New interview with Bo-Bo

Moderators: ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos, Freakzilla

Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

New interview with Bo-Bo

Post by Omphalos »

Can't recall if this has been put up yet, so...

http://www.the-trades.com/article.php?id=11291" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Re: New interview with Bo-Bo

Post by SandChigger »

I know ByrByr posted it over on DumDum NoNos back in September or so.

(Brian Herbert ... yawn ... who? And who cares? ;) )
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

Some vaguely good news?
We have two more under contract, which would get us up to 18 or 19, and after that -- I think there might be three more and that would be it.
So there's an end in sight to all this shit? Thank you, Volcano God!

:angelic-yellow:

Then again, who knows when the combover will run out of steam?

Edit to Add:
So that would be The Sisterhood of Dune, The Mentats of Dune, and The Swordmasters of Dune.
I never considered Swordmasters to be one of the great schools. Why not Guild of Dune? They chose swordsmen and swashbuckling over mathematics and metaphysics? Sounds about right from these two.
"The Idahos were never ordinary people."
-Reverend Mother Superior Alma Mavis Taraza
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Drunken Idaho wrote:Some vaguely good news?
We have two more under contract, which would get us up to 18 or 19, and after that -- I think there might be three more and that would be it.
So there's an end in sight to all this shit? Thank you, Volcano God!

:angelic-yellow:

Then again, who knows when the combover will run out of steam?

Edit to Add:
So that would be The Sisterhood of Dune, The Mentats of Dune, and The Swordmasters of Dune.
I never considered Swordmasters to be one of the great schools.
Mentats, neither.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
nampigai

Post by nampigai »

How I'd love to see Frank's own notes...
Do not be quick to reveal judgment. Hidden judgment is often more potent. It can guide reaction whose effects are felt only when too late to divert them.
- Bene Gesserit Advice to Postulants
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

What kind of "serious" writer would say, or even do, anything like this?
It's the most obvious "Yeah, we're milking the cash cow" statement ever pronounced.
:mad: :angry-devil: :angry-cussingblack: :angry-fire:
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Drunken Idaho wrote:Why not Guild of Dune?
Neither one of them understands the first thing about the Guild or how travel on a galactic scale worked in the Dune universe. Mostly because they are both dumbasses.

They will stay well away from the Guild, I'd guess. Maybe Keith will try to tackle it for Dune 27: Heighliners of Dune long after Bobo is gone and the HLP has just let him have the property.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Interview: Brian Herbert: The Chronicler Hair of Dune
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I'm still hoping for a title that completely lends itself to ridicule, like Dune: Suks, or something like that.

Goodnight Golden Path!
nampigai

Post by nampigai »

Omphalos wrote:I'm still hoping for a title that completely lends itself to ridicule, like Dune: Suks, or something like that.
doesn't all the KJA/BH titles do that? I'd love to attend their brain storming for the titles.

Winds of Dune... how did they ever come up with that?
Do not be quick to reveal judgment. Hidden judgment is often more potent. It can guide reaction whose effects are felt only when too late to divert them.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

nampigai wrote:
Omphalos wrote:I'm still hoping for a title that completely lends itself to ridicule, like Dune: Suks, or something like that.
doesn't all the KJA/BH titles do that? I'd love to attend their brain storming for the titles.

Winds of Dune... how did they ever come up with that?
They didn't. Their publisher, Tor, made them change it from Jessica of Dune. Watching Kevin squirm during that period was quite fun. I really think he hated the impression that someone other than him had some measure of control over the Dune books.

Even better was when BoredAdmin announced that the new title would be "Jessica to the Winds of Dune," obviously screwing up the message someone sent him saying "we are changing the title from Jessica to the Winds of Dune," or somesuch. :lol:

Goodnight Golden Path!
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

And don't forget that he also screwed up the Throne thing at the same time, too. He kept calling it Leto to the Throne of Dune.

These are the people in charge of the Dune legacy. It is to weep.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

Dukester to the Weeping of Dune
"The Idahos were never ordinary people."
-Reverend Mother Superior Alma Mavis Taraza
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Hack to the Future of Dune
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

TheDukester wrote:And don't forget that he also screwed up the Throne thing at the same time, too. He kept calling it Leto to the Throne of Dune.

