tleszer
Posts: 2161
Joined: 17 Feb 2008 18:02

Re: I hate Hollywood

Postby Tleszer » 08 Nov 2009 09:21

Back on topic, sorta, Sony is apparently making a movie based on the board game Risk. I can't image what they'll do to keep it from just being another war movie.

BTW keep the pics coming!
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie

User avatar
trang
Posts: 1222
Joined: 06 May 2008 18:59
Location: Hot Tub Time Machine
Contact:

Re: I hate Hollywood

Postby trang » 08 Nov 2009 10:00

agrees on the assets freak gifted us with..

so many out there that it takes a "stupid" divining rod to find them all, here is a link from sci-fi movie page on just upcoming remakes...

http://www.scifimoviepage.com/upcoming/ ... makes.html

of which not a single one of them is worthy, necessary, or wanted...

I guess the next level for Hollywood is remakes of sequels, then circle back and remake of remakes, then remakes of remakes of sequels. By then I should have gotton some disease that blinds me and and I can walk into the desert to the glory of Shai-Hulud!! GOD EMPEROR SAVE US!!!!

Can 2012 happen just in Hollywood? leave the rest of us at peace maybe?
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

Image

User avatar
DuneFishUK
Posts: 1988
Joined: 25 May 2008 14:14
Location: Cool Britannia
Contact:

Re: I hate Hollywood

Postby DuneFishUK » 08 Nov 2009 11:02

Am I the only one who doesn't really care if something's a remake?

A good story is a good story - that's why people are still doing Shakespeare plays and adaptations.

There are a lot of crap adaptations, admittedly, but there are a lot of crap original films too - Sturgeon's law would seem to apply. If a new director can bring something new to a classic premise - I'd say let him. Just make sure the original gets a shiney new DVD release alongside the new film :P

Going through Trang's list - there are some that are hopeless pieces of shit... but-

    Judge Dredd - There hasn't been a proper Judge Dredd film.
    Flash Gordon - A decent Alex Raymond adaptation would be good.
    Forbidden Planet - The way they're approaching it sounds pretty interesting.
    Conan - The Arnie one was awesome, but there hasn't been a proper REH adaptation yet.
    Robocop - Yeah, shit... but is it still being directed by Aronofsky?

A good starting point is just that - and a studio will probably put more money towards a marketable project than they would gamble on an original idea. There is no reason for them to suck... although Redstar's kid's films in the original post will.

But hey - not as if the kids will have seen the originals. (Actually Yogi's the only one I properly remember - Berenstain Bears was shit iirc, and never even heard of the dog one.)

User avatar
trang
Posts: 1222
Joined: 06 May 2008 18:59
Location: Hot Tub Time Machine
Contact:

Re: I hate Hollywood

Postby trang » 08 Nov 2009 12:13

I was focused mainly on the sci-fi remakes as just a portion of the limp gray matter creations from dollywood.
I can agree some, in general, are worthy, but think the majority are just the fear and lack of imagination of the studio's. The thousands of fiction/non fiction stories in print that could be turned into movies, leaves one wondering what the hell they are thinking. When was the last Ben Franklin movie that was made and cool, that turned folks onto their own history?

How about Camerons blue fairy adventure coming, Avatar? silly.

Marmaduke is/was a newspaper single pain cartoon, has been for years. I believe they made a motion cartoon for saturday morning tv that was short lived.

the others I know also. My son is autistic, 12 to be 13 this november 22nd and he still watches cartoons regularly (developmentally he is about half his age) When he is with me (in middle of divource) he covers the gambit from anime to barney to disney and beyond.

Sorry sound negative... My soul was fraking destoyed when they made Starship Troopers and the abortion it turned out to be. The nail in the coffin was the gargantuan disaster that all involved should be flogged for was the remake of "The Day the Earth Stood Still"....was so pissed about it...............grrrr.
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

Image

User avatar
DuneFishUK
Posts: 1988
Joined: 25 May 2008 14:14
Location: Cool Britannia
Contact:

Re: I hate Hollywood

Postby DuneFishUK » 08 Nov 2009 12:36

trang wrote:the remake of "The Day the Earth Stood Still"....was so pissed about it...............grrrr.

I've been purposefully avoiding that one - everything I've heard puts it near the arse-end of Sturgeon's 90% :P.

