Upcoming movies you aren't looking forward to

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

trang

Re: I hate Hollywood

Post by trang »

Watched Gamer... BAD film.. Waist of Film.. I do like Gerard Butler though.
Watched The Goods, Live Hard, Sell Hard, sucked for the most part, D-list comedy.

I was tortured to death with titanic, Extobe, two daughters all would sing every Celine Dion song ( I Really hate her music, voice, look, and well her, anyway) It got old fast. Kate Winslet..... Yep would in a heartbeat.

Looking forward to "men who stare at goats", when I get a chance.
"2012" looks like the CGI Smash of the fall, Popcorn Disaster movie!! will give it a go eventually.

Ridley Scott has earned his stinking badges, if he wants to make Clifford the big red dog, Im sure its ok.
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

trang wrote:Looking forward to "men who stare at goats", when I get a chance.

That looks great, I'm looking forward to it, too.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Freakzilla wrote:

Me too, almost went to see it last night but got sidetracked by drinking.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:

Me too, almost went to see it last night but got sidetracked by drinking.
I'm sure that will be a DVD movie for me. But I'm going to see 2012 in the theater tomorrow.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:... but got sidetracked by drinking.
:lol: :dance: 8)

Yeah, I remember those days.

Sort of.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

Zac Efron stars in upcoming Jonny Quest live-action adaptation

Yeah. No thank you. Jonny was eleven-years-old. I grew up with this cartoon and the (22? 23?-year-old) Highschool Musical-boy up there just can't cut it. They'll probably remove Hadji to be more "racially-sensitive" as well. Blegh.

They're also changing the name of the movie because they don't want to be compared to the Speed Racer adaptation, and by extension, "children's cartoons".

Oh. And Dwayne Johnson (the Rock) is considering the role of the (white-haired) Race bannon. Brilliant.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

That's not the kid from SCC, is it? :?
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

I don't think so. He was in Disney's High School Musical 1, 2 , 3, and the movies Hairspray and 17 Again (also starring Matthew Perry of Friends fame).
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

SandChigger wrote:A real sign of how sad Hollywood is was when they remade (sorry, "rebooted") The Hulk after just 5 years.
That wasn't a "reboot", that was a "do-over".

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

Hunchback Jack wrote:
SandChigger wrote:A real sign of how sad Hollywood is was when they remade (sorry, "rebooted") The Hulk after just 5 years.
That wasn't a "reboot", that was a "do-over".

HBJ
I didn't see the reboot/do-over/whatever outside of trailers, but the casting and story seemed better-placed than its predecessor. How was it compared to the previous one, as well as on its own?
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

Red Dawn remake

Yes, a completely unnecessary remake. Oh, and it's apparently "like a live-action Call of Duty", which is a WWII shooting video game, for those not familiar with it.

And, yes. This one is just...

Facebook movie

Yes... They're making a movie based on the social-networking site Facebook, titled "The Social Network". It stars Justin Timberlake as the co-founder of Napster that later went on to found Facebook. I need say no more.
Idahopotato

Post by Idahopotato »

Redstar wrote:Red Dawn remake

Yes, a completely unnecessary remake. Oh, and it's apparently "like a live-action Call of Duty", which is a WWII shooting video game, for those not familiar with it.

And, yes. This one is just...

Facebook movie

Yes... They're making a movie based on the social-networking site Facebook, titled "The Social Network". It stars Justin Timberlake as the co-founder of Napster that later went on to found Facebook. I need say no more.
Red Dawn was one of my favorite movies growing up. I used to sit in class, look out the windows, and dream of invading commies para-trooping onto the school grounds. You were probably too young to have watched it when it was cool.

Why not a movie about Facebook? They made a movie about Craig's list. Although that was a documentary.
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

Idahopotato wrote:Red Dawn was one of my favorite movies growing up. I used to sit in class, look out the windows, and dream of invading commies para-trooping onto the school grounds. You were probably too young to have watched it when it was cool.
I was, but it's still one of my favorite movies, and I find it very cool. But it's useless because it served a very real purpose in playing into mass fear as a form of propaganda... What could they possibly do now? We're not really afraid of anything like we were back then. I seriously doubt "Arabs parachuting into the Midwest" holds the same appeal. Even communist china would be a bad pick.
Idahopotato wrote:Why not a movie about Facebook? They made a movie about Craig's list. Although that was a documentary.
It might be one, but the fact they're casting "real" actors, including Justin Timberlake, suggests they view this as a bit more than just that.
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

That Facebook movie doesn't sound as bad as all that - I thought it might be like Battleship, but with Facebook, but it's not - it's a movie about how Facebook itself came into being. Trousersnake is the founder.

The Red Dawn movie is having China as the baddies - and tbh, with COD:MW2 being a brand new top selling game which features a very-near-future invasion of the US I'd be stupidly suprised if they didn't try and jump on that bandwagon.
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Redstar wrote: We're not really afraid of anything like we were back then.
You're not being serious, right?