These are the people in charge of the Dune legacy. It is to weep.
Forgot about that part. :lol:

I remember when I used to look favorably upon that moron. How wrong could I be?

Goodnight Golden Path!
nampigai

Post by nampigai »

my eyes hurts.
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

Do you think Frank got the idea of BG selective breeding after seeing how his offspring were turning out?
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

chanilover wrote:Do you think Frank got the idea of BG selective breeding after seeing how his offspring were turning out?
:P
Slugger

Post by Slugger »

He doesn't actually say anything in this interview.
Are there any future plans for anthologies of short stories by other authors, done inside the Dune setting?

To do that, it would require a huge amount of fact-checking, so it would be easier for Kevin and I to just write short stories ourselves, as we have. So I'm not sure how we would do that. Kevin and I have a six hundred page Dune concordance that I've prepared, that took about a year, so I know all the page numbers where Frank Herbert described everything. So I'm not sure how another writer would get into all that and figure out all the details.
And he keeps on blabbing about that stupid concordance; those two can't even keep their facts straight. I may be a little rusty, but I think I can keep everything straight.
Paramount ultimately has decided to do a classic interpretation of the novel Dune.
That at least sounds hopeful.
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Slugger wrote:
Paramount ultimately has decided to do a classic interpretation of the novel Dune.
Maybe. A classic interpretation may mean looking at it in the same way Lynch did...
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

SadisticCynic wrote:
Slugger wrote:
Maybe. A classic interpretation may mean looking at it in the same way Lynch did...
I think its going to be FH's book through KJA's eyes. But what do I know?

Goodnight Golden Path!
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Omphalos wrote:I think its going to be FH's book through KJA's eyes.
Gah! That's just repulsive.

I will admit that it would have one thing going for it, though: it would be the absolute, final, definitive proof that no one understands Dune less than Anderjacket.
Slugger

Post by Slugger »

TheDukester wrote:

I will admit that it would have one thing going for it, though: it would be the absolute, final, definitive proof that no one understands Dune less than Anderjacket.
I'd love to sit in on one of the screenwriters' meetings during which the Hacks offered "supervision" or whatever they called it:

"...But, it says right here, on page 1, that Paul was born on Caladan. What's this Kaitain nonesense you're pushing on us?"
Anderjacket: "No, see, according to House Corrino, which is according to this copious amounts of notes that ole Frankkie left behind, his naming ceremony was on Caladan but he was really born on Katain."
"...But, it says right here that Paul was born on Caladan."
"Well, that's just Irulan's interpretation. If you want to get technical, and I know it's hard to follow, which is why Brian had to compile that big consortium of references, that Dune is actually an in-universe text written by Irulan as propaganda."
"Well, can we see this consortium?"
"No."
"Then what about the notes?"
"Uhh...no."
"But it still says right here that Paul was born on Caladan."
"...Talifan."
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Omphalos wrote:
SadisticCynic wrote:
Slugger wrote:
I think its going to be FH's book through KJA's eyes. But what do I know?
Don't get too excited Slugger - in another interview he said "We [Brian Herbert and KJA] gave them a lot of information and our feelings about the need for authenticity."

:doh:
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Slugger wrote:
TheDukester wrote:

I'd love to sit in on one of the screenwriters' meetings during which the Hacks offered "supervision" or whatever they called it:

"...But, it says right here, on page 1, that Paul was born on Caladan. What's this Kaitain nonesense you're pushing on us?"
Anderjacket: "No, see, according to House Corrino, which is according to this copious amounts of notes that ole Frankkie left behind, his naming ceremony was on Caladan but he was really born on Katain."
"...But, it says right here that Paul was born on Caladan."
"Well, that's just Irulan's interpretation. If you want to get technical, and I know it's hard to follow, which is why Brian had to compile that big consortium of references, that Dune is actually an in-universe text written by Irulan as propaganda."
"Well, can we see this consortium?"
"No."
"Then what about the notes?"
"Uhh...no."
"But it still says right here that Paul was born on Caladan."
"...Talifan."
Probably more like:
"You do know Paul was really born on Kaitain?"
"This is a classic interpretation of Frank Herbert's original Dune."
"I can get you fired"
"lolwhat?"