Just hope the director raises his game for his next film... Hyperion :(

User avatar
othaderak
Posts: 149
Joined: 11 Jul 2009 01:07
Location: The phenomenal world

Re: I hate Hollywood

Postby othaderak » 08 Nov 2009 12:56

He's doing Hyperion?!?!??! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

What's he gonna do, cast Keanu Reeves as the Shrike? :puke:
Image

User avatar
DuneFishUK
Posts: 1988
Joined: 25 May 2008 14:14
Location: Cool Britannia
Contact:

Re: I hate Hollywood

Postby DuneFishUK » 08 Nov 2009 13:10

I say Hyperion... I mean "Hyperion Cantos" - aka the 2 books mashed into a single film and bearing little or no relation to the source material.

Yeah - this has gone from one of my "most-anticipated-films" to "some shit I hope gets stuck in development hell" (has so far :P) :x

But then again - it'll get remade in 10 years time anyway :)

User avatar
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
Posts: 18156
Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Contact:

Re: I hate Hollywood

Postby Freakzilla » 08 Nov 2009 13:15

DuneFishUK wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't really care if something's a remake?


It's not that good ideas shouldn't be redone but that there are so many other fresh ideas deserving of a chance that get overlooked.
Image
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman

User avatar
Harq al Ada
Posts: 122
Joined: 11 Oct 2009 23:00
Location: Mormon country, AZ

Re: I hate Hollywood

Postby Harq al Ada » 08 Nov 2009 13:46

Freakzilla wrote:I'd watch anything with Anna Faris in it.

Check out the t-shirt:

Image


have you seen May?


I'm a little skeptical about the Thing remake or prequel and the Alien remake or prequel. They're doing a Predator remake as well.

A Ghost in the Shell and Akira could be really cool! Last I read about Akira though said that it's a dead idea.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

User avatar
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
Posts: 18156
Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Contact:

Re: I hate Hollywood

Postby Freakzilla » 08 Nov 2009 13:55

Harq al Ada wrote:have you seen May?


About six months ago. :?
Image
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman

User avatar
Harq al Ada
Posts: 122
Joined: 11 Oct 2009 23:00
Location: Mormon country, AZ

Re: I hate Hollywood

Postby Harq al Ada » 08 Nov 2009 14:14

Freakzilla wrote:
Harq al Ada wrote:have you seen May?


About six months ago. :?


*rim shot*

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0303361/
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

User avatar
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
Posts: 18156
Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Contact:

Re: I hate Hollywood

Postby Freakzilla » 08 Nov 2009 15:13

Harq al Ada wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
Harq al Ada wrote:have you seen May?


About six months ago. :?


*rim shot*

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0303361/



Never heard of it, I'll keep an eye out for it, though.
Image
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman

User avatar
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero
Posts: 14490
Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:29
Location: "Whatcha having, shoog? Hurry up and order now, I ain't got all day!"
Contact:

Re: I hate Hollywood

Postby SandChigger » 08 Nov 2009 16:13

The Day Keanu's Face Stood Still has joined Titanic and Life is Beautiful on my List of Films I Will Never Watch.

A real sign of how sad Hollywood is was when they remade (sorry, "rebooted") The Hulk after just 5 years.

Let it burn & sink.

User avatar
DuneFishUK
Posts: 1988
Joined: 25 May 2008 14:14
Location: Cool Britannia
Contact:

Re: I hate Hollywood

Postby DuneFishUK » 08 Nov 2009 16:15

If at first you don't succeed...

User avatar
Redstar
Posts: 1184
Joined: 25 Feb 2009 04:13

Re: I hate Hollywood

Postby Redstar » 08 Nov 2009 18:13

Freakzilla wrote:I'd watch anything with Anna Faris in it.

Check out the t-shirt:

Image

I don't like blondes... But I'll make an exception for her.

Harq al Ada wrote:I'm a little skeptical about the Thing remake or prequel and the Alien remake or prequel. They're doing a Predator remake as well.

A Ghost in the Shell and Akira could be really cool! Last I read about Akira though said that it's a dead idea.

Alien prequel is fine in my book, as long as they go into the Nostromo aliens somewhat. Unlike most people, I actually liked all the sequels, including the last. It's only very recently that I decided the last was very unnecessary, at least thematically.

Ghost in the Shell will most likely end up being called a Matrix rip-off (if they use white actors, which they inevitably will), even though it's the other way around. Akira is epic. It can be done, and ethnicity of the actors doesn't seem like a big issue (even though it takes place in Tokyo, though they'll most likely forgo that as well).

Finally, Cowboy Bebop. Keanu Reeves actually looks the part, though his acting skill remains to be seen.

User avatar
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
Posts: 18156
Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Contact:

Re: I hate Hollywood

Postby Freakzilla » 08 Nov 2009 19:03

Redstar wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:I'd watch anything with Anna Faris in it.

