Review - The Fountains of Paradise, by Arthur C. Clarke

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Review - The Fountains of Paradise, by Arthur C. Clarke

Post by Omphalos »

In the world of fabulous technologies that dot the SF landscape, one stands out as truly inspiring, and maybe even attainable: The Space Elevator. Not only does the concept of the space elevator lend itself to dreams of glory similar to those achieved with the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo programs, but the degree to which our civilization would be transformed by its completion is just staggering to comprehend. Complete that thought with the notion that we have almost achieved a level of technology suitable to build the thing, and the mind goes wild with possibilities. This week's selected book, The Fountains of Paradise, by Arthur C. Clarke is a realistic and passable yet unfortunately melodramatic hard-SF exploration of what it may take to design and construct the Earth's first space elevator. This book is one of Clarke's later novels, and in the minds of many it was his last good one. I think that it has some pretty big problems, though most arose out of the author's attitude and intent, not his prose and ideas. This is a tough call. I love Clarke, and this was, in his own words, his favorite among the novels he wrote. Technically it was superb, but it was so full of wide-eyed-wonder and so obviously a wish-fulfillment vehicle that it left me annoyed, wishing for better...Please click here, or on the book cover above, to be taken to the complete review..

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Re: Review - The Fountains of Paradise, by Arthur C. Clarke

Post by SandChigger »

Probably read this soon after it came out in paperback, and have rather fond memories of it. Love that new cover illustration. :P
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

He's done better stuff, IMHO.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

(Ahp. I gathered that from the grade you gave it. ;) )
nampigai

Post by nampigai »

I will have to read some of his books when I'm done with GeOD, HoD and CHoD.
Do not be quick to reveal judgment. Hidden judgment is often more potent. It can guide reaction whose effects are felt only when too late to divert them.
- Bene Gesserit Advice to Postulants
Sandwurm88
Not Soleman

Post by Sandwurm88 »

Yeah, it was a decent one. The City and the Stars and Childhoods End are both better though, and possibly Rendezvous with Rama.