We are surrounded by fear. (At least in this country; I can't speak for any others). Have you not watched a news program since 2001? Do you not talk to people? Or, a better question: when other people are talking, do you listen? I'd say at least half of the people in my life are scared of something at least half of the time. Hell, I know some people whose lives are absolutely dominated by fear. They're scared of everything. And everywhere I go — and I travel a fair amount — I see the same thing.

Quick real-world example: been to an airport lately? How did that go for you? Was it a fun, breezy way to kill a couple of hours? Or was it a tortuous slog through about 25 different types of security and safety procedures? Ever ask yourself why all of that is in place? (hint: the answer isn't "to stop terrorists.")

"We're not really afraid of anything"? Seriously, where do you come up with this shit?
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

I don't watch TV, but I have been to an airport several times the last few years. I enjoyed it very much, and didn't recall there being any extra hassle compared to my pre-9/11 flights. Flying is a joy, as well as waiting in the terminals, so I really wouldn't care either way.

But I stand by what I said. There isn't some mass social zeitgeist hanging over our heads fearing the end of the world. Some people might be afraid of terrorists, but not in the same way people feared the Soviets and nuclear oblivion. Nothing has really changed for anyone I know since 9/11. It happened, then life went on. People still have jobs, family, and school. I honestly can't say I've ever come across anyone that was afraid about the state of the world, except for irritation over gas-prices.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Some dude called Frank wrote:I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Idahopotato

Post by Idahopotato »

Redstar wrote:I don't watch TV, but I have been to an airport several times the last few years. I enjoyed it very much, and didn't recall there being any extra hassle compared to my pre-9/11 flights. Flying is a joy, as well as waiting in the terminals, so I really wouldn't care either way.

But I stand by what I said. There isn't some mass social zeitgeist hanging over our heads fearing the end of the world. Some people might be afraid of terrorists, but not in the same way people feared the Soviets and nuclear oblivion. Nothing has really changed for anyone I know since 9/11. It happened, then life went on. People still have jobs, family, and school. I honestly can't say I've ever come across anyone that was afraid about the state of the world, except for irritation over gas-prices.
I really think you are deluding yourself or else just a little too naive to notice. Fear is the prime motivator in this country. Fear also removes the ability to think rationally. Life didn't just go on after 9/11. We are involved in two wars, and still contemplating a third, all because "if we don't fight them there, we will have to fight them here." Fear allowed the last administration bypass the constitution and habeas corpus, and thus foregoing basic human and legal rights, illegal phone taps, even friggin torture for Christ's sake. We still haven't moved any ground on real healthcare reform because people fear the government will bureaucratize it, even though the insurance industry beat them to the punch. Gay marriage struck fear in the hearts of Americans everywhere, and still does. In California, of all places, during the gay marriage bill campaign, the commercials that were running against it stated that allowing gay marriage would force teachers to have to teach it to school children, which doesn't even make sense. Somehow they think that gay rights will turn all of us straight people and their children gay too. Every person on here can quote an example in their life how fear has taken an irrational hold on someone they know. A population that lives in fear is far easier to control than one that strives for freedom.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Careful, or he'll just say that he doesn't recall it, not that there is not a difference between flying now and pre 9/11. It seems that we have a budding semanticist on our hands here. :roll:

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Not much difference in air travel up here, but we "as a nation" got over the whole 9/11 thing pretty quickly, 5 or 6 years ago it was pretty much out of everyone's minds. Not that it didn't have an impact, obviously it did on our national security and such, but most people day to day here aren't afraid of terrorism in the least.

We do our share of being ruled by fear, but I don't think much of it has changed since 9/11, we were always that way (as far as I can tell anyways, obviously I was a child not too long ago and as such don't really go that far back with my opinions).
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

Idahopotato wrote:Every person on here can quote an example in their life how fear has taken an irrational hold on someone they know.
Maybe all of you can, but nothing has really changed for anyone I know. It's just life, and things happen. Life went on, just like AToE said.

But seriously. This is a thread about movies coming out of Hollywood that I personally don't like. If anyone wants to argue about those opinions simply to be contrary, then PM me. It's really not that big an issue.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

(I always thought the biggest fear for Canadians was being mistaken for Americans. :P )
lotek

Post by lotek »

SandChigger wrote:(I always thought the biggest fear for Canadians was being mistaken for Americans. :P )
or French :p
Spice is the worm's gonads.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

The way they talk, are you kidding? Who would ever mistake them for French? :shock: :P

(I mean the kebekwaaaaaaa! waaa! waaaaa!, of course. :lol: )
lotek

Post by lotek »

SandChigger wrote:The way they talk, are you kidding? Who would ever mistake them for French? :shock: :P

(I mean the kebekwaaaaaaa! waaa! waaaaa!, of course. :lol: )

yeah so did I :)

depeest apologies if Canadians don't like to be mistaken for Quebecois or is it the other way round?
Spice is the worm's gonads.