Check out the t-shirt:

Image

I don't like blondes... But I'll make an exception for her.


(She's not really blonde!) :wink:

Image
Image
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman

User avatar
Harq al Ada
Posts: 122
Joined: 11 Oct 2009 23:00
Location: Mormon country, AZ

Re: I hate Hollywood

Postby Harq al Ada » 08 Nov 2009 22:23

Redstar wrote:Alien prequel is fine in my book, as long as they go into the Nostromo aliens somewhat. Unlike most people, I actually liked all the sequels, including the last. It's only very recently that I decided the last was very unnecessary, at least thematically.

Ghost in the Shell will most likely end up being called a Matrix rip-off (if they use white actors, which they inevitably will), even though it's the other way around. Akira is epic. It can be done, and ethnicity of the actors doesn't seem like a big issue (even though it takes place in Tokyo, though they'll most likely forgo that as well).

Finally, Cowboy Bebop. Keanu Reeves actually looks the part, though his acting skill remains to be seen.


I didn't have a real problem with the Alien sequels either (even though I despise Winona Rider). But after Aliens, the sequels didn't add anything and are pretty much worthless to the story. A prequel could be interesting.

I think I remember reading somewhere that the live action Ghost in the Shell and/or Akira would be set in New York (neo neo york).

Speaking of anime, I think it was mentioned by someone here that the best treatment of Dune would probably be anime, I agree.

Oh and I don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet but they're doing a prequel to the atrocious Will Smith I Am Legend.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

User avatar
Redstar
Posts: 1184
Joined: 25 Feb 2009 04:13

Re: I hate Hollywood

Postby Redstar » 08 Nov 2009 22:32

Harq al Ada wrote:I didn't have a real problem with the Alien sequels either (even though I despise Winona Rider). But after Aliens, the sequels didn't add anything and are pretty much worthless to the story. A prequel could be interesting.

I had a big crush on Winona Rider, mostly because of Alien: Resurrection.

Harq al Ada wrote:I think I remember reading somewhere that the live action Ghost in the Shell and/or Akira would be set in New York (neo neo york).

Great. War on Terror analogies abound.

Harq al Ada wrote:Speaking of anime, I think it was mentioned by someone here that the best treatment of Dune would probably be anime, I agree.

http://www.jacurutu.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1750

Harq al Ada wrote:Oh and I don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet but they're doing a prequel to the atrocious Will Smith I Am Legend.

Better than the sequel they wanted to do. Just grab the recut and watch it with the original ending, and it gets better.

User avatar
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
Posts: 18156
Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Contact:

Re: I hate Hollywood

Postby Freakzilla » 08 Nov 2009 23:32

Redstar wrote:
Harq al Ada wrote:I didn't have a real problem with the Alien sequels either (even though I despise Winona Rider). But after Aliens, the sequels didn't add anything and are pretty much worthless to the story. A prequel could be interesting.

I had a big crush on Winona Rider, mostly because of Alien: Resurrection.


Heathers did it for me.

Image
Image
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman

User avatar
Redstar
Posts: 1184
Joined: 25 Feb 2009 04:13

Re: I hate Hollywood

Postby Redstar » 08 Nov 2009 23:41

Ryder suggested a sequel is in development last June.

User avatar
Harq al Ada
Posts: 122
Joined: 11 Oct 2009 23:00
Location: Mormon country, AZ

Re: I hate Hollywood

Postby Harq al Ada » 09 Nov 2009 00:26

Freakzilla wrote:
Redstar wrote:
Harq al Ada wrote:I didn't have a real problem with the Alien sequels either (even though I despise Winona Rider). But after Aliens, the sequels didn't add anything and are pretty much worthless to the story. A prequel could be interesting.

I had a big crush on Winona Rider, mostly because of Alien: Resurrection.


Heathers did it for me.

Image


When I first saw Heathers and Winona Ryder I really liked her but everything she did after that ruined my likeing.


Redstar wrote:
Harq al Ada wrote:Oh and I don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet but they're doing a prequel to the atrocious Will Smith I Am Legend.

Better than the sequel they wanted to do. Just grab the recut and watch it with the original ending, and it gets better.


unless it's like the Richard Matheson's ending I can't imagine it'd be much better. the Will Smith movie missed the entire point of the story. Also never captured the feeling of being completely alone which definitely would have been easier in the LA suburb setting of the book. they should have just called it something else. I remember reading somewhere that it was supposed to be more of a remake of Omega Man but it wasn't even a good remake of that.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?


Return to “